*Do you Protect your Hair from Cotton or Wool All the Time?*

Do you Protect your Hair from Cotton or Wool All the Time

• Total voters

Sweet_Ambrosia

If so, do you feel obligated to do so else you feel your hair will suffer damage or potentially negative side affects?
(ie. breakage, dryness, slow growth etc..)

If not, has your hair suffered any damage or potenitally negative side affects?
(ie. breakage, dryness, slow growth etc..)

I have always protected my hair with a satin bonnet or scarf when going to bed, but have never thought of protecting my hair from wool, cotton, etc. until I read a post here about winter hair care routines. It makes sense that if your hair is constantly rubbing against your wool coat or sweater, it could damage or rather dry out the ends. I plan to get some type of stylish silk scarf to drape around my coat this winter so when I am wearing my hair down at least it will be rubbing against the silk scarf as opposed to the harsh material of my coat.

I just started to pin my hair up a couple weeks ago to protect my hair from my sweaters which turned out to be the culprit behind my dry and split ends. So far so good, I believe that when your hairs around shoulder length it gets tough to retain moisture on the ends when they're rubbing up against cottony materials. It took me a long time to figure this one out unfortunately :perplexed .

I do a lot of the time. Even around the house I'll wear a pretty, satin robe over a cotton sweater, for example. Since I learned about it here at LHCF, I am much more conscious of what my hair is rubbing on.I do wear my satin and silk scarves to bed, always.

I wear a satin headscarf to bed & when I'm at home. I'm more aware of my hair brushing against wool / cotton since joining LHCF. When I wear my hair out I tend to use more moisture on the ends and now that it's winter and wearing woollen jumpers I will wear a silky scarf around my shoulders.

I normally wear my hair down because I get tension breakage from clips. I just decided to wear it up at work, because I've noticed dry ends. I hope that it will put an end to this.

I've always protected my hair under my hats with a little satin hair cap. I hate hat hair, so I make sure to keep my hair wrapped underneath a nice looking hat, and I'm straight until I get to work.

i sleep with a satin scarf and pillow case. but i haven't done much to protect my hair from my coats/clothing. i really don't know why i am being so lazy about it. my nape already has trouble growing.

i only protest my hair with a silk or satin scarf at night. i think it's a bit much for me to always wear something silk or satin over my shoulder. i'll just moisturize more.

I do all the time. Once (when I was relaxed) I had started wearing a wool coat and my ends were starting to look crappy....someone told me it was because of my coat. From then on I started lining the inside of my hats with satin or covering the collar of my coat with a satin scarf. I noticed a difference almost immediately so I'm sticking with that.

girl... whenever i am laying in my guy friend's bed, i think about the possible damage to my hair because of his cotton pillow cases! sometimes i will tease him and tell him i'm going to get him silk pillow cases. :lol:

I don't.
My hair is damaged but not from that. I will start making more of an effort to protect though.

All the time. I hate that snag feeling you get from wearing wool. I sleep in a satin scarf and have a satin pillowcase just in case my scarf falls off. I'm a wild sleeper! LOL

I have a satin scarf and a satin bonnet which I put on top, satin pillowcases and a silkscarf that I wear with my coat or sweater and I wrap around my car headrest. I am trying to grow mines and I think short hair is harder because its breaks so quickly. So I keep it wrapped all the time. I have no breakage

Before I used to use a satin pillow and really care about my hair, I had bits and pieces all over the bed. Now that I use a satin pillow scarf, I dont get any breakage at all.

I recently went up to NY, during thanks giving. For the few cold days I was there, my hair was sooooo dry and the turtle necks along with my wool coat did what I felt was two months of damagae to my kitchen area and ends.

My kitchen was getting all matted up and knoty. My ends were snapping like left and right- (My hair is not damaged either, I dont use heat, always baby my ends w/ moisturiser and religously do weekly deep conditioners)

I had to buy a silk scarf and tuck it into the back of my turtle neck and wear it over my camel winter coat so my ends would not break.

Cold Weather, Cotton/Wool turtlenecks & Wool/Camel winter jackets are a horrible combination for hair.

Please, please ladies bust out your silk scarves.

Last edited:
For the ladies that are having trouble finding silk scarves, try the websites that sell hijab scarves. Some of them have large (46 x 46 inch) silk scarves in all sorts of prints for as little as $15 a piece. Make sure you read your descriptions so that you don't order something that you don't want.

i protect my hair from wool pretty much always. I had an incident back in 1995 where my fav wool coat of all time was breaking off my hair. it was my sister that noticed & we came to the conclusion that it was the coat because i was rockin it heavy & the hair around the back of my neck was the only area affected. 1995 was the start of my longer & thicker doobie hair years when it was just called a wash & blow, so i was sure to wrap or pin my hair up when wearing any of my wool coats & have been automatically aware of wool coats & sweaters since. I just style/protect my hair accordingly.

I ALWAYS protect from wool.

I protect my hair from my cotton pillow cases & winter hats by wearing a satin bonnet. When I wear my nape down, it sometimes rubs across the neck of my cotton tops, but that's only sometimes.

Back