Do you think you could have reached your hair goals if you didn't have the $$$ ......

Ramya

Re: Do you think you could have reached your hair goals if you didn't have the $$$ ..

If I were really REALLY broke, umm I would have kept the fade. My hair needs what it needs and my products are not the cheapest.

vkb247

Re: Do you think you could have reached your hair goals if you didn't have the $$$ ..

Quality is what matters. High quality ingredients, techniques, tools, and knowledge all factor into hair growth.

You can get all of these for $ or $$$$$.

mscocoface

Absolutely for me as a natural. I have found more simple products I could use instead of store bought items.

Not so sure about someone who is relaxed though. I imagine there are some things you could use to replace some items but have not researched this area much.

SimpleKomplexity

To me if you don't have time you spend more money but if you have the time you can spend less money.

I use Keracare almost exclusively. My hair has never thrived with drugstore shampoos and conditioners exclusively even after I joined the site. I think the Keracare is a big contributing factor to my growth, but it's a little expensive.

I don't have time to moisturize daily (well I don't make time I'll put it like that) , cowash a lot during the week, and etc. I do the bare minimum, but I don't think that would cut it if I was just using ORS or Suave and etc. I think quality products make a differences, but quality doesn't always equate to high priced either.

Fine 4s

Yes.
I am able to retain length because of my protective styling mostly and nothing else.

The second close reasons would be DCs and I mean any DC really...as I've mentioned before, I've never used the same DC twice. Everytime I finish one, I buy a new one that I've always wanted to try. I moisturize with shea butter.

ETA: This is how cheap am I when it comes to hair products. I can't bring myself to buy Diva Curl for $16, Miss Jessie's for $45+, Joico if not on sale etc, Aveda if not FREE lol...

Last edited:

melodies815

I think I could have had success even without money to buy some of the more pricey products. :yep: When I was a single mom living in NC, I only bought cheap stuff (Tresemme b/c of the huge bottles...lol) and hair protectant for flat ironing (IC). Those were cheap. If I'd never moved overseas, I think my hair would have continued to grow with proper care, but I may have felt like the oddball on this board because I could not buy all the stuff that we rave about so frequently. :sad:

cj

Chromia

Yes. Especially now that I do my own hair and I don't go to the salon every 2 weeks like I used to. My favorite products don't cost that much and I always stock up when they're on sale.

Also, I have not been impressed at all with some of the higher priced products that I have tried.

Starr1

My breakdown ends up being like $5.60 per month on my hair- that includes my shampoo bar, oils, shea, conditioner, tea and herbs, and henna.

Yeah, I'm cheap like that.:look:

Renovating

I think I could have had success even without money to buy some of the more pricey products. :yep: When I was a single mom living in NC, I only bought cheap stuff (Tresemme b/c of the huge bottles...lol) and hair protectant for flat ironing (IC). Those were cheap. If I'd never moved overseas, I think my hair would have continued to grow with proper care, but I may have felt like the oddball on this board because I could not buy all the stuff that we rave about so frequently. :sad:

cj

Exactly, that's the reason for this thread. Of course, I know if I don't have it, I just can't get it, but reading thread after thread saying," Oooh, I'm going to try that, and" then googling the product for pricing and saying," Oh no I am NOT," gets a little :wallbash:

aquajoyice

I know I would have still reached my goals becuase in the beginning my journey I was totally broke, LOL! And to me it was more about changing the way I viewed my hair. All of my staples where affordable like my CON conditioning shampoo and my smooth n' shine hairpolisher. What got my hair longer was low manipulation and no heat.

Aggie

LOL...6 weeks?! You were going straight Victorian weren't ya? :grin: Your hair obviously does well w/ beign neglect.

:yep:, ya know, I think you're right:grin:.

JJamiah

My DAD used Crown Royal Grease with Johnson and Johnson Baby oil and a GOody Brush with Goody hair bows, my sisters hair and mine grew down our backs! grease $3.00, Baby oil today $4.00 Goody Brush Price Less ( I don't think they make them any more)

JJamiah

My breakdown ends up being like $5.60 per month on my hair- that includes my shampoo bar, oils, shea, conditioner, tea and herbs, and henna.

Yeah, I'm cheap like that.:look:

WOW WOW! I wish I could this weekend I am going to get a relaxer, color, deep condition and I am paying $120 for that. (I am bringing my own relaxer, deep conditioner and color)

In that defense since she has been doing my relaxer I have experienced little to no breakage, so it's worth it!

I spend a good $50 on products monthly and $35 (when I don't need a chemical) every other week for a rollerset and deep condition (I bring my own deep condition they friggin charge for the dryer time)

I wish they wouldn't wash my hair when I get there so I could Deep condition myself. But "It is what it is" unfortunately!

hillytmj

Yes, definitely, because I think healthy haircare has a lot more to do with "practices" rather than "products" because you can have the best, most expensive products in the world, but if you misuse them, your hair can still be unhealthy. I also say this because there are a range of women on this board who have beautiful hair using cheapies and/or more expensive products.

anon123

Although my arsenal seems like alot to most people its way cheaper then what other ladies are spending at the salon paying so called "stylists" to keep their hair shoulder length lol

Right. The average black woman spends a lot on her hair. I probably average $15/month on my hair.

jamaraa

I willl say this...you might reach length goals w/ super cheap products, but how will it look? I don't think many of the super ecomony stuff is made w/ African textured hair in mind and that can make a huge diff. Much of this stuff is made for oily Cauasian scalps/hair and would be stripping to African textured hair.

I'm not saying you have to break the bank, but realistically speaking, your hair probably won't thrive to it's ultimate appearance and length using products made for a type so unlike yours.

Last edited:

Neith

I willl say this...you might reach length goals w/ super cheap products, but how will it look? I don't think many of the super ecomony stuff is made w/ African textured hair in mind and that can make a huge diff. Much of this stuff is made for oily Cauasian scalps/hair and would be stripping to African textured hair.

I'm not saying you have to break the bank, but realistically speaking, your hair probably won't thrive to it's ultimate appearance and length using products made for a type so unlike yours.

There are cheap products suitable for every hair type. :yep: