Diet and my lack of hair growth...

zzirvingj

I think my poor eating habits have contributed to me not achieving hardly any growth lately. I'm at the same length I was this time last year and I was thinking...."what gives"?? I was just reading through someone's fotki today and they were talking about how they noticed such good results from when they eat right. I think I am one of those people who needs to eat well and exercise right in order to have healthy hair and continued growth. (Especially now since I feel like I'm reaching a possible "terminal length"??):ohwell:

Anyways I know I need to eat well regardless, it's just that I had the thought today of how much better I'd be doing hair-wise if I had been eating right lately....

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I am right there with you. I think also along with that, since I'm not taking my iron pills nor am I taking vitamins I'm not doing by body or my hair any justice

Neith

Well... if you have been growing hair BEFORE without the best nutrition, and it won't grow now under very similar circumstances, it may be your terminal length. :ohwell:

Unless there is some BIG, new change... like a problem in your regimen or hair or body health, then it just seems like you may have hit your terminal length.

It's just that absolutely no growth in someone with healthy hair, healthy hair practices, and in good general health seems off.

Not trying to be mean, just being completely honest. Your hair is very pretty :yep:

locabouthair

I am right there with you. I think also along with that, since I'm not taking my iron pills nor am I taking vitamins I'm not doing by body or my hair any justice

I've been anemic for years and would never take my iron pills, eat junk food all the time, and wonder why my hair never got longer.

So, OP, I understand. I do everything else right so I know its my diet thats messing me up.

I just gotta have more self control. I need to stop eating ice cream and munch on some fruit instead. And eat some greens everyday, I heard thats great for the hair.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I've been anemic for years and would never take my iron pills, eat junk food all the time, and wonder why my hair never got longer.

So, OP, I understand. I do everything else right so I know its my diet thats messing me up.

I just gotta have more self control. I need to stop eating ice cream and munch on some fruit instead. And eat some greens everyday, I heard thats great for the hair.

I kid you not, I am eating my ben and jerrys right now :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

shetara20

I feel the same way you do. I feel like if I really tried to eat healthy and exercise on a normal basis i would have longer hair!!!!!

I know for a fact that my hair growth is faster when my diet is healthy, thats why i try to at least take my supplements, which are both powdered veggies that gives me like 13 servings equivalent to fruits/veggies in one serving. It works for me!

laurend

You may be at your terminal length or maybe not. I compare the waist length you are trying to reach to losing the last ten pounds on a diet. When my clients hit a plateau I usually make their workout very hard and I tell them they have to be strict with their diet. Maybe it's time for drastic measures and if you don't reach waist length after doing that, then you may be at your terminal length.

I noticed I'm getting more growth and length because I stopped manipulating my hair. I detangle with a comb every three weeks and I finger comb once a week. You might have to twist up braid up for weeks at a time to get what you want. You shouldn't straighten your hair until you reach your goal. Eating properly and taking vitamins might help also. Also with less manipulation, you might try Ovation products for an extra kick to your regimen.

Good luck

Last edited:

prospurr4

When I started eating healthy (which includes more protein and lots of water intake), taking vitamins and exercising regularly, I noticed that my hair began to grow in faster and thicker. For me, a healthy body definately produces healthy hair.:yep:

tocktick

a healthy body definately produces healthy hair.:yep:

yup! i've read a few times that when your body doesn't get adequate nutrients, the vitamins and minerals go to the places your body needs it the most. your hair, skin, nails etc is last when it comes to the rations and they suffer when you are malnourished.

personally speaking, my hair growth is best when my diet consists of a lot of good proteins, healthy fats and veggies. when i cut back, the changes are evident in my skin within a week (i've proven this to myself many times over :rolleyes:) and i know my hair is not far behind.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that my hair growth is faster when my diet is healthy, thats why i try to at least take my supplements, which are both powdered veggies that gives me like 13 servings equivalent to fruits/veggies in one serving. It works for me!

Where do you get powdered veggies? TIA

Where do you get powdered veggies? TIA

The brands i take are emerald balance and source naturals chlorella, but you can get a green food supplement generally at any health food store, i usually go to the vitamin shoppe. I also just recently picked up the samabozan (sp?) acai berry in powder, one scoop of that is equivalent to 3 servings of fruits and veggies.

