Coca Cola, Hair, No...

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
This video makes me sad :(

1. I'm convinced the clears paid her to do this to throw the international natural scene off course.

2. Yes, it makes me sad also. We've spoken about this before, but I never realised how we live in our little LHCF bubble with all this wealth of correct information while the rest of our sisters are out there in a desert. Worst part is, when you try to tell them about good hair practices, they scoff you off.

nubiangoddess3

1. I'm convinced the clears paid her to do this to throw the international natural scene off course.

2. Yes, it makes me sad also. We've spoken about this before, but I never realised how we live in our little LHCF bubble with all this wealth of correct information while the rest of our sisters are out there in a desert. Worst part is, when you try to tell them about good hair practices, they scoff you off.

I've stopped giving hair advice to ppl. PPl will come up with 1 million reasons why my hair can grow and retain length vs why their hair can't grow.

Maracujá

I've stopped giving hair advice to ppl. PPl will come up with 1 million reasons why my hair can grow and retain length vs why their hair can't grow.

In the ten years that I've been natural, I've only seen one Congolese lady make progress. She posted her pic on Instagram and her hair is fiyah! As soon as I relate to everyone else what I've done, the immediate "ain't nobody got time for alladat" comes out :nono:.

And that's the hardest part because if you do not actually believe that your hair can grow, you won't take the necessary steps for it to grow. It's a vicious cycle.

nubiangoddess3

In the ten years that I've been natural, I've only seen one Congolese lady make progress. She posted her pic on Instagram and her hair is fiyah! As soon as I relate to everyone else what I've done, the immediate "ain't nobody got time for alladat" comes out :nono:.

And that's the hardest part because if you do not actually believe that your hair can grow, you won't take the necessary steps for it to grow. It's a vicious cycle.

This right here. As an African, I can tell you many African ppl women and men don't think African women can grow long hair. I've gotten all kind of crazy question and ppl trying to dissect my DNA even though my hair is 4cdfg.

I think extensions, braids now weaves and wig is just too much of a clutch that ppl don't care about their real hair.

Maracujá

This right here. As an African, I can tell you many African ppl women and men don't think African women can grow long hair. I've gotten all kind of crazy question and ppl trying to dissect my DNA even though my hair is 4cdfg.

I think extensions, braids now weaves and wig is just too much of a clutch that ppl don't care about their real hair.

Yes, this mindset is very pervasive in our communities here too. I will fight tooth and nail to change it *insert emoji bangin' head against the wall here*.

jennifer30

. Theres so many ideas about how to grow hair and most of them are stupid..i was told monistat would make my hair grow...i totally learned my lesson with that. I remember when that stuff made all my hair fall out so i had to big chop and start all over. Hair will grow regardless..retaining and taking care of your hair the proper way what is most important..:nono:

nubiangoddess3

. Theres so many ideas about how to grow hair and most of them are stupid..i was told monistat would make my hair grow...i totally learned my lesson with that. I remember when that stuff made all my hair fall out so i had to big chop and start all over. Hair will grow regardless..retaining and taking care of your hair the proper way what is most important..:nono:

Exercise is best growth aid. I've been on this site a long time and tried a couple growth aid, but nothing beats the growth one gets from daily exercise

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I seriously thought this was one of those joke videos until I read this thread. So many questions...
- She won't drink Coke because of the sugar, but she will put it on her hair?
- Why did she add Aloe Vera?
- Why did she put the wig on when she thought it looked good?
- Where are the coils?? Is she talking about her new growth?
- If she wants coils so bad, why doesn't she cut off the perm?
- Most importantly, who told her that was a good idea????!

Alma Petra

Oh my! The poor poor poor girl! She doesn't at all know what she is doing. She didn't even test the coca cola. Her hair is low porosity and the coca cola just slid off her hair and into the bowl hehehe Also what exactly is that that she did with the aloe vera gel?! She applied to 2 or 3 spots only and just superficially. What's the point?

But really guys the struggle is real. I am from Africa and you will not believe me if I told you that for most of my life I had been natural and I didn't even know that I had curls or coils. In fact I still don't know if I do. I only discovered my curls accidentally a few years after I started relaxing and I only started relaxing after I graduated. So you can imagine. I am trying to transition now and I don't even know if I will have curls. My natural roots are pure frizz with just 2 or 3 coils on my edges so far.
In real life, I had only seen curls on teenage and young adult boys, and these are frowned upon by the society because nobody knows that curls are natural. We always believed that these boys curled their hair using coca cola and the likes and that these curls were synthetic (and a sign of moral looseness). It never occurred to me, or to us as a society or as a whole nation, that these curls could be a natural property of the hair. I think the boys themselves believed that it was the coke and manually coiling (different from finger coiling) that created the curls.

So how can this poor girl know that her coils were gone with the relaxer? She probably relaxes to make her nappy hair smoother and more manageable not to get rid of the coils which she never knows exist and had never seen on anybody around her anyway? So sad!

Alma Petra

On another note, I will definitely wash my hair with coca cola if it will make my roots curl like my relaxed ends do :angel:

DST1913

Man if I hear one more person tell me they dont have time for all that imma scream. That on top of the statements that I'm obsessed with my hair. When you reach your hair goals these same people are asking advice that they arent going to follow.