End of Summer '08 Waist Length Challenge!!

I'm posting pics so ya'll can see what it looks like. Keep in mind I just had a trim 3 months ago, so I'm kinda upset. It looks better combed together, though. Does this look like it's from breakage? I rarely use heat & bun all the time so I dunno :confused:.

Attachments

• six.jpg
    six.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 33
  • thirty-six.jpg
    thirty-six.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 38
  • nineteen.jpg
    nineteen.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 37
I'm posting pics so ya'll can see what it looks like. Keep in mind I just had a trim 3 months ago, so I'm kinda upset. It looks better combed together, though. Does this look like it's from breakage? I rarely use heat & bun all the time so I dunno :confused:.

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT TRIM YOUR HAIR........:lachen:
You and Mariposa are a trip!! There is nothing wrong with either one of your ends!! LEAVE THEM ALONE!! Both of you will be Waist length in September!! leave your ends alone!!!!!

uhmmm...what's the problem again:look:? Your hair is thick down to the ends. What breakage? your hair looks good girlie:yep:.

Your hair doesn't look bad at all. I have the same thing going on.When you look at the end do they look damaged or split? It doesn't look like damaged hair to me. Have you been shedding hair? Your hair is very gorgeous and you better not trim it . I don't think the shorter hair inbetween are breakage I think its that other hair that grows longer when the othe hairs shed(if that makes sense).

Last edited:
You and Mariposa are a trip!! There is nothing wrong with either one of your ends!! LEAVE THEM ALONE!! Both of you will be Waist length in September!! leave your ends alone!!!!!

I think we both want flawless ends like you Nakish :yep:.

I think we both want flawless ends like you Nakish :yep:.

The difference is my ends were see thru and everybody could see it :lachen:
Both of you ladies hair is THICK to the ends! No see thru, no splits, you guys have healthy ends! I can't wait to see you and silverlotus hair in September, because I already know it's going to be beautiful!! HHG, and STAY AWAY from the scissors!! Both of you :grin:!!

uhmmm...what's the problem again:look:? Your hair is thick down to the ends. What breakage? your hair looks good girlie:yep:.

At least you're with me HoneyA, I don't see a FLAW in any of the pictures, not one!! Tell her to leave her hair alone:grin:!!

I REALLY want to join this challenge but I feel like i am pushing it. I just got to BSL a while ago. I am going to get a trim late January and I´m afraid it might set me back too far to make it. I feel like i would be over estimating myself.

But like Den said- this is a challenge- its not supposed to be easy.

Do my ends really need to be trimmed? They look thick and healthy but i have a lot of knots and splits from braiding.

Uuuh Yah, no trim needed! Not for a few years anyway:grin: I guess I'll fall back on the trim mission as well cause my ends look pretty much like yours SilverL. My Christmas camera is still on the way:perplexed but I can't wait til it gets here so I can post pics and you all can assure me that I'm seeing things that aren't there:lachen:

At least you're with me HoneyA, I don't see a FLAW in any of the pictures, not one!! Tell her to leave her hair alone:grin:!!

LOL, yea but MSG sees exactly what I'm talking about! We have ends OCD. :lachen: I will stay away from the scissors, though. Truthfully, I'm very happy with my hair except for the last inch or so.

Thanks y'all!

I REALLY want to join this challenge but I feel like i am pushing it. I just got to BSL a while ago. I am going to get a trim late January and I´m afraid it might set me back too far to make it. I feel like i would be over estimating myself.

Do my ends really need to be trimmed? They look thick and healthy but i have a lot of knots and splits from braiding.

Sure you can join the challenge. You won't know until you try. It's not like there's anything to lose ;). Your ends look thick & nice in your siggy, but if they are knotting & split, I'd say dust in Jan. Don't take too much off.

Your hair doesn't look bad at all. I have the same thing going on.When you look at the end do they look damaged or split? It doesn't look like damaged hair to me. Have you been shedding hair? Your hair is very gorgeous and you better not trim it . I don't think the shorter hair inbetween are breakage I think its that other hair that grows longer when the othe hairs shed(if that makes sense).

