Cowashing and bunning the key to wsl hair!

drappedup

Hmmm....well I've been cowashing and bunning for a couple of weeks now. I usually comb gently with my Ouidad detangler comb through my hair afterward before putting it up into its bun. I've had nothing but good results. I do have thick hair, though.

But this thread is super interesting. I've been cowashing and bunning consistently every night for the past month except for 2 (one being last night >.<), and I feel like my hair is in way better shape than before I used to. Will keep going definitely. :D

grow

i've been doing this since i first posted less than a month ago and i can already see a big difference in my hair!

it is healthier and i do beleive it has grown much more, too!

aymone

I have to say that I also agree with cowashing and bunning. Cowashing allows you to keep those roots or the newgrowth really soft and then for the rest of you hair it keeps it well conditioned if I can put it that way. Now bunning allows you to keep your length, because the less trim you get the better and then you can achieve that blunt which when you have thin hair like mine is priceless.

As far as combs, I would say that I am having a great experience with the bone combs from Hairsense.com. They are kind of pricey, but then again it's quality and anything for my hair, right.

I think if I had bunned sooner or earlier in my hair journey, my hair would have been on my butt by now, seriously.

beans4reezy

Last summer, I cowashed and then bunned my hair after every workout. This was the best thing I ever did for my hair- my hair retained moisture (and length) like crazy. Right now, I am stretching, so my hair stays protected in braids, but after my retouch, I am going right back to cowashing and bunning. It works! :)

LeftRightRepeat

With the hot weather upon us I have to wash at least 2 x a week (up from one), because of my sweaty, itchy scalp .

Maybe one of these could be a co-wash, or maybe my hair would still feel dirty if I don't use shampoo :think:

The plan is to wash (or co-wash) and bun once a week, and rollerset once a week. I plan to do this from now until the end of summer .

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

I only detangle once a week. I co-wash 3 times a week and just brush it back to smooth down. I couldnt imagine trying to detangle every co-wash

newgrowth15

I love co-washing and bunning. I have very thick 3c/4a hair that is hard to control without heat. I used heat on my hair 3X's in the last four months (for special occasions and length checks). Now that all the major events are over, I have gone back to co-washing 2-3 times per week and bunning every day. I don't plan to use heat on my hair for the rest of this year (not even for length checks). I am currently APL when straightened and want to get to MBL by December 2010.

grow

I only detangle once a week. I co-wash 3 times a week and just brush it back to smooth down. I couldnt imagine trying to detangle every co-wash

I don't plan to use heat on my hair for the rest of this year (not even for length checks). I am currently APL when straightened and want to get to MBL by December 2010.

Hi LaFemmeNaturelle! i hear ya! i couldn't imagine detangling after every cowash either!
first i tried going 3 or 4 days without detangling and now i've worked up to once every 2 weeks! (plus, when bunning, it isn't essential to have "comb through hair, right?) i just smooth my hair with my hands into a bun.
this fotki: http://public.fotki.com/sylver2/ helped me alot.
plus i do alot of oil rinses so by the time my hair dries, i can run my fingers through it!

Hi Newgrowth15! i also completely agree with the idea of not using heat ---even for length checks! i was going to use heat when i started at the beginning of the year, but then i thought, "why should i risk damaging my hair JUST to see how much it's grown"? it seems like that would defeat the purpose, right?! (grow it, just to fry it off again checking how much it's grown!:lachen:) so i think that's a wise decision. i've decided to wrap it once i touch up my texlax which will get it flat enough to see any differences.

LADIES, a pearl of wisdom i've heard from another thread is that we need to be careful about WHEN we bun our cowashed hair because it is much more fragile directly after cowashing.:blush:
now, i'm gonna let my hair dry a bit before i bun it up.:yep:

HHJ LADIES!

cch24

I cowash daily and detangle daily as well. When I was transitioning detangling was a must because of the line of demarcation. Now that I am fully natural I have discovered that my hair is not tightly curled, and likes to be combed. I detangle with the conditioner in my hair under running water, apply my leave-in and moisturizer, and then use my hands to smooth my hair into a bun. Works like a charm, for my hair at least.

