Cowashing and bunning the key to wsl hair!

LOVE cowashing. Unfortunately, it is TOO cold up here in MI to do it year round, so I do it for six months during the spring and summer when it's warm enough to risk a wet head.

Last year I alternated between VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream and Suave Humectant. This summer, I think I'm going to throw my Joico Moisture Recovery in the mix and see how it works.

As soon as I hit SL *cough* and start texlaxing*cough* I'm right back to my co-washing/bunning regi.

are their any natural conditioners for co-washing?

Even though the shampoos are an oxymoron, I like Nature's Gate conditioners for co-washing, my fave from them is the Aloe Vera.

I have been bunning for the last 3 weeks. I started CW once per week, since its still cool in NY. I moisturize everyday with Mane n' Tail Detangler spray and use a little Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner and seal with Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade :love3: this!

I have been paying closer attention to the ladies whose hair has grown immensely in a short amount of time, and it has been proven that this way is the way to get there. I'm on it now:grin:

I guess technically I have never tried this. Pull back completely wet hair into a bun.

What I have tried is pulling my dry hair back into a bun after I've had it in a braid out or something. Doesn't work. I have too many loose, puffy ends that need about a million hair pins to control.

I feel as if I have to straighten my hair to make a neat bun.

Oh and I worked really hard to get up to just washing/conditioning once a week because I thought that'd be less manipulation. Sigh.. this hair business is complicated!

I'm wondering if it's the water on the scalp, the bun or both that contribute to hair growth. I'm 4a/b. Detangling everyday would cause my hair to break. I'm twisted underneath a wig, so I wonder if I could reap the benefits by wetting my hair in the shower each day while it's still twisted or just spritz the heck outta my hair everyday.

Any advice?

I guess technically I have never tried this. Pull back completely wet hair into a bun.

What I have tried is pulling my dry hair back into a bun after I've had it in a braid out or something. Doesn't work. I have too many loose, puffy ends that need about a million hair pins to control.

I feel as if I have to straighten my hair to make a neat bun.

Oh and I worked really hard to get up to just washing/conditioning once a week because I thought that'd be less manipulation. Sigh.. this hair business is complicated!

Please don't do that. Damp hair is fine, but your hair is at its weakest when wet so bunning on soaking wet hair is going to counteract your whole reason for bunning. Also, if you want to damp bun on a non-wash day, using a spray leave-in and water based moisturizer works just as good.

Wow! This is actually potentially good news for me, only because I have to wear my hair in a bun daily. But I use sock buns. :blush:

Are sock buns still considered "bunning"?

I am going to try this because I have not been able to retain length. In order to keep myself from getting too bored from bunning I'm going to:

1. Buy cute hair accessories eg. pins, and scarves (for wrapping around).

2. Buy a lot really cute earrings.

3. Buy new make-up, and maybe try false eyelashes.

4. Take really good care of my skin (i have acne) because I won't be able to hide behind my hair anymore.

I will probably start bunning in May since I just got a really cute wig that I love, and around that time it will be too hot to wear it anyway.

Wow! This is actually potentially good news for me, only because I have to wear my hair in a bun daily. But I use sock buns. :blush:

Are sock buns still considered "bunning"?

I'm totally not trying to be a smart *** right now but look at the name of it...sock BUN. If a wrapped braid can be considered a bun then idk why in God's name a sock BUN would not be considered bunning.

I definitely agree with the OP. I cowashed and baggied my ends and I got from shoulder to MB. I'm back at BS now due to a dominican blow out. It's getting warmer now so I'm goint to start co-washing, baggying my ends, and using my growth aid. I know I'll be back at MB in no time with this regimen:yep:

I will add co-washing to my regimen starting tomorrow because I desperately need to thicken my hair, retain and increase length.

I've become an advocate for co-washing,and my hair has gotten so healthy and has grown a lot.
See my post on the 'Re-branding' of co-washing.
Someone has taken this idea to another level.
Now I know that outsiders read this board and come away with
excellent hair tips to market to the public.

