Everything you ever wanted to know about PhytoRelaxer and them some.

Did you find this information useful?

• Yes

Votes: 250 96.5%
  • Nope; you wasted your time.

Votes: 9 3.5%

• Total voters
I used this last night after reading EVERYTHING I could about the relaxer and I am hooked for life. I waited until this AM to post and I dreamed that all my hair fell off (smile) but seriously, this is the VERY best relaxer I have ever used!!!!!!!!!!!!

well..after using this relaxer now for 3 years, this afternoon while doing my touchup, little precipitates of what looked like calcium formed in my hair as soon as the relaxer was applied. it didn't adversely affect my hair, but it was a pain to try and get all of these pieces of "chalky" stuff out of my hair prior to me wet setting it. has this happened to anyone else before? the only difference was that i usually buy my phyto from polly and co, but this time i got it from phyto direct ( phyto and friends sale) :ohwell:

Last edited:
Dogmd,

The samething happened to me last month. I got mine at Sephora. I just thought it was an old batch or I didn't mix it properly. Guess it wasn't just me. :ohwell:

Yep I did my touch up 8 days ago with the relaxer I bought from the friends and family sale--I got those same little white chalky bits in my hair. I am so relieved to find out that its happened to others and its not something I did wrong.

Dogmd,

The samething happened to me last month. I got mine at Sephora. I just thought it was an old batch or I didn't mix it properly. Guess it wasn't just me. :ohwell:

well, that is just too much of a coincidence. i plan on sending my box and used containers back with an incident report and see what they say. i will check back here after i get a reply. i am sending an e-mail tonite.

Yep I did my touch up 8 days ago with the relaxer I bought from the friends and family sale--I got those same little white chalky bits in my hair. I am so relieved to find out that its happened to others and its not something I did wrong.

i am sorry this happened to you as well. we should all notify the company. :nono:

Wow - what a serious bummer. I'm not relaxing for another two weeks. I need to place an order with Polly and send back the sale boxes. If you've all experienced this, there's no point in relaxing with this batch.

i am sorry this happened to you as well. we should all notify the company. :nono:
Ladies, I had the same thing happen to me when I used my relaxer bought from Phyto Direct.
I thought I had mixed it wrong since I added oil to my relaxer.
I think these relaxers must be old that why they had the sale.
I will ordered from Polly& Co from now own and pay full price.

Ladies, I had the same thing happen to me when I used my relaxer bought from Phyto Direct.

i am hoping they replace my product and give me credit for the used stuff.
since it occurred with product that was purchased from sephora as well, i don't think that it was limited to product purchased from phyto directly unfortunately
i am praying that they did not change the formula...:sad:

Last edited:

I paid full price and bought mine from Sephora. So it must be all batches directly from Phyto and not the individual vendors.

This has been happening to me off and on for over a year with product purchased from a variety of locations. I thought it was because I didn't mix properly. I now mix thoroughly and let the mixture sit for 1/2 hour. This has reduced or removed crystals in my hair. It has not affected the quality of the relaxer, so I haven't sent them back. The very first time it happened, I had so many crystals and it was so frustrating getting them out. I haven't had that level of frustration and find that once the shampoo stops running pink, I can't find a crystal in my hair. I must say that leaving the mixture has really cut down on the issue.

It might be my own laziness, but I'm just not willing to give up my phyto unless it stops relaxing my hair the same way.

i am hoping they replace my product and give me credit for the used stuff.
since it occurred with product that was purchased from sephora as well, i don't think that it was limited to product purchased from phyto directly unfortunately
i am praying that they did not change the formula...:sad:
Shoot,I hope the formula did not change either :sad:

bump bump bump...

BTW,
Did anyone order the revitalizing hair oil that phyto make??
If so, did you apply to the relaxer before applying it to the hair??? I am aware some ladies on here add Oil to the relaxer (just wondering if i could add this, for added benefit... dryness, etc.).
If i wanted bone straight hair will the oil prevent that from happening (I am natural and considering relaxing)???
Anything answers will help.. HHG c00kie

bump bump bump...