ChristmasCarol

Jason Jojoba, Redken Smooth Down, White Rain Tropical Coconut, VO5 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner...and on and on. I'm not ashamed of being a conditioner junkie. Higher-end or cheapie - love 'em all.

Lola Laughs

Jason Jojoba, Redken Smooth Down, White Rain Tropical Coconut, VO5 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner...and on and on. I'm not ashamed of being a conditioner junkie. Higher-end or cheapie - love 'em all.

I was just pleasantly surprised by the bolded. Great slip, nice smell, moisturizing enough and got it at the dollar store to boot--I just can't bring myself to spend a lot on an instant condish that I'm going to just rinse down the drain.

blackindia07

I want to try cowashing so badly but I prepoo with LOTS of oils (thick ones like castor and wheat germ), avocado and coconut milk. And relunctant to stop since I have seen such a difference in my hair since I started. I dont think Id be able to get all of that out of my hair just cowashing....Ya think???

grow

I want to try cowashing so badly but I prepoo with LOTS of oils (thick ones like castor and wheat germ), avocado and coconut milk. And relunctant to stop since I have seen such a difference in my hair since I started. I dont think Id be able to get all of that out of my hair just cowashing....Ya think???

i've heard that conditioners have cleansing agents in them already.

when researching i even found that my beloved ORS HAIR MAYONAISE has SLS in it. (so i had to let it go...no more sls's for me..too strong)

i actually put jbco on my hair AFTER i've cowashed and moisturized and i do oil rinses from time to time, so imo, i don't think it would be bad.

but everyone's hair is different. so you might want to try it to see how it works for you.

Barbie83

I've been co-washing and bunning 3-4 times a week for about 2 weeks now (due to my 2x a day workout schedule) and my roots feel craaaazzy thick :yep:

I'm gonna keep this up until Mid-may when I get my sew-in

Stella B.

I have just started to co-wash every 3-4 days with 3 different conditioners. (trying to use up all these conditioners I have.) It seems my hair likes it so far...:yep:

lolascurls

I usually use just herbal essences Hello Hydrations and LTR but I just got some L'oreal conditioner that has ceramides in it.
So far so good. I co-wash about 1-2 times a week and I used a knock off Aussie Moist condish as the first rinse then use the ceramide conditioner.
I'll see if I notice any differences in manageability by the end of the week! :sigh:

grow

what about bunning techniques.......

i'm curious to see how we bun....

ok, i'll start...while my hair is still wet, i put my leave in's on, then i seal with oil.

i let my hair airdry a bit with that on it, then i get my sandwich bag and put my ends in.

then i roll the sandwich bag up close to my scalp and put on a scrunchie.

then i cover my bun (sandwich bag) and i'm ready to bounce!

grow

hi ladies, i'm about to see how this technique has paid off soon!

i'm just waiting for some products to arrive (hopefully by next week), then i will finally perm!

i'm 16 weeks post, and learned about and started trying this method since the end of march '10.

so far, looking at the damp ng and measuring it, i've noticed more than 3 inches of ng to perm, but the final verdict will arrive once it's all straight, so we'll see......soon!

belldandy

^^can't wait for the pics! :)
I usually cowash with Aussie moist or an Organix condish, they smell really great :)

grow

^^can't wait for the pics! :)
I usually cowash with Aussie moist or an Organix condish, they smell really great :)

thanks, girl! this time, even i cannot wait to take the pics!:yep:
(i'll be posting them on the APL thread.)

i just can't wait to finally "see" my hair again after 4 months....i've been missing it like crazy!:lachen:

good choice to cowash with products that smell good, too!:grin:

i think that helps us want to use them more often.:yep:

ladysaraii

I cowash daily and detangle daily as well. When I was transitioning detangling was a must because of the line of demarcation. Now that I am fully natural I have discovered that my hair is not tightly curled, and likes to be combed. I detangle with the conditioner in my hair under running water, apply my leave-in and moisturizer, and then use my hands to smooth my hair into a bun. Works like a charm, for my hair at least.

I'm the same. i detangle with each wash with wet hair and conditioner.

I no longer comb my hair dry, it has to be at least damp if not completely wet, if not I have problems.

But I have yet to have an issue using a shower comb on my hair. And I'm 11 months post.