I'm totally not trying to be a smart *** right now but look at the name of it...sock BUN. If a wrapped braid can be considered a bun then idk why in God's name a sock BUN would not be considered bunning.

....and there are other ways to put your hair in a bun. It's really not serious and I still do not see how it's completely without saying. Anyway, just a small side question since I wear my hair in a SOCK bun 5 days a week and not by choice. Most of the buns I've seen on here do not look like sock buns at all.

I have been a member here for awhile and I realized something. The two things most of the mbl and wsl ladies share on here. They all cowash and bun daily. Only allowing their hair down for special occasions. Anyone else realize this too?

great observation, Kgard7777!

i'm a bit perplexed about the bunning, although i do like french twists and the cowashing is the business!!!

thanks, great thread!

I'm wondering if it's the water on the scalp, the bun or both that contribute to hair growth. I'm 4a/b. Detangling everyday would cause my hair to break. I'm twisted underneath a wig, so I wonder if I could reap the benefits by wetting my hair in the shower each day while it's still twisted or just spritz the heck outta my hair everyday.

Any advice?

Yodie. I was just wondering about this too--whether it's the wet scalp that helps with extra growth. I used to cowash daily a few years ago and I think it did really help with retention, but after awhile, I got so sick of my scalp being wet as it seemed I would have a wet head for the entire day.

So the scalp could be a key, but remember all the folks who were able to grow their hair longer than they had ever achieved by the fact that they were wearing Jheri Curls? Well, they definitely were not washing every day or every week for that matter.

Also, there is a old long thread on here by HoneyRocket. I think it's called, "Look what I found," where she interviews a woman who said she grew her hair to WL from simply applying conditioner to her ends every night before bed. She said that was all she did.

So for the ladies who have achieved great lengths with cowashing, do you always wet the scalp or just focus on wetting the length of the hair?

GREAT QUESTION TALLNOMAD!

who knows if it's the scalp or the ends that really does it?

also, thanks for that tip about conditioner on the ends every night!

I think that it's no surprise that wet bunning works. From all the threads that I have read on LHCF two things stick out in my minds as encouraging maximum growth:

1. Clean scalp
2. Nourished scalp

It's like growing a plant, its needs food, water and well irrigated roots. I am sure that it's the same principle with hair.

That is not to say that you won;t get growth any other way, but rather that you optimize your growth this way.

ARE YOU LADIES DETANGLING DAILY DOING THIS?

My word, that would be murder on my hair. I co-wash (or simply put water on my roots) almost daily but I only detangle once a week max. I use a soft boar bristle brush to smooth my hair back, a little oil, grease, and leave-in, and a scraf to lay it flat. In the morning, I bun or ponytail.

That's it. Not daily detangle.

My hair is too short to bun at this time but as for as daily cowashing and rinsing hair, I DO NOT detangle each time. I’m going to try this two strand twist style for a PO off and on for the next couple of months so there will be no need to detangle.

You are right, for most, it would be MURDER for your hair if you detangled thoroughly everyday. Most just let the moisturizer run through their hair and keep it movin’ to the style (bun).

Side pernt: Every since I colored my hair (maybe my porosity is on point now) I have no need to detangle as thoroughly as I used to.

Yeah I am trying to get my hair to a length where I will start bunning. Since I don't use a brush :nono:, I am too scared to bun with the length I have, even though I think it would work.

So when I start getting longer inches, I will for sure start bunning.

ARE YOU LADIES DETANGLING DAILY DOING THIS?

My word, that would be murder on my hair. I co-wash (or simply put water on my roots) almost daily but I only detangle once a week max. I use a soft boar bristle brush to smooth my hair back, a little oil, grease, and leave-in, and a scraf to lay it flat. In the morning, I bun or ponytail.

That's it. Not daily detangle.

I think this might be an issue of mine. I tend to gently fingercomb and detangle almost daily :/.

I'm going to minimize it to twice a week only.

Back