FOTKI KILLED MY COMPUTER!

Sianna

Wow! I wonder how a virus got on the site? When, (if ever) will it be safe to use it again?!

I don't visit Fotki all that much but I do have pictures on there. Someone added me to their friend list today and when I went to the site to add them back, my AVG thingy popped up to warn me! I got outta there wit da quickness! I use Opera normally but I did chance going back to the site using FireFox, and it seemed to work just fine. I didn't get the warning that time and my computer seems to be virus free as far as I can tell.

Probably not a good idea to take chances though... :perplexed

foxee

It got me too! I rebooted in Safe Mode and did a System Restore. Now I'm running RKill and MalwareBytes.

This thread should be a sticky for a few days so others can be warned.

jupitermoon

LynnieB, offered great advice.

A few weeks ago, my computer was infected with a backdoor Trojan/rootkit/TDSS infection. It eventually wiped out my harddrive and I had to get a new computer. I've grown up with computers and have had computers all of my life and have never experienced anything like this.

Be very very careful about downloading things from the Internet. I got this nasty infection from Limewire. As soon as I finished downloading a song, I opened it and the Limewire Program crashed. During this time I got multiple fake windows security icons along my toolbar and multiple Java icons too. A fake malware program called AntiMalwareDoctor installed itself into my computer and wouldn't allow me to remove it from my harddrive. Everything went down hill from there. I was logged out of all of my accounts including this website and when I clicked on links I would be sent to another website that I didn't request. I also experienced programs being terminated. Plus my computer was really slow, and made noise as if it were busy all the time.

I keep my Norton running and updated at all times and I have Firewall too, but this still happened. Sadly, Norton doesn't even catch all of these things, especially that rootkit infections. I had to use two different antispy ware programs (I used the ones from http://malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and http://superantispyware.com/ ) to the Trojans. None of these programs could get the TDDS infection and I had to use TDDS killer to remove it.

It was so bad that the Trojans/backdoor virus were attempting to send information from my computer out to other computers/ip addresses multiple times in an hour. I kept recieving alerts from Norton constantly as it was blocking these intrusions. The ip addresses that were trying to gain access to my computer were from China and the Netherlands.

Backdoor Trojans/viruses are the worst. They can access all types of information from your computer including your bank account. After finally getting rid of the TDDS infection, Norton found the Backdoor Trojan and removed it a few days later. A fews days after that, I couldn't even get my computer to start. It didn't even recognize windows and there was no way to reinstall it with the disk. I got a new computer. To those of you who's computers are acting funny, I would change my online bank account password now and refrain from paying bills or ordering anything online until you're sure your computer is clean.

I agree with LynnieB and be very careful what you download and even the sites you visit. If you visit a site in which you are getting lots of popups you are bound to be getting lots of tracking cookies and perhaps a few Trojans too. I now limit the sites I visit and don't download music anymore.

Ladies -

If you are "catching" things from <insert ANY website here> it means that your system is not properly protected, eom. Emphasis on ANY website, email, graphic, music, video file or links to any website, email, graphic, music, video file!!

You can "catch" these viruses, trojans and other malware ANY where on the internet via webpages, email, music, photos or movie files.

I don't want to add to the paranoia here but here's the latest, greatest. It's so awesome that anti-virus companies are having difficulties keeping up with the programmers.

It's called TDSS (aka the hard drive killing trojan) and you can read more about it here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller

Is this the exact virus/trojan that many of you are infected with? I have no idea but what I do know is that if you don't properly lock down your computer, NOWHERE on the internet will be a safe place for you or your pc.

I'd hate to see any one's finances get harmed due to the effects of malware but until you get a handle on your system, it's going to keep happening over and over again.

So even though there are many who do not wish to hear it and choose to ignore what I say, what you are experiencing is proof that your computers are not properly protected.

This stuff is out there and is spreading fast, faster than wildfires on a windy, low humidity day. It's not going to go away and will more than likely get much, much worse. So do "me" a favor, check out the links in the post I made on page 1 or 2nd page depending on your particular LHCF settings (they are safe to click) and read how to protect your computers and, as already shown in this thread, your personal finances, your homes, your jobs, etc.

