Do You Use Hair Grease?

Is hair grease bad for the hair and scalp?

• Yes, it's bad

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • No, it's not bad

Votes: 82 67.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

djkforeal

I don't mind natural grease...I use Nature's Blessings hair grease, it has petroleum in it but it is the last ingredient and I use it very sparingly. I just rub the tip of my finger along the top layer of grease so that there is only a light film on my finger then I apply it to my scalp. I want to try other natural greases that have good ingredients for hair growth.

Anaksunamon

I love grease! I tried not using it, but that did not work out.

I try all sorts of them too. If there is a new one out I try it out.

I am currently using a shea butter grease from Target. Its on, but I think I will be going back to the Silk Elements line from Sally's. Silk Elements reminds me of Ultra sheen, sadly where I live I can't buy Ultra Sheen anymore.

I even tried the Mexican grease called "Tres Flores" It had too much perfume which dried my hair.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I think we need a grease challenge so everyone can learn about the beauty of grease. This stuff is the TRUTH and is so good I've decided to make grease a permanent part of
My Reggie instead of just for the cold months

dyh080

I think we need a grease challenge so everyone can learn about the beauty of grease. This stuff is the TRUTH and is so good I've decided to make grease a permanent part of
My Reggie instead of just for the cold months

Why don't you start the challenge? I would join. Grease is my "protective style" because, as was discussed somewhere on this board, it protects my ends from the ravages of the air.

ctosha

When on my natural hair journey 3 years ago grease made my hair soft no problems then about a year after I started experimenting with natural oils and found that JBCO worked well for my hair. So fast track 2 years later still using JBCO I tried to revisit grease my hair was not having it. Grease now makes my hair hard and dry not moisturizing at all. If grease still worked on my hair I would continue with it its cheaper than JBCO but unfortunately it just doesn't work for me anymore.

lillylovely

I dont really join many challenges but I'd join this one. Hair grease is my new best friend. After nearly 2 years on the board I thought that grease was the devil! I recently tried it again and I have no breakage now - at las I will begin to see some progress.

yodie

I use ORS Olive oil creme on my scalp and hair. I love it. My hair sheds less when I use some type of grease.

CurlyMoo

All essential and carrier oils, no grease; and my hair is stronger and longer than ever. I may go back to shea butter for my ends in the future.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Recent Grease(s) I've added since my original post:

Natures Blessing
Claudie Shea Butter Pomade
Qhemet Grapeseed & Tea Tree
Hairveda's Almond Glaze
*and if it wasn't on there*
MyHoneyChild's Sophia's Old Fashion Hair Grease.

PureSilver

I've learnt on here that grease clogs ur scalp pores and ur scalp needs to breathe so i stay away, however i love my grease when i'm flat ironing my weaves, it gives it a nice sheen and that sleek smooth look. I may one day try using it on my starnds to seal when i can eventually do a puff but for now its a :nono::nono:for me.

Aviah

I stay away from grease (paraffin). Its not the end of the world because I still had hair on my head when I used it but my hair is softer, lighter, less itchy, smells better (hate the smell of it), accumulates less dirt in the same amount of time between washes (because if the weight), has more body and movement without it.

NaturalBoss

I use grease to seal my ends after I moisturize. I don't put it on my scalp though. I'm currently using Blue Magic Coconut Oil, but I'll pretty much use whatever as long as it doesn't stink.

PureSilver

Godsflower jus wanted to say your 2yrs of growth is AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL. I'mloving the pics in your siggy. HHG!

iri9109

today i went against everything i believe in & sealed with grease:blush:

i saw my blue magic organics super sure gro in the back of the bathroom closet and something just came over me...that was my holy grail grease back in the day lol and it smells so good...my hair is almost dry and it feels sooo soft...besides petrolatum (and maybe lanolin), the ingredients are pretty good.

Petrolatum, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Buxus Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaves (Japanese Green Tea), Tocopheryl Acetate, Apocynum Cannabinum Root Extract, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Flower Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, Trigonella Foenum-Graecum Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Lawsonia Inermis (Henna) Extract, Fragrance

..i have like 1/6 of a jar left, and if i dont have any adverse effects from it, then i'll probably finish the jar, but i wont repurchase because i want to use more natural products that dont have petroleum/petrolatum/mineral oil like unpetroleum jelly and oyin burnt sugar pomade

kellistarr

I like grease. My favorite brands are Wondergro Carrot Oil and Wondergro Real Thick Coarse and Curly When I'm using it for shine, I use a smidgen, by rubbing it in my palms and using it as a finish. Other times, I'll spritz my hair and apply a lot of it to my hair, focusing on the ends, braid it up and then wash it out next day. I like the way different hair grease (s) smell. I don't put it on my scalp. I also like Alberto V05 for super sheen.

JJamiah

I just recently starting using grease again this past year. I bought some Nu-Gro Grease and I am totally loving it when I get my corn rows under my Wigs. I don't grease my hair unless I am in corn rows though.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
When I did use grease, I used things like Nature's Blessing Hair Pomade:

Same consistency as Blue Magic, but AWESOME ingredients like chlorophyll, sage, rosemary, coconut oil, etc. Some greases have harmful preservatives and dyes that I would stay away from.

These days I don't use grease because I stick to butters and unpetroleum jelly. I don't want to overdo it with too much product. :)

Of course, should I decide to go back to grease, Nature's Blessing will be there for me. :yep:

I've been using this too (Recently).:yep:

It smells wonderful and it feels really good and it's alot cheaper than CG Mixed Greens......:lick:

It's a Keeper:grin:

LiftedUp

No, I oil my scalp if I have to. I grease my scalp with vaseline for touch ups though.

I do have a jar of ORS Tea Tree Oil that I mix with a growth aid when the time arises... or for "emergency" purposes.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Nope. I gave up on grease way before I even found this board. It weighed my hair down too much.

I use olive oil now.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i love it! i find natural oils and butters to be greasier/oiler than what i use. i faithfully use my old school apex pressing oil to straighten and style my natural hair. i think the quality of the petroleum makes all the difference.:yep:

MISSYMA

what is your hair regimen? How do you use the softee. Thank you for your response it souds like you keep it simple.

greenandchic

I only use natural oils and butters on my hair and scalp.

Coconut oil
Jojoba oil
Sunflower oil
Olive oil
Hemp seed oil
Castor oil
Vatika oil
Zipporah Beauty Butters
Oyin Burnt Sugar (if I need something with more hold)

I guess they all count as "grease", just not mineral oil/petro based.

KhandiB

Softee Cocount!

Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil used to do good by me, I quit it, and I think I want it back, lol

aa9746

I found a grease without mineral oil so I use it now when I press my hair.

eta: ultra sheen creme press

CandiedLipgloss

I do! I just picked up a bottle of Softee African Shea butter. that stuff smells :lick:

I used it today, so far so good.

I alternate between Softee and blue magic grease. I just finished a small bottle of ultra sheen grease I had. Grease comes in super handy for me when I'm airdrying or bunning. :yep:

I get no breakage or shedding when I use it. and my hair seems to grow faster as well.