Did you know Giovanni direct leave in changed it's formula?

Honi

There is no board.
If this has already been posted I apologize. I hate when they do this!!! :mad:

I had a couple of bottles of the old forumula (the one with the leaves on the bottle). Consistency was kinda runny and not really thick. This melted into my hair and I loved it.

Aqua (Purified Water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil, Clary (Salvia Sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Cetyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethlyglycinate, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived).

Got a new bottle with polka dots on it and now has the words "weightless moisture" on the bottle. Consistency was thicker and creamier. New formula has aloe. My hair hates anything with aloe in it. It's the second ingredient from the top. I need to hoard bottles with the leaves on it!

Aqua (purified water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Uritica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Thymus Vulagris (Thyme) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Equistetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Cetyl Alcohol (plant derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Citric Acid (corn), Phenoxyethanol, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived), Fragrance (includes Essential Oil)

mscocoface

Drives me to distraction when the ingredients changes on hair products especially.

Ladies need to stock up if this is one of your staples.

Kellum

Girl I had to run in the other room to see for myself. That's my staple leave in and I love this stuff. I have the bottle with the poka dots on it. I guess this is the new bottle and its the one I have always bought. The ingredients are exactly the same as the old bottle. I always pay attention to ingredients and never noticed a change on any of my bottles. I love the consistency being thick and creamy.

Honi

There is no board.
I'm freakin fuming right now and sent them an angry well constructed letter (no profanity though :lol)

To think I was going to get a gallon of this on my next order. :whip:

Honi

There is no board.
Girl I had to run in the other room to see for myself. That's my staple leave in and I love this stuff. I have the bottle with the poka dots on it. I guess this is the new bottle and its the one I have always bought. The ingredients are exactly the same as the old bottle. I always pay attention to ingredients and never noticed a change on any of my bottles. I love the consistency being thick and creamy.

Old formula was not nearly as thick as the new one.

Glad you still have the old forumula. Be on the lookout when you purchase in the future because the transition is here.

Kellum

You know I've see the other bottles with the leaves on it and thought that was a new look. I never knew that it was the old bottle and I was buying the new one. Thanks for pointing this out. I will be extra careful now when buying this to make sure I am getting the one I have always used. I would hate to have to find another staple leave in that is cone free.

Kellum

Old formula was not nearly as thick as the new one.

Glad you still have the old forumula. Be on the lookout when you purchase in the future because the transition is here.

Yeah I guess its time to stock up.

Shoediva

I heard mention they were changing it on another forum. I just order this wed, I'll be sure to check when it arrives.

Kellum

Honi look and see if you can find the new bottle with the old ingredients and see if your hair likes it. It may be thicker than the old formula but you may like it since it doesn't have aloe. I know a lot of grocery stores sell Giovanni as well as Walmart too.

Honi

There is no board.
Honi look and see if you can find the new bottle with the old ingredients and see if your hair likes it. It may be thicker than the old formula but you may like it since it doesn't have aloe. I know a lot of grocery stores sell Giovanni as well as Walmart too.

Good idea! I guess I know what I'll be doing lunch time. :cowgirl: It's time for me to relax and I needs my stuff :lol:

ETA: I saw on another board that some of the new bottles may have the old formulas in them.

PPGbubbles

This is good to know! I fairly recently (within the last month) bought a new bottle. And my hair hated it!!!!!

The thickness left a nasty film

I used giovanni like a year ago and only stopped because of money issues....this is interesting to think that my hairs rejection of this leave in may have been due to the new formula!

Kellum

Good idea! I guess I know what I'll be doing lunch time. :cowgirl: It's time for me to relax and I needs my stuff :lol:

ETA: I saw on another board that some of the new bottles may have the old formulas in them.

Good luck with that. I think I'm gonna run out and get me a couple of bottles today as well.

MissMusic

Yep, a lot of their product ingredients have been changed from oils to extracts. I tried the new smooth as silk conditioner and it did nothing for me.

Honi

There is no board.
Yep, a lot of their product ingredients have been changed from oils to extracts. I tried the new smooth as silk conditioner and it did nothing for me.

Oh snap! :shocked: I didn't even notice that the oil vs. extract change. Good catch!

Desarae

Yep they changed the formula of thier products a while ago, that's why I stopped using them.

A lot of people like the new stuff, though.

