Do You Use Hair Grease?

Is hair grease bad for the hair and scalp?

• Yes, it's bad

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • No, it's not bad

Votes: 82 67.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

What are your thoughts on hair grease? Do you think it is good or bad for the hair? And do you use it?

aa9746

i don't use it. butters, castor oil, coconut, peanut, wheat germ oil works better for me

Americka

I use Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil, which is more like a grease than an oil. It contains all of the things we are supposed to avoid and I love it. I do not apply it to my scalp. It is applied only to my hair, particularly the ends. A little goes a long way and it still allows my hair to have swing when worn straight. What works for some people may not work for others.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I use it & I love it. :grin: I put it wherever I feels my hair needs it (at that particular time when I use it).

Some of the one's I've been using lately are:

Njoi Herbal Hairdressing
Claudie Temple Balm Revitalizer
MyHoneyChild Old Fashion Hair Grease
Darcy's Botanicals Eucalyptus & Mint Hair Butter *more like a grease IMO than a Butter*
Christine Gant Mixed Greens
Black N Bossie

Yeah, I use "Grease" I enjoy them. And I apply it where I feel my Hair needs it.

BillsBackerz67

Im a grease user. I use Blue Magic and Softee Coconut. I dont grease my scalp but I do use it on the length of my hair. Butters, oils (except for Kera Care and Kemi Oyl), and moisturizers do absolutely nothing for my hair.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I used to grease my scalp and I may go back to it. Right now I only use it on the length of my hair. I use all natural hair greases that don't contain mineral oil or petrolatum.

I use:
Hairveda's Almond Glaze
Qhemet's Amla Oil Nourishing Pomade
Claudie's Temple Balm Revitalizer

loulou7

I use Softee and natural oils, they work better for my dry hair than moisturizers... especially in the colder months.

BillsBackerz67

This is good stuff too. I use it when my hair is flat ironed straight in lieu of grease because its lighte and doesnt way my hair down :yep:

I use Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil, which is more like a grease than an oil. It contains all of the things we are supposed to avoid and I love it. I do not apply it to my scalp. It is applied only to my hair, particularly the ends. A little goes a long way and it still allows my hair to have swing when worn straight. What works for some people may not work for others.

darlingdiva

I use grease. I use Hairveda's Almond Glaze for my twistouts & braidouts, and I use the Growth Specifics Revitalizing Hair Balm on my scalp.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I use grease to seal in the winter and I also use this grease I have with tea tree oil on my scalp and it works well in the winter when I'm having dry scalp issues. Has not stunted my growth but I do wash it out with a sulfate poo once a week.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I used to grease my scalp and I may go back to it. Right now I only use it on the length of my hair. I use all natural hair greases that don't contain mineral oil or petrolatum.

I use:
Hairveda's Almond Glaze
Qhemet's Amla Oil Nourishing Pomade
Claudie's Temple Balm Revitalizer

Shay72

I forgot about this one! Yep. Yep.:lick:

prettybyrd

I was on the anti-grease train for a long time. But one day I decided to use grease to seal my ends and loved the way my cornrows looked and felt when I released them.

I now use just a little grease on my ends and on the strands to seal my hair and I have had no problems. My hair is breaking less and I'm retaining more length, so I'm happy!

PS - This is what I use.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I use oils not grease.. but I do not think it is bad either

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I have found that my hair needs a heavy sealant, more than an oil/butter something petroleum based. I make my own grease with vaseline mixed with rice bran and hemp oil. I only apply it to the length of my hair. Keeps in the moisture and because I use a sulfate poo, no buildup issues.

dyh080

After getting on the hair boards I started using natural oils. All they did was sit on top of my hair. I had the dryest, most brittle and breaking hair ever.

I used moisturizer but it quickly evaporated.
Recently, I went back to my old products that allowed me to retain length....I now use vaseline, Blue Magic and even bought a Madame Cj Walker product.

I do not worry about clogged pores because I wash my hair. By the way, long ago when I had a curly perm and used moisturizer and no grease, I experienced clog pores because I washed my hair every 3 weeks. So don't think that you are not clogging your pores with those products.

Last edited:

tenderheaded

We have had such low humidity weather here that I whipped out the Blue Magic a few weeks ago. I use it on my relaxed length after moisturizing and I've been happy and surprised with the results.

I'm going to continue for the winter.

discodumpling

Yes. I love grease for my the length of my hair and sometimes on my scalp. Grease & water have given me the best definition for quick bantu knot outs & twist outs. it also makes my hair feel soft & "familiar"...more like my ideal texture :)

I use Softee coconut & lately have put Kuza Indian Hemp Lite in rotation. Once you get past the petro there is some really good stuff in there! And the price of grease is always right, I don't think i've come across a jar that costs more than $2.50.

FebeeSigns

I think grease is bad for the hair unless it's some kind of organic/natural grease. Oyin's Burnt Sugar pomade is a grease-like texture and my family considers it a grease. However, it's very good for the hair. No preservatives or chemicals.

GraciousMystique

Nope. Not since discovering the hair boards, haven't touched a jar of grease in ages.
Although, my mom used blue grease when I was younger and my hair was healthy and waist length--now it just makes my hair dry.

brucebettye

I use hair grease on the length of my hair when I want to seal in moisture. This really helps my hair when it is very dry.

lana

My real life fabulous hair friend used Crisco on her hair too, for shine.

I use Softee Grease to seal in my moisture and I only use it on the hair, not the scalp. Keeps my hair smoothed out and shiny. Before this I was only using moisture and oils to seal and they just didn't stay on my hair long enough. The Softee Grease stays on the hair as a protective coat and I use just a dab when it's down, spread it on my palms and run it through my flat ironed/bumped hair.

When I wear my hair up, I spread it on thick, especially the ends and this is after moisturizing. I hit bra-strap in the middle for the first time in my life and I attribute it to the following:

Mane & Tail conditioner
Softee Grease
Wearing a bun
Low to minimum heat
Regular search and destroy (trims)

HairGroupie

I don't think grease is bad, but it isn't for me. They feel really heavy on my hair and I can't stand it. I usually stick to light oils and butters.