Irresistible

If you can try to take a throughly comprehensive vitamin regimen it will make a huge difference

I thought I reached my terminal length years ago, I think its normal for growth to slow down for periods of time too

zzirvingj

Well... if you have been growing hair BEFORE without the best nutrition, and it won't grow now under very similar circumstances, it may be your terminal length. :ohwell:

Unless there is some BIG, new change... like a problem in your regimen or hair or body health, then it just seems like you may have hit your terminal length.

It's just that absolutely no growth in someone with healthy hair, healthy hair practices, and in good general health seems off.

Not trying to be mean, just being completely honest. Your hair is very pretty :yep:

I totally understand what you're saying in regards to the bolded above...when I think about it, my diet has remained pretty much the same over the past 5 years of me trying to grow my hair...yet my hair has always grown. But in 07 I had a very healthy diet for a good part of the year, and when I look at my comparison pics for 07, it seems as though I made the most progress that year when I had a healthier diet and exercise regimen. It wasn't that my hair stopped growing, but it seemed to give it a "boost" :yep:

The brands i take are emerald balance and source naturals chlorella, but you can get a green food supplement generally at any health food store, i usually go to the vitamin shoppe. I also just recently picked up the samabozan (sp?) acai berry in powder, one scoop of that is equivalent to 3 servings of fruits and veggies.

Thanks. I'm going to try this. Your hair is very pretty!

bbdgirl

I def think you may be on to something b/c when I am exercising I notice increased growth, or at least it seems that way.

I def have to get my diet together and get back on the exercise wagon.

I am not going to buy into that terminal length for you or me just yet...:spinning:

Sha76

Wow. Powdered veggies. Sounds good. i ahve a hard time getting Veggies in...

But I too have noticed an increase in hair growth when I exercise and eat right.

bermudabeauty

Lets hope it isnt' your hair's terminal length. Lets be postive. Are you taking any multi-vitamins such as skin, hair, nail vitamins that not only promote hair growth, but also gives your body the daily nutrients it needs? Also have you tried any growth aids? I personally don't take any growth aids, but I have read alot of threads where ladies testify that it promotes growth where they had none. I would try these things. Good luck.

zzirvingj

Lets hope it isnt' your hair's terminal length. Lets be postive. Are you taking any multi-vitamins such as skin, hair, nail vitamins that not only promote hair growth, but also gives your body the daily nutrients it needs? Also have you tried any growth aids? I personally don't take any growth aids, but I have read alot of threads where ladies testify that it promotes growth where they had none. I would try these things. Good luck.

I am currently NOT on ANY type of vitamins! :blush:

Not to mention it's been two days since I ate a vegetable...unless the chopped onions in the flautas I made yesterday count! :nono::nono::nono:

But seriously, my diet needs some adjusting!

zzirvingj

I agree; your hair is gorgeous :yep::grin:

And I will be making a trip to the Vitamin Shoppe this weekend! :yep:

zzirvingj

I am SOOOO with you on the bolded! I need more greens in my diet for real..

zzirvingj

You may be at your terminal length or maybe not. I compare the waist length you are trying to reach to losing the last ten pounds on a diet. When my clients hit a plateau I usually make their workout very hard and I tell them they have to be strict with their diet. Maybe it's time for drastic measures and if you don't reach waist length after doing that, then you may be at your terminal length.

I noticed I'm getting more growth and length because I stopped manipulating my hair. I detangle with a comb every three weeks and I finger comb once a week. You might have to twist up braid up for weeks at a time to get what you want. You shouldn't straighten your hair until you reach your goal. Eating properly and taking vitamins might help also. Also with less manipulation, you might try Ovation products for an extra kick to your regimen.

Good luck

I hadn't straightened my hair but 2 times this year so I figured I'm pretty good with the low-manipulation routine. I wear it in a bun EVERY day LOL....so I know I need to step my "healthy eating" game up...

Neith

I hadn't straightened my hair but 2 times this year so I figured I'm pretty good with the low-manipulation routine. I wear it in a bun EVERY day LOL....so I know I need to step my "healthy eating" game up...

Good luck! Hope you can squeeze out some more inches :)