Decided to go natural

beawo

I have decided to go natural. On saturday i cut the back of my hair off i just had enough. I can't be bothered with this perming hair nonsense (in my opinion). I just want my natural curls again and long natural hair not long permed hair. Well I suppose i have another 4years to grow my hair to waist length. I cut my hair so that i didn't get tempted to go back to perming my hair. I left the front of my hair still straigth so I could tie it up whilst growing the back of my hair.

daviine

Congratulations Beawo!!!!!!!!!

I admire anyone who just chops it all off to go natural.

Happy New Year and Happy Hair Growing!!!!

Enjoy your natural tresses and post pictures too---I'd love to see a picture! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

babyblue

Congratulations!!

I'm always glad to hear of new people becoming natural. Accept your yourself and dont mind those "haters" who will try to test you later on.

Kitkat

Good luck to you, Beawo! I hope that this works for you. How long is your hair now that you cut it off?

skegeesmb

Congratulations beawo,

I will tell you this, if you haven't dealt with your natural hair in a while, the first few months might be a little frustrating. 6 months is the time when I had the urge to relax again. I didn't do it, but my hair was nearing the in between stage and I just wanted to show the world how long my hair had grown in that time.

I'm not knocking relaxers in any way, but I do want to tell you that you might have some rough patches. www.nappturality.com has good albums to help you during your journey. Also if you can try to go to your library and rent Pamela Ferrel's Let's Talk Hair. It is a very good book, and has helped me out tremendously.

Always remember, you can style your hair in various ways, and can even wear it straightened. And if you relax again, never let people make you feel bad about it. Your hair is your hair, and don't let anyone try to dictate you on how you should be since you're natural.

BrightEyes

I LOVE "Let's Talk Hair". It really gave me a leg up during my first few years as a nappy head. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Skegeesmb was on the money about getting frustrated. It will probably happen, but if you can withstand it, you will really be glad that you did. I really enjoy being natural. It gives me a strange but pleasurable sense of freedom. I hope you experience this too.

Faith

WTG beawo! I hope it's an enjoyable experience for you. We're all here to help you along. Nice start to 2003. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beana3

i hope eveything turns out well for you!! going natural is something i hope for the strength to do....

beawo

Yeah I did get a sense of freedom when I chopped my hair off. I felt a big relief and an sudden rebirth. I free much more beautiful not having to worry about my hair looking too kinky even though was relaxed. I hope I last. I don't think I want to perm it again and if i do so be it.
Funnily enough i decided to go natural based on a site a was reading owned by a white person with straight long hair. It were these words:
"If you want long hair you have to cut off all the unhealthy bits of your hair and don't use chemicals your hair"

I don't know how long my hair is now because it seems as though the new growth of my hair is still a bit straight. So I will have to wait another month to really do my chop.
Thanks for the support guys. I will keep you guys informed of my progress.

Faith

Beawo you're not natural anymore are you? It didn't look like it from the pics you posted at BHCAB????

Valerie

Congratulations on your decision! I have now been natural for 2 years and 10 months and it has been a learning process for me. There are a lot of natural haired ladies on this board will inspire you, whatever you decide to do and even if you feel that you cannot cope very well with being natural and you try texturising or go back to relaxing. This board is full of wonderful support, whatever you decide to do. Good luck on your hair journey.

jainygirl

Congratulations :bouncy: You'll be less stressed about how your hair looks now and more able to just let your hair be AND grow. Good luck ;) -- jainygirl

Last edited:

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Congrats on your decision to go natural! All the best to you in reaching your hair goals. :)