Come to think of it, I was shedding a little in late Sept-early Oct. I figured it was seasonal. Nope, no splits, just uneven hair. We sure have created a monster with all this trimming talk :lachen:.

Most of you seem so close to waistlength already!

As for me:ohwell:
I am getting a touchup on Wednesday and will have my sister trim 1" off the ends for me. I have about 1" of bad looking ends, and I know that if I leave them, they will get worse and I'll have to trim more. I learned my lesson all year. That will still have me at BSL:ohwell:

I still want to be in this challenge though. I know that I won't make waistlength by the reveal date in August, BUT it's definitely motivation to retain the growth that I didn't retain in 2007 (that's ZERO inch retained! can you believe it??:mad: ) Sigh. We'll see!

Most of you seem so close to waistlength already!

As for me:ohwell:
I am getting a touchup on Wednesday and will have my sister trim 1" off the ends for me. I have about 1" of bad looking ends, and I know that if I leave them, they will get worse and I'll have to trim more. I learned my lesson all year. That will still have me at BSL:ohwell:

I still want to be in this challenge though. I know that I won't make waistlength by the reveal date in August, BUT it's definitely motivation to retain the growth that I didn't retain in 2007 (that's ZERO inch retained! can you believe it??:mad: ) Sigh. We'll see!

do your ends look that bad for real? Do you use heat?

From your picture I don't think you do.Are you familiar with the S&D method? just do that every once in awhile for those splits and knots

Congrats to all the ladies who have the capacity for waist length hair. Me Ill be happy when this lushness makes MBL. I think the only way for me to achieve that is through locking and I am a commitment phobe!! LOL

hey ladies
i think i need a pep talk
i blew out my hair today
i usually str8en it on my birthday to see how far i've come
so when im looking at the length
i start getting depressed!
i thought it would be way longer by now
now mind u i didn't flat iron it (b/c im going to miami on friday)
but when i blow dry it gets str8 enough 2 c growth
so now im doubting whether i can get to waistlength by the summer:nono:
i hate thinking negatively about it tho!
have u guys noticed length slow up at bsl?
i feel like i've been here for months!

here is a pic
blowdrybk.html

blowdrybk.html
http://public.fotki.com/jenteel/big_hair/blowdrybk.html

Last edited:
hey ladies
i blew out my hair today

here is a pic
blowdrybk.html

blowdrybk.html

waow lady you reading in my mind I have EXACTELY the same problem my hair was stucked at the same place from march to october/november:sad: (cause of anemia the DR put me now on iron pills)
Sorry ladies, I think I will not make it, so ladies I wish you good luck:wave:
i will watch you out

hey ladies
i blew out my hair today

here is a pic
blowdrybk.html

blowdrybk.html

I couldn't see your pictures so I went to your fotki. You have very gorgeous hair and your very pretty yourself. Are you sure you blowdryer is getting it straight enough to see growth? When I got to the top of bra strap it took me like 6 months to move a little past the bottom of it without trims. I don't know how long it generally takes for anyone else. Do you know how much your hair grows a month? Are you sure your hair isn't damaged? I hope someone else chimes in with way more experience than me(ummm Silverlotus get in here)

waow lady you reading in my mind I have EXACTELY the same problem my hair was stucked at the same place from march to october/november:sad: (cause of anemia the DR put me now on iron pills)
Sorry ladies, I think I will not make it, so ladies I wish you good luck:wave:
i will watch you out

Oh so you just gonna leave us like that?J/k Well I think you could still be apart of the challenge to see how you progress is by then but thats up to you. Iunno about anyone else but being in a challenge really makes me step up my game because I don't like loosing :nono:(yeah I know bad).

Oh so you just gonna leave us like that?J/k Well I think you could still be apart of the challenge to see how you progress is by then but thats up to you. Iunno about anyone else but being in a challenge really makes me step up my game because I don't like loosing :nono:(yeah I know bad).

Ok but unofficially cause my longer layer is on top of brastrap for months now

hey ladies
i blew out my hair today

here is a pic
blowdrybk.html

blowdrybk.html

I went to your fotki, but I didn't see pics to compare the most recent one to. Do you have something from earlier taken at the same angle? I bet if you put them side by side, you'll see some growth.