Peace, love and good luck!

tocktick

Smh. I'm going to be retrieving all my photos and moving my pics elsewhere as soon as I have some free time to dedicate to it. I have been on Fotki albums without any issue recently but the simple fact there there is a threat and I've heard about it more than once is enough to make me think that I'm not immune from this. I've been thinking about it on and off since I first heard of people having issues but I think this is the last straw for me.

jupitermoon

What are some good hosting websites besides photobucket and blogger?

Does blogger even allow an unlimited amount of pics to be posted? I have so many pics on my album that I would have to transfer.

ThePerfectScore

Today when I was trying to look at someone fotki I got a warning message saying that that site may be harmful to my computer so i promptly did an about face:lachen:Thank God for Macs...

Yeah thank God for Macs... I was just recently checking out some people's hair albums on there... but I ain't get no warning :ohwell:.... oh well my comp works... but Im not going back to test my luck nor my technology.

Curlykale

If you digit private information on your computer, like almost everyone does, be careful ladies.

Last edited:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i followed the steps from the SoftSailor site to remove the virus from my computer. i couldn't do a system restore because it deleted all the restore points, and the only one available was 8/18, which was yesterday and i already had the damn virus! :mad: anyway, the Softsailor tips really work; do what it says and if RKill won't open, rename it. the virus searches for Rkill and won't let it open. i renamed mine gob!tch! :look: as in 'get yo b!tch arse off my computer!' :mad:

Mz.Shazia

OMG! this JUST happened to me on my computer at WORK this week!!
I was like WTF!!
I had to go tell me my sup. that the computer was attacked by a virus ( while acting completely shocked, suprised and completely oblivious to how it got there)!
She put in a ticket for it with our IT team *crossing my fingers* I dont get in trouble for this -ish!!!

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Wow, this is crazy. I haven't experienced the fotki issue since I'm on a mac. I guess I won't be renewing my fotki membership. No sense in giving them money if they're causing problems for people :nono:

fivetimestwo

wow this would happen at exactly the wrong time. I just recently paid for a premium fotki membership and I also was unfortunate enough to have my Macbook stolen recently.:wallbash: For right now I'm using my DH's PC and I'm staying far away from fotki until the issue is resolved. I think I will transfer my pics elsewhere since this isn't the first time I've heard about virus threats from fotki. :nono:

MzV1991

OMG i thought it was only ....i went on FOTKI on my sis computer and the thing started to act poseesed so i ran a couple scans and restarted it....theres a problem though the computer is on lock down and wont turn back on....now i got a highly older sister irritated at me saying its all my fault with my obsession with hair LOL

Pink Pearls

Thank God for macs! A few days ago, while viewing photos on fotki, the top half of my computer screen turned black and started blinking. After rebooting, everything was back to normal and I haven't experienced any problems since.

Last edited:

LynnieB

Some of you ladies really need to read this article from *gulp* THE NEW YORK TIMES of ALL places:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/what-to-do-if-you-saw-an-antivirus-pop-up-ad/

Some nasty ads have hit the Web browsers of visitors to NYTimes.com and some other sites in recent days. The ads, which are not authorized or endorsed by The Times, can hijack a person’s browser and make it appear as if a scan for viruses is running. The ads then promote “antivirus” software that is itself virus-like. The Times believes it has eliminated these ads, but if they popped up on your screen, here’s what you need to know about your computer’s security.

According to Rik Ferguson of the security-software maker Trend Micro, a malicious ad sparked a pop-up window with a bogus claim that the PC was infected with malware. It urged the user to run a system scan with its “Personal Antivirus” program — a convincing-looking ruse, but a complete fake — to clean out the infection.

If you closed this box, you should be O.K., though it’s a good idea to empty your browser cache — which stores temporary copies of many of the files used by your browser to render Web sites and, thus, can store malicious content. (Instructions on clearing the cache in several types and versions of browsers can be found here.)

You should also run a scan with legitimate antivirus software just in case. If you see a box but find you can’t close it on a Windows machine, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Task Manager, find the browser in the list of running processes and shut it down — or even reboot your machine.

If you did click to “scan” your machine for problems, the program will tell you that it supposedly detected 38 threats. Not true. What it actually did was install a so-called Trojan horse that’s a classic example of rogue antivirus software, also known as “scareware,” a growing menace on the Internet.

This particular program appears to be designed to convince people to purchase fake antivirus software -– and will likely display messages, at random intervals, with information about more fake problems and demands for money. Mr. Ferguson’s initial analysis shows that the program does not have the ability to “phone home” to the attacker to get instructions to do anything worse (like deposit programs designed to steal data from your PC).

