Does it bother you when....

B

Bublnbrnsuga

people who claim to be Christians actually agree with the 'okie doke' in the world without standing firm on what the Word of God says about certain issues, ie, cussing, homosexuality, fornication, drinking, smoking, etc?? What about those who say they are Christians but don't believe that the Bible is God's Word? I am encountering too many people like this and it is really upsetting.

Last edited by a moderator:

phynestone

Bublnbrnsuga said:
people who claim to be Christians actually agree with the 'okie doke' in the world without standing firm on what the Word of God says about certain issues, ie, cussing, homosexuality, fornication, drinking, smoking, etc?? What about those who say they are Christians but don't believe that the Bible is God's Word? I am encountering too many people like this and it is really upsetting.

I think for many of us, including myself, it is a process to get to the point where we really learn how to stand firm on His word. There were some things I never disagreed about and others that I was unsure of.

Christians who don't believe the Bible is God's word are probably just confused or haven't learned much about the Word.

angaliquew

19sweetie said:
I think for many of us, including myself, it is a process to get to the point where we really learn how to stand firm on His word. There were some things I never disagreed about and others that I was unsure of.

Christians who don't believe the Bible is God's word are probably just confused or haven't learned much about the Word.

Very well put:)

sillygurl18

Some people IMO want the salvation part but they don't want to walk the walk. They are the people who are saved but live any type of way they want. They have no idea what the Bible says. It could be that they want the world to like them, and acceptance by the world is more important to them than doing what the Word says, they believe that as long as their saved, they can do whatever they want.

Divine Inspiration

Bublnbrnsuga said:

This used to annoy the living daylights outta me! I've since gotten to a place where it doesn't even phase me. I've realized that it is not my place to convince everyone that what I believe is right.

IMO, each individual is doing the best he/she can with the resources and knowledge available at the time. They are making decisions based on personal belief, amd my efforts to convince them that their way was wrong have often been futile. The reason being, it's not my place (or anyone else's) to be passing judgment on how someone is living his/her life. I do not know all of the circumstances and therefore, I don't feel like I can ever make a fair assessment of anyone's lifestyle accept mine.

I think we all have an Achilles heel, and because God sees all sin as sin (not big sin, little sin, bad sin, good sin), I just see it as a weakness b/c I'm sure there are Christians who could examine my life and find things that are wrong.

It does make me wonder sometimes, but I'm no longer irritated with it the way I used to be. :)

Southernbella.

Divine Inspiration said:
This used to annoy the living daylights outta me! I've since gotten to a place where it doesn't even phase me. I've realized that it is not my place to convince everyone that what I believe is right.

IMO, each individual is doing the best he/she can with the resources and knowledge available at the time. They are making decisions based on personal belief, amd my efforts to convince them that their way was wrong have often been futile. The reason being, it's not my place (or anyone else's) to be passing judgment on how someone is living his/her life. I do not know all of the circumstances and therefore, I don't feel like I can ever make a fair assessment of anyone's lifestyle accept mine.

I think we all have an Achilles heel, and because God sees all sin as sin (not big sin, little sin, bad sin, good sin), I just see it as a weakness b/c I'm sure there are Christians who could examine my life and find things that are wrong.

It does make me wonder sometimes, but I'm no longer irritated with it the way I used to be. :)

ITA with everything you said. I used to be so judgemental about what others were doing. I'm at the point now where I can only focus on me and what I'm doing. God will deal with them just like he deals with me.

I think you have to have a balance. For example, it bothers me when Christians say stuff like, "All faggots are going to hell". Would Jesus have said that? I certainly don't believe that homosexuality is right, but I'm not going to walk around proclaiming that certain people are doomed to hell. Because if that were the case, I'd be telling EVERYBODY they were going to hell, you know?

One thing I realized is that some Christians are more pragmatic than others. Some believe the Bible is the absolute final word, every single word of it, while others use it as a guide to their every day lives, without taking it literally. Some even use some biblical principles, but they know that there are some innaccuracies that it was written by men, so they take it at face value. I don't know who is right, but I know we'll find out on Judgement Day. Until then, we all have to do what we believe is best based on our own relationships with God.

