Great things with flaxseeds

Mamamia

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say that I went to the health food store and found flawseed tablets. I was about to leave when I spotted a bulk bag of flaxseeds and bought those too. I learned from my mom (the holistic queen) that a great way to get a good dose of the seeds is to add it to EVERYTHING you eat. They don't really have a taste so I've added it to waffles, soup, rice dishes, and other dishes. I use the gel tabs by popping them and sqeezing the oil into a dab of carrot oil. So far, my hair has felt softer. Thought I'd pass on the tip.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Mamamia said:
Hi everyone. I just wanted to say that I went to the health food store and found flawseed tablets. I was about to leave when I spotted a bulk bag of flaxseeds and bought those too. I learned from my mom (the holistic queen) that a great way to get a good dose of the seeds is to add it to EVERYTHING you eat. They don't really have a taste so I've added it to waffles, soup, rice dishes, and other dishes. I use the gel tabs by popping them and sqeezing the oil into a dab of carrot oil. So far, my hair has felt softer. Thought I'd pass on the tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like to take the oil, so I buy the seeds and grind them. I sprinkle a tablespoon in my a.m. fruit juice..I sometimes sprinkle it on my salad as well... Have you every grounded flaxseed to your pancake mix? Yummmyy!!!

I don't do dairy, but I'm sure it's good as an ice-cream topper!

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Mamamia said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a good idea. I take the soft gels...but this may be more effective...

UmSumayyah

Try adding them to muffins, too. I've read that you won't get any benefit from adding them to things unless you grind them up. I imagine if you just scoop a handful into your mouth and crunch away that would be a different story. Otherwise they'll, uh, just slip out of you whole, the way they went in.
They can also be used as an egg substitute when baking. I've done that with pancakes and muffins before. 1 tbsp ground flaxseed to 3 tbsp water. Stir it up, let it sit for 5 min or so, then add to the recipe.