Let me repeat, if you are experiencing problems with ANY kind of malware, it means your computer is not sufficiently protected. It is not just Fotki :rolleyes:.

Your problems are symptoms of your unprotected online status and you should take the necessary steps to protect yourselves immediately.

There are ways to do this. You'll only need an open mind, and be willing to put in a little time, patience to educate yourselves so you don't become a another victim of the WWW.

-------------------------------

Edited to add for geeky/nerdy types who want to learn more (chance are at least one of your friends or family members are going to get hit with it):

http://www.securelist.com/en/analysis/204792131/TDSS

This site explains all the who, what's, where's and why this is happening. It also explains the pure brillance and the aggressiveness of the code's creators. And for the really geeky types, it also explains, in great detail, how the codes are written to the registry and why it's so difficult to remove.

Enjoy!

And remember: An educated user is a protected user!

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I've been getting this problem the last few days and it's only as soon as I go to fotki. As soon as I go there my antivirus keeps screaming that something is trying to download a trojan and gets me out of there

Ms Lala

So how can I move or transfer my pics from fotki w/o jacking up my computer? I have pics on there that I don't have saved elsewhere.

Gigi-07

That damn fotki infected my computer with a TROJAN AND SPYWARE along with a VIRUS!
I had to use SuperAntiSpyware to remove. My Mcafee did nothing!

AND HERES THE KICKER!
IT INSTALLED A KEYLOGGER THAT STOLE MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION AND MY BANK CALLED ME TO INFORM ME THAT I WAS 700 DOLLARS OVER DRAWN BECAUSE SOMEONE IS MAKING ONLINE PURCHASES!

I know it was fotki because my computer started acting funny, slow, and suspicious pop ups began to come up. And strange anti virus warning were coming up from companies ive never heard of.

Now I have to go file a fraudulent claim with my bank and recover my money.

LADIES BE CAREFUL

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that. :sad: I hope you get all your money back.

Gigi-07

Avast is also another good anti-virus program.

ETA: Firefox is a better browser to use than IE. It has more protection.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
OMG i thought it was only ....i went on FOTKI on my sis computer and the thing started to act poseesed so i ran a couple scans and restarted it....theres a problem though the computer is on lock down and wont turn back on....now i got a highly older sister irritated at me saying its all my fault with my obsession with hair LOL

yeah i think its my fault my cousin computer crashed and couldn't get on the internet. she got it fixed but still can't get online. i wrote down the directions from soft sailor so i'm goin to sneak and fix it. i feel like crap though. i was just trying to help her with her hair and showing her people with similar hair types on fotki. :sad:

Ltown

Greyland
So how can I move or transfer my pics from fotki w/o jacking up my computer? I have pics on there that I don't have saved elsewhere.

I don't think it the whole site, because I have been on other fotki it's seems to be the links to fotki. If you just go to the site and log in, maybe it will be good. Good luck!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Thanks for this info. I had no idea. We can't access fotki at work and I did notice that my netbook shut down the internet the other day when I tried to get on fotki.

Ms Lala

I don't think it the whole site, because I have been on other fotki it's seems to be the links to fotki. If you just go to the site and log in, maybe it will be good. Good luck!

I'm concerned about the risk. Maybe I'll see if my hubby will let me try on his old laptop that he doesn't use much anymore.

HeChangedMyName

Oh man, I haven't been on their in quite a while. I just checked my history and thank goodness I haven't been on there in like a month. BUT I wonder if that last virus I had was from fotki. hmmmmmm.

song_of_serenity

So THAT'S where my virus I got (for some stupid spyware ironically) came from two weeks ago.

And then last week I got it again, I realize now, just after I looked at a fotki! Thank God for bleeping computer because those instructions are the ONLY thing that would rid me of it. I don't even USE I.E but because it's a packaged deal and would destroy your interface if you delete it, I was still affected. :/ If I had known it was fotki, I would have warned you ladies!

Kenny-Ann

Is this something that has been happening recently?

I just had a Spyware program take over my computer the other day. I ended up doing a system restore and it seemed to take care of the problem. Today I linked to someone's fotki and my computer started acting crazy again. I realized it was the fotki because I didn't have anything else up and running. Now that I see this post, I doubt I will go anywhere near fotki ever again.