The most Christian-like people I've ever known were, incidentally, not the ones who walked around talking about how blessed they were or how good God is or what was a sin and what wasn't. It was the ones who actually walked the walk in their daily lives, without saying a word. Sometimes we get so caught up in looking and sounding like Christians that we miss actually being like Christ.

Just my $.02. And it's not directed at anyone one, it's just me rambling.:)

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

Bubbln, this it OT, but is "okie doke" a Memphis term? I used to talk to this guy who was from Memphis, and he said that ALL the time, and I couldn't figure out where that came from. He was the only person I had met that said that, and I've noticed you say it a couple of times so I'm wondering if that's a city-specific slang term?

firecracker

Bublnbrnsuga said:
people who claim to be Christians actually agree with the 'okie doke' in the world without standing firm on what the Word of God says about certain issues, ie, cussing, homosexuality, fornication, drinking, smoking, etc?? That is their issue and they may not have much self control. Are you without sin? Now for the cussing, occasional slip and foul thoughts thats my burden to bear. At times I want to ask God why me and when will I have more control and obedience. :perplexed What about those who say they are Christians but don't believe that the Bible is God's Word? I have cousins like that. One told me he doesn't have to go to no church for some man to tell him about God and how to live, he doesn't have to give his money to no man etc. I call them God appreciaters. Who am I to judge? I may think he is nuts but oh well. I am not without sin. I do wonder how can you truly know God if you don't read the bible? If you are wondering who wrote the bible and question its validity that means you don't believe. I am encountering too many people like this and it is really upsetting.
It maybe disturbing and make you want to avoid them at all cost. You can be an example to them by your true walk.

:D

ChildlikeEmpress

lauren450 said:
The most Christian-like people I've ever known were, incidentally, not the ones who walked around talking about how blessed they were or how good God is or what was a sin and what wasn't. It was the ones who actually walked the walk in their daily lives, without saying a word. Sometimes we get so caught up in looking and sounding like Christians that we miss actually being like Christ.
I'll be darned. In that one paragraph, you've about summarized my core belief system. *g* I'd also like to add a little food for thought from Matthew 23:23-24:

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel."

Oh, and lest I forget, Matthew 7:4-5:

How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

~R. :Rose:

Last edited:

sillygurl18

Romans 14

The Weak and the Strong

1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written:
" 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.' "[a] 12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

22So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

-------------------

OUCH!!!

Obviously this applies to more than food

ChasingBliss

Divine Inspiration said:

Im loving your entire post...especially the bolded part...eloquently put...

Vintagecoilylocks

To Bublnbrnsuga,

I do believe there are two thoughts on this topic that is important, there are those who are very ignorant to the truth of being in Christ and need some love and guidance to read their bibles and atttend services to learn what being in Christ is and how to open themselves to grow and be filled with the Holy Spirit. The Bible is full of examples of how it is not neccessarily something people will pick up on their own but need guidance and teachings in the word. There also needs to be from the Christians who know how to witness in word, deed, and teach others the truth that the Bible is the inspired word of God and not just some opinions of a few men.

Then there are those who knowingly reject the commandments of Christ to do his word. They do make a claim to Christianity but seem to only work to bring it down in the eyes of others. Either due to an unwillingness to submit to the word or they are not genuine in there confession that Christ is Lord.
The Bible has warned us of those people to. Those who have come out from us but are not truely of Christ. Either way they need to be made aware of the fact that they may cause others to stumble.

With prayer, discernment and guidance from your teachers in Christ you can learn to witness in love to both. It will then be up to them to hear and respond. We are called to witness and praise God and bring the gospel to all
those who will hear. We are also warned about being a stumbling to fellow believers.

Let your irritation motivate you to spread the word.

Last edited:

shalom

I agree with Bulbln's statement. With prayer, discernment and guidance from your teachers in Christ you can learn to witness in love to both. It will then be up to them to hear and respond. We are called to witness and praise God and bring the gospel to all
those who will hear. We are also warned about being a stumbling to fellow believers.