Do you trim a lot? Are you getting breakage? How are you taking care of your hair? It's not uncommon to get stuck at a length. If your hair really is stuck, maybe you need to hide it & PS for a while. After a few months of that, I bet you'll see something. Don't worry, you can still make WSL with us. :)

Ok but unofficially cause my longer layer is on top of brastrap for months now

Hmmm :scratchch. Well, if it was cuz of the anemia, you should start seeing some growth soon. Vitamins take a few weeks to kick in anyway. Don't give up!

Hmmm :scratchch. Well, if it was cuz of the anemia, you should start seeing some growth soon. Vitamins take a few weeks to kick in anyway. Don't give up!

Ok...... I guess you're right... ok i'm in again....thanks Silverlotus and Mariposasexygirl for your encouragements...

I couldn't see your pictures so I went to your fotki. You have very gorgeous hair and your very pretty yourself. Are you sure you blowdryer is getting it straight enough to see growth? When I got to the top of bra strap it took me like 6 months to move a little past the bottom of it without trims. I don't know how long it generally takes for anyone else. Do you know how much your hair grows a month? Are you sure your hair isn't damaged? I hope someone else chimes in with way more experience than me(ummm Silverlotus get in here)

yeah i was trying to add pics as an attachment but it wouldn't let me
thanks for the compliments!
i wasn't trying to get it super str8 so maybe u're right :ohwell:
what i did notice however is i got a boost of growth in the front region
b4 i had layers
now the front is catching up with the back so that's a good thing
i heard alot of girls around here talk about "hair catching up"
i think my hair grows a little less than 1/2 an inch
sometimes it grows faster
i rarely use heat but i think i may just blowdry 1x a month then keep it pulled back to prevent the little tangles
my hair seems to thrive that way
sometimes all the detangling while wearing it natural puts stress on the hair

i was happy 2 discover my hair is not damaged
i looked very closely as i dusted
i've been doing a lot of moisturizing, and some protein treatments
it was actually healthier than in the past!(another good thing)

Last edited:
I went to your fotki, but I didn't see pics to compare the most recent one to. Do you have something from earlier taken at the same angle? I bet if you put them side by side, you'll see some growth.

Do you trim a lot? Are you getting breakage? How are you taking care of your hair? It's not uncommon to get stuck at a length. If your hair really is stuck, maybe you need to hide it & PS for a while. After a few months of that, I bet you'll see something. Don't worry, you can still make WSL with us. :)

thank God its not damaged!:yawn:
i was worried i would see all these splits
but it was a pretty smooth blowdry
and i did a dusting and a "search and destroy"

in my response to mariposa i was saying
that i may need to hide it for a while
its getting so big and long that it's getting tangled easier
so as opposed to washing alot for moisture retention
i may just pull it back after a light blow dry
i think that just creates alot of stress on my hair
in its most vulnerable state
this is what loveya4ever does and it seems to work 4 her
i don't think im 1 of those people who should wash all the time
especially without a relaxer

the lighter hair is may 2007
the darker hair is jan 2008

DSC04082-vi.jpg

DSC04856-vi.jpg

bkblow-vi.jpg
blowdrybk-vi.jpg

i haven't flat ironed it out since may
so i may just do that at the end of the month and post pics for u guys 2 compare
this is what the flat iron press looked like in may 2007
this is after the above blowdry so u can get an idea of the shrinkage
DSC04114-vi.jpg

i need all the encouragement i can get
i mean summer is right around the corner
im at the top of brastrap now and have a loooong torso
so i guess i wanted to see if it's possible
but i'll try to be positive :yep:

Last edited:
Jenteel, your hair looks so healthy and thick. Esp with all that beautiful color!
You have nothing to worry about! Just keeping taking really good care of it like you already are.

Soun, or anyone else better not be dropping out of this challenge! lol I know it is rough and I thought this was an impossible and pointless challenge for me to try but in the end all we can do is try. I sometimes think to myself that if we could magically grow our hair to our desired lengths by just pulling it, we all would be pulling away. :yep:

Good luck ladies let's try and do this!!

Back