BTW,
Did anyone order the revitalizing hair oil that phyto make??
If so, did you apply to the relaxer before applying it to the hair??? I am aware some ladies on here add Oil to the relaxer (just wondering if i could add this, for added benefit... dryness, etc.).
If i wanted bone straight hair will the oil prevent that from happening (I am natural and considering relaxing)???
Anything answers will help.. HHG c00kie

I have the revitalizing oil. I have used it as a prepoo, but Phyto recommends it for protecting the previously relaxed hair. I used it like that for my last touchup, but I have never mixed oils into my relaxer.

The same problem with the white chucks happened to me, but I think it's because the product is not package tightly enough. I noticed when I went to unscrew the top of the relaxer cream it was very loose. I barely had to twist it to get it off. Then I noticed the top of the cream seemed dried out, and I immediately began to wonder if the crusty top would cause problem with mixing. I mixed the hell out of it and only had two of those white chucks left in my hair that you all are speaking off. I think mixing is the key, and they should make sure that when the product comes off the line that it's screwed tightly to prevent air from messing with the formula.

I love my hair after Phyto.

I just bought some Phytospecific Vital Force Shampoo, apparently it's the best shampoo from the specific line and I will be using it tonight. I will review it for you ladies.

WOW!!!!it is good to see so many ladies still using or converting to the phytospecific phytorelaxer..I have been using it for four years now and have never looked back or thought about about another lye relaxer...

Sherri!!! I had no clue you were a Phytogirl! Now I'm sold... I will not use any other relaxer. I will get a second job to support my Phyto habit.

If I want to texlax my natural 4b hair to stretch it a little but still do two strand twists, how long would i keep phyto index 1 on for?

I am sitting here thinking about Creamy Crack - relaxers, while "Good Hair" Chris Rock's movie isn't here in Seattle, yet, it does have me thinking about what's in my Phytorelaxer. I am pleased that the inductor ingredient, guanidine carbonate, actually has a 1 rating by EWG (Environmental Working Group). http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=702749&nothanks=1

Other Phytospecific products are assessed, but not the relaxer. Anyway, I'm feeling better about my decision.

um ok can we start having some pics of people with their hair relaxed with this i mean damn all these pages where the pics at :lachen:

taz007 what is your natural hair texture?... does phyto 2 get your hair bone straight?
I have 4B, coarse hair. Phyto II will get your hair bone straight if you leave it in for the max allotted time. I usually add EVOO and SAA to my relaxer.

Well, I think this was my last touch up with Phytospecific. I love this relaxer, because my hair has lots of body. BUT, I do battle dryness, which is very similar to my experience with other no-lye relaxers. I have been a do it a home relaxer, but I'm going to try the Davines relaxer next month for my touch-up. We'll see how it behaves. My stylist is a fan, so I'll give it a shot.

Oh and I am too through with the crystals in this product. I thought the crystallization was a rarity, but my stylist tells me that she sees it when using phytospecific on clients. She claims it is the result of the proteins in the product. I have no idea, but it freaks me out when i am neutralizing my hair and trying to get them out.

I get those crystal flecks in my relaxer too! I hate them, but i haven't noticed anything negative, so i plan on sticking Phyto for as long as i continue to relax my hair.

I can't decsribe how superior this relaxer is for my hair... i've used it for my last two touch ups and my hair has gone from SL to APL in a very short amount of time. Also, my hair stays thick, soft and manageable and im able to retain more length with phyto.

My only gripe is the activator smells so strong (almsot like ammonia!) with last few boxes i've purchased. Again, i haven;t noticed anything negative, but i dont remember the activator ever smelling like this when i used it years ago.

Anyway, i'm sticking with it this time!

I've been using phyto since I started my HHJ and I don't think I'll ever switch. It's completely worth the higher price tag to me. (pics in siggy)

Back