Let your irritation motivate you to spread the word. My 2 pennies: Without man (kind) knowing what he does is sin how can he be convicted and turn to God? Isn't it the guilt from our sins that move us to accept Jesus as our Lord and savior? If there is no guilt about sin how are people going to get saved? People need to be made aware. However, the word should be ministered as Bublin stated with love and kindness, not arrogance, pride and haughtiness. Now for people who nitpick and judge based on their own high-minded-ness(not a word) and personal opinion I think this is wrong. I also think that these type of opinions are what turn most people away from everything that has to do with God. Christianity and God get the blame for folks not minding their own business.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Divine Inspiration said:
Bubbln, this it OT, but is "okie doke" a Memphis term? I used to talk to this guy who was from Memphis, and he said that ALL the time, and I couldn't figure out where that came from. He was the only person I had met that said that, and I've noticed you say it a couple of times so I'm wondering if that's a city-specific slang term?

Nope. I don't hear Memphis folx saying it, so yeah, I am coining it:lol:

B

Bublnbrnsuga

For those who believe all you really can do is make sure you're living by the Word and not worry about what others do, because that would be 'judging,' do you all feel that is possibly selfish?

Southernbella.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
For those who believe all you really can do is make sure you're living by the Word and not worry about what others do, because that would be 'judging,' do you all feel that is possibly selfish?

Not at all. It's one thing if they don't know what the Word says. It's quite another if they know and choose to do what they want anyway. That's between them and God.

It took me awhile to get to this point, but I now firmly believe that a person's relationship with God is between that person and God. If I really feel God leading me to witness to that person, then I will. Otherwise, I just let my light shine and deal with the planks in my own eye.:)

firecracker

Don't fall for the okey doke is a common saying DevineI.

Originally Posted by Bublnbrnsuga

I don't think its selfish. I think when people witness the change they see in you because of your relationship with God they are more prone to want to change and not feel you are judging them. I know from my own experience and certain friends I am not prone to use certain language because of their Christ like aura. They usually remind me of my weakness ,as well as, my strength. When they see my horns about to rear up. They offer advise or words of wisdom. It could be as simple as "we are going to rein our tongue today remember" or "What would Jesus do?". Now that isn't judgemental just a reminder I am trying to change my ways in a certain area.

charmingt

latia said:
Don't fall for the okey doke is a common saying DevineI.

Originally Posted by Bublnbrnsuga

I don't think its selfish. I think when people witness the change they see in you because of your relationship with God they are more prone to want to change and not feel you are judging them. I know from my own experience and certain friends I am not prone to use certain language because of their Christ like aura. They usually remind me of my weakness ,as well as, my strength. When they see my horns about to rear up. They offer advise or words of wisdom. It could be as simple as "we are going to rein our tongue today remember" or "What would Jesus do?". Now that isn't judgemental just a reminder I am trying to change my ways in a certain area.

This is so true!! God and His Word is just that powerful!

MonaLisa

lauren450 said:
ITA with everything you said. I used to be so judgemental about what others were doing. I'm at the point now where I can only focus on me and what I'm doing. God will deal with them just like he deals with me.

I think you have to have a balance. For example, it bothers me when Christians say stuff like, "All faggots are going to hell". Would Jesus have said that? I certainly don't believe that homosexuality is right, but I'm not going to walk around proclaiming that certain people are doomed to hell. Because if that were the case, I'd be telling EVERYBODY they were going to hell, you know?

One thing I realized is that some Christians are more pragmatic than others. Some believe the Bible is the absolute final word, every single word of it, while others use it as a guide to their every day lives, without taking it literally. Some even use some biblical principles, but they know that there are some innaccuracies that it was written by men, so they take it at face value. I don't know who is right, but I know we'll find out on Judgement Day. Until then, we all have to do what we believe is best based on our own relationships with God.

This was just so well said, I had to respond. ITA.

cocoberry10

lauren450 said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I totally agree with everything you just said. I also believe that God has to work through people in His way, and we are not always in the position to judge others. It doesn't mean we think everything that someone is doing is right, we just know that God has to work through them, and judging their ways can make a situation worse, not better!

fivefoursweetie

I agree with a lot of what was said.
I just wanted to add that there are a lot of issues that the Bible doesn't directly speak about, and because some people interpret it to mean one thing doesn't mean they have the right to tell someone else that they are wrong. Let the Holy Spirit use you in the way HE wishes to, and not by YOUR own opinions or beliefs. Maybe when a feeling of irritation comes about, it may be good to examine your heart and see where that is coming from and if it is prompted by God or by your "flesh"
Just my .05 :) Not directed at anyone, just general statement of love :D