Do you think caffeine HELPS or HINDERS your hair growth?

An_Original_Copy

I'm on the fence with this one because I've read before from some of the ladies on the forum that caffeine stunts hair growth, but I've been drinking lattes from Starbuck's almost every other day, and my hair growth rate seems to be slightly better that usual. It could be a fluke, but then again, I've read where one lady here on the forum, said that caffeine accelerates hair growth. What do y'all think? Does help or hinder your growth rates?

Arcadian

I don't notice any stunted hair growth at all, but I also drink a gallon of water a day, but I gotta have my coffee. ( I'm just addicted to caffeine :lol: ) I am not a happy camper if I gotta go without.

But all things in moderation. I think if you're putting more than coffee in, you're fine. Bbut there's some people who don't like to drink water so their results may be a bit different.

-A

Firenza

I love coffee too,but I think that it contricts the blood vessels,which isn't good for hair growth or nerves.

MizaniMami

Well I am a pepsi addict! I love it! can't go a day without atleast one cup. But this is a very interesting question. I never even think about it.

Tee

I drink coffee every other day. I really love my flavored coffee also. I have never thought about and growth on hair. hmmmm

leleepop

I really dont think endulging in caffeine would do any major damage as long as you are giving it all your TLC.

An_Original_Copy

Thanx for the replies so far :) Well, I've been into Starbucks myself because of my fiancee and my hair seems to be growing good. Any more replies? I'd like to know if anyone knows any more about caffeine and hair growth being related. TIA

gemini051987

I believe that caffeine would hinder hair growth. When I had a growth spurt of hair two years ago, I drank nothing but water. It makes your body more healthy. If you drink water, your blood is healthy, therefore your body is healthy. When the blood can stimulate better, your hair grows out better and quicker. Growth can be stimulated. I am a drinker and I realized that alcohol is not going to make my hair grow if I keep drinking it. Just change what you eat and what you drink. The only thing good for the blood that contains alcohol is wine. I think this might stimulate some hair growth. Not quite sure yet!

dreysonsmommy2011

Well, before LHCF I used to drink nothing but Dr. Pepper. I didn't drink water at all. I think that it did have a negative affect on my hair. I mean it was like Dr. Pepper was my water.:eek: Now that I drink more water than I do Dr.Pepper and other sodas my hair is doing much better. I think drinking caffeine is fine if you just do it in moderation.;)

Jaelin

I drink tea and coffee, decaf and with caffeine. I haven't noticed any difference in my growth, but it could be related to the the fact that when I drink tea it's usually decaf and I drink more tea than coffee. I will have coffee once at breakfast and no more for the rest of the day, while with tea I'll have it more than once. It could also be related to the amount of water that I drink.

Jaelin

Here's what a quick search in google for 'caffeine hair growth' turned up:

"Eliminate or cut back on smoking, caffeine and carbonated sodas which weaken the body and block maximum hair growing potential."

"Study claims caffeine slows baldness

1/18/2005 - A caffeine extract has proved to be an effective ingredient in a topical hair loss prevention shampoo treatment, research suggests. Believed to be the only remedy to use this ingredient, the makers claim that huge concentrations can help prevent testosterone from damaging hair growth."

From: http://davidhayden.com/blog/dave/archive/2005/08/21/2436.aspx

"Besides drinking green tea, lately I have been reading about other alleged benefits of green tea, such as green tea cream for skin care to fight acne and to help treat hair loss and promote hair regrowth.
Androgenetic Alopecia (aka Male Pattern Baldness)

Although both men and women can suffer significant hair loss, over 50% of men will suffer with Male Pattern Baldness (MPB), also known as androgenetic alopecia, at some point in their lives. The reason behind hair loss is a genetically inherited sensitivity to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and 5-alpha-reductase. The enzyme 5-alpha-reductase converts testosterone, a male hormone, to DHT, the substance identified as the end-cause for hair loss.
Green Tea Catechins

A study shows that the green tea catechins, epigallocatechin-3-gallate and epicatechin-3-gallate are potent inhibitors of Type 1 5-alpha-reductase (the enzyme that binds with testosterone to form DHT)."

And lastly,

"There are a number of foods and substances to avoid and limit the intake of. Substances such as alcohol, caffeine, sugar and nicotine can deplete the body of nutrients and raise adrenal levels, which will cause a chain reaction of producing more androgen and causing hair loss. [notice it says 'can' not that they 'will' cause it.] High levels of saturated fat and cholesterol rich foods are also linked to increased DHT levels and their consumption should be limited. Additionally, common table salt has been linked to hair loss. And the average diet provides the recommended amount of sodium intake; therefore, salt should never be added to food. However, when using salt for seasoning during cooking, be sure to use salt with Iodine being that it is a nutrient that is vital to hair growth as well, unless you are a regular consumer of seafood, which contains high levels of Iodine.

Toxemia can cause a great deal of dysfunction in the body’s systems, including hair-loss related illnesses such as eczema, psoriasis, seborrhea and possibly several others. It is vital for one to cleanse the body of impurities in order to maintain a healthy system and avoid such illnesses, as there are no cure for these illnesses beyond cleansing and the maintenance of a healthy diet to allow the body to heal itself. Regular cleansing should include a diet rich in fiber as mentioned earlier, and the use of added fiber such as provided by consuming psyllium husk as a bulking agent along with laxative agents. More is discussed under the section Natural Hair Loss Remedies.

Although hair loss can be caused by many other variables, lack of proper nutrition will assuredly cause hair loss in many people. Fortunately, adopting a proper diet that includes the above nutrients can reverse hair loss caused by malnutrition. One thing for certain, regardless of whether your hair loss was caused by malnutrition or not, adopting a healthier diet will help the function of other areas of the body."

It is clear to me that there are arguments for and against it. I think I agree with the last bit that I posted about overall nutrition, it really doesn't have to do with caffeine itself. If your body doesn't have the right nutrition or isn't functioning properly then those substances have the potential to cause trouble for you.