Jetblackhair

All of my bottles with the dots on them are the old formula with Rosemary Oil being the second ingredient. It also says weightless moisture on the front.

I guess now I'm going to have to pay close attention when purchasing. Thanks for the info. OP.

apollo

This is funny that you brought this point up. I bought a bottle on sale at the whole foods store and I thought it went bad. The smell and the texture was so different to me, after a while I thought maybe someone took it back and put something else in it. I trashed it!

Last edited:

longhairlover

great, how in the hell are we supposed to stick to certain products if the ingredients are always changing? i'm gonna start contacting these companies because i'd like to know why they do this constantly, it's not broken but they have to go and change stuff, just changing one ingredient can destroy a product it's that serious.

sigh, rolls eyes ;( if I can't find the old one which I have (still a good amount left) guess i'll be "on to the next one" next product that is.

Last edited:

LaToya28

That's interesting...I bought a bottle with the leaves on it from TJMaxx and it was suuuuper thick and left a nasty film on my hair. I thought that maybe it was an older formula, so I returned it and bought the bottle with the dots from Target. It contains no aloe; the second ingredient is rosemary oil.

aprils13

I knew it!!! My hair didnt feel the same afterwards.

But I'm not going to trash mine, I'll mix it with a few other things like oil and water for a spritz/mist for the spring.

longhairlover

ok so now I feel like a blatant idiot :lachen:. I checked my bottle of giovanni d. and it has aloe in it :wallbash: I actually like this version. now i'm confused :spinning:

guess I won't be on to the next one.

great, how in the hell are we supposed to stick to certain products if the ingredients are always changing? i'm gonna start contacting these companies because i'd like to know why they do this constantly, it's not broken but they have to go and change stuff, just changing one ingredient can destroy a product it's that serious.

sigh, rolls eyes ;( if I can't find the old one which I have (still a good amount left) guess i'll be "on to the next one" next product that is.

PhonyBaloney500

If this has already been posted I apologize. I hate when they do this!!! :mad:

I had a couple of bottles of the old forumula (the one with the leaves on the bottle). Consistency was kinda runny and not really thick. This melted into my hair and I loved it.

Aqua (Purified Water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil, Clary (Salvia Sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Cetyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethlyglycinate, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived).

Got a new bottle with polka dots on it and now has the words "weightless moisture" on the bottle. Consistency was thicker and creamier. New formula has aloe. My hair hates anything with aloe in it. It's the second ingredient from the top. I need to hoard bottles with the leaves on it!

Aqua (purified water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Uritica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Thymus Vulagris (Thyme) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Equistetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Cetyl Alcohol (plant derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Citric Acid (corn), Phenoxyethanol, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived), Fragrance (includes Essential Oil)

You should bold the oil-->extract and lack of Mallow too. :ohwell:

Man that sucks. I was going to buy another one at some point. Guess I'll stick to my Kinky Curly Knot Today!

Tolle

Team Fluid
NO WONDER!!!! I bought it 2 weeks ago b/c of the raves it got, but the consistency was VERY different from what others described and my hair absolutey HATED IT!! Now I dont feel like a hair outacast...

Honi

There is no board.
What in the world should I do with this bottle of mess? I'm still heated ya'll! Tried it as a moisturizer on dry hair and it just sits. Old formula melts into hair!

I just relaxed and got my hair all nice and soft with GPB and AO WC. U know how u will something to work? Tried it on soaking wet hair thinking it would melt right on in. Nope left a nassy white film on my hair and I could feel my hair begin to tangle and lock up. I jumped back into the shower to rinse it out and smooth on more WC. Used old formula and it worked like a charm.

I hate dem bastids!

Jade Feria

I knew it!!! My hair didnt feel the same afterwards.

But I'm not going to trash mine, I'll mix it with a few other things like oil and water for a spritz/mist for the spring.

NO WONDER!!!! I bought it 2 weeks ago b/c of the raves it got, but the consistency was VERY different from what others described and my hair absolutey HATED IT!! Now I dont feel like a hair outacast...
Yeah! My hair loves the old formula...This new one - not so much. April, what are you going to mix yours with?

Junebug D

I like this new one much better! The old one was too runny. This new one is a great temporary replacement for my Hawaiian Silky until the weather turns nice again. :yep:

Tene

I haven't see the new bottles yet or new formula. I'll have to check next time I buy some.