December 2015: Hits & Misses

NappyKinks

Miss:
Obia Twist Whip
Dry crispy hair. I used this over Oyin Hair Dew to twist my hair for a twist out. It took 2 days of moisturizing with Annabelles ayurvedic hair cream to restore moisture!

Hit: Obia Naturals upgraded my 4oz Twist Whip Butter to an 8oz jar

Miss: Obia Naturals Twist Whip Butter was a total fail. I sooo wanted to love this. I saw several YouTube reviews of this Twist Whip Butter, most notably Ty Crable's review/demo. Her jar of Twist Whip was thick and creamy and looked like a real whipped butter. It made her twists (and hands) shiny and juicy.

I was so surprised when I opened my jar and found it to be a watery cream. In all fairness it was very hydrating but not at all moisturizing. I used it on freshly washed and conditioned, lightly damp hair after moisturizing with Obia Naturals Curl Moisture Cream. It went on easy and light and soaked right into my strands, no white residue. However, I soon realized that it wasn't going to work for my thick, dry, thirsty strands because my ends didn't curl. If my ends don't curl up then my hair isn't thoroughly moisturized. As my hair started to dry my twists began to unravel and by the time my hair was completely dry I didn't have a single twist left on my head and my hair was dull and crispy. My hair and hands were not left shiny and moisturized like Ty Crable's, instead they had zero residue, no moisture, no oil, no butter, no softness and no shine. I might as well had just twisted my hair with tap water.

I tried it a secomd time on clean dry hair followed by a thick sealant, Blue Roze Beauty Pumpkin Seed Hair Whip (old formula with kokum and mango butters). I had some nice shiny juicy twists for several days.

I'm gonna have to use this "twist whip butter" as a light leave-in condish under heavy emollient sealers. Imo it lacks the butters to be considered a "twist whip butter" and the oils to be used as a post style second, third day hair moisturizer/ refresher, at least for my hair anyway. I was truly disappointed with this product.

Last edited:

NappyKinks

Surprising Hit: Obia Naturals Curl Enhancing Custard. I really just bought this to complete the Obia Collection and had zero hope of it working on my strands. Well not only did it give great definition and shine to my curls and coils, but it it also defined the strangely wavy frizzy hair at the sides of my head around my ear. That part of my hair is soooo weird, it just hangs there, it doesn't hold a curl pattern even when wet. It grows almost straight and every attempt to style that area results in tangled frizzy mess. Well Obia Naturals Curl Enhancing Custard worked on that section and now it has a defined wavy pattern. :yahoo:

Miss: Unfortunately I still can't wear a wash & go because with my mix of textures (4a-b at the front 1/3 of my head, 4c at the crown, 3c in the back 1/3 with that 2(?) whatever wavy on the sides), no matter how much my curls, coils and kinks pop, and no matter how I style and fluff, it always look like I'm rocking a mullet.:crybaby: I mean a full on 1985 Mel Gibson & Tina Turner Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome mullet, the curly edition. I am so tired of :catfight: with my hair.:cry3::(