Do You Use Hair Grease?

Is hair grease bad for the hair and scalp?

• Yes, it's bad

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • No, it's not bad

Votes: 82 67.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

curlycrown85

It's a common misconception that we should oil our scalp when really we should try best to keep our scalp free from any type of product. Oils should be used to seal moisture in our hair after putting some kind of moisturizing aid on it.

In the past, I suffered from an excessively itchy, dry scalp, so I used to grease my scalp, which never cured it. I cured my itchy, dry scalp by shampooing and conditioning with tea tree based products. Shampoo is the only product I put directly on my scalp to clarify. And if I do put oil in my hair, it's after putting some kind of moisturizing aid on it first (like a butter or cream).

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I do! I just picked up a bottle of Softee African Shea butter. that stuff smells :lick:

I used it today, so far so good.

I alternate between Softee and blue magic grease. I just finished a small bottle of ultra sheen grease I had. Grease comes in super handy for me when I'm airdrying or bunning. :yep:

I get no breakage or shedding when I use it. and my hair seems to grow faster as well.

CandiedLipgloss - How long is your hair?

CandiedLipgloss

CandiedLipgloss - How long is your hair?

about an inch away from my bra. or it might be at my bra now, because I haven't straightened in a minute. i've cut it twice since i've been natural.

when i first went natural, i went for my first salon visit 2 years in...my hair was mbl. she claimed i had so many 'dead ends' and took me to shoulder. i wanted to cry, when i finally joined the board and talked to a few ladies on here i realized she lied to me.

now since then, which was back in 09 i'm back to almost bsl.

as far as grease and growth goes, I know it works because when I was in high school and experienced major breakage, I started using grease as soon as school was out for the summer. i used blue magic to be exact. my cousin did flat twist in my hair every week with variations of ponytails and buns. by the time school started back for the fall i went from shoulder length to bra. I think it just really helps with preventing breakage and therefore retaining length.

sorry for the lengthy post.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I think I may try Softee Coconut for my dd. She needs something heavier because she's still getting a few too many split ends and I'm really taking care of her hair. I think oils may be too light for her at this time. She spends a lot of time outside playing.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

BlaqBella

Yes. I use bronner bros. super gro and that stuff has helped my hairline to fill in quicker than my mtg mix has. Sometimes I wonder if its the collagen.

Last edited:

prettybyrd

I tried Earthly Delight Hair Growth Pomade last night. I bought it specifically for my edges, but I used it to seal too. Love this stuff!

snillohsss

nope. The less product I use in my hair, the better it does. That could be due to the color... I don't know.

Tene

I started using grease and it works a lot better than all those naturals oils except castor oil. I use Softee Indian Hemp and Mega Growth greases sometimes. Other than that I use Jamaican Black Castor Oil Pomade, Burnt Sugar Pomade, and castor oil.

Tiye

I use unpetroleum or make my own grease these days but I don't have anything against mineral oil and jelly. When you already have a lot of natural oils, etc., it just makes sense to make use them. :) When people mainly used mineral oil that is because that was what was readily available - they didn't have "exotic" oil and butter vendors like we do now. But the grease works. You don't have to use a lot of grease - just lay your finger on the top of the grease, do not scoop - one or two dabs is all it takes. If you use too much then it can backfire on you.

Seamonster

Love it! My fine hair quit breaking when I my Bonner brothers grease, and started using a hair wax stick.

Maybe I can grow some hair now! Wish me luck.

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

yorkpatties

Don't even own grease.

I use olive oil mostly, sometimes jojoba and coconut for my prepoo.

AND I LOVE NOURISH AND SHINE!

Kn0ttyByNatur3

I stay greasy, shawty. Never stopping. Ever.

gimbap

Sure do! I never stopped. I've used Blue Magic, Doo Gro, Softee Coconut, Dax Pressing Oil, Dax Pomade. I love it. I always use it on wet or slightly damp hair

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
lamaria211

Yep. I use Vaseline as a sealer. It is the only thing I have used that locks moisture in my hair for days and days and days. I also co-wash only and have not had any issues whatsoever with build-up. My hair is retaining like a champ and I fully expect to be APL by the end of the year, if not sooner. And I believe that using "The 'Line" as my sealer is a huge part of that...

HTH!

lamaria211

JulietWhiskey said:
lamaria211

Yep. I use Vaseline as a sealer. It is the only thing I have used that locks moisture in my hair for days and days and days. I also co-wash only and have not had any issues whatsoever with build-up. My hair is retaining like a champ and I fully expect to be APL by the end of the year, if not sooner. And I believe that using "The 'Line" as my sealer is a huge part of that...

HTH!

Thanks babe:)
Do you use it on your scalp as well or just ya hair? Tia

lamaria211

I applied some grease to my minis a few hrs ago and so far im inlove I will be buying more tomorrow:) pjallday!

sckri23

I use grease to seal and occasionally on my scalp when my ng makes my scalp sore weirdly it stops the pain I co-wash the next day tho

ETA: also I used to use grease to hold my ponytail I really dislike gels and once I get back to ponytail length I will be buying a lot of grease

Edit #2: I don't use it straight I dilute my grease with my light oils

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I've been flirting with the idea for months. I heavy sealed with pure shea the other day and my hair was happy. However, the next day its dry again and if I hold out another day that means breakage. Nothing lasts here. Have had a jar of baby vaseline from when my DD was an infant...It's on the counter. Been staring at it for days. lol

MystiqueBabe

Yes I use grease. I use it both on my hair & scalp

For my hair I use

Blue Magic Original (works best and lasts the longest)
Blue Magic Coconut (works well but doesnt last as long as the blue one)
BlueMagic Green/Bergamont I have used and it works well.
I occasionally use Royal Crown

I am a blue magic and a royal crown girl. :lol:

For scalp I use
sulfur8
doo gro
dr miracles hot gro
that grease with the eiffel tower on it
and this grease I bought from tropic isle living
any kind that makes my scalp tingle, I apply them 1-3 times a week.

I also use natural oils on my scalp but grease is cheaper and more readily available.

jprayze

MystiqueBabe said:
Yes I use grease. I use it both on my hair & scalp

For my hair I use

Blue Magic Original (works best and lasts the longest)
Blue Magic Coconut (works well but doesnt last as long as the blue one)
BlueMagic Green/Bergamont I have used and it works well.
I occasionally use Royal Crown

I am a blue magic and a royal crown girl. :lol:

For scalp I use
sulfur8
doo gro
dr miracles hot gro
that grease with the eiffel tower on it
and this grease I bought from tropic isle living
any kind that makes my scalp tingle, I apply them 1-3 times a week.

I also use natural oils on my scalp but grease is cheaper and more readily available.

I grew up on blue magic and royal crown :) and I keep a large jar of blue magic around.