Hair bunning questions???

Shun78

Good Morning Ladies!

I finally learned how to make a sock bun last night after searching through some Fotki's. I want to wear my hair in a bun for a while but I want to make sure I dont do more damage than good.

My questions are:

1. How do you prevent your ends from becoming damaged?

2. Do you use bobbypins and a scrunchie to help keep the ends and hair in place?

3. Do you keep your hair in a bun for 2 or 3 days without taking down or do you take it down every day and moisturize then re-bun?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to make sure I am on the right track. Thanks ladies in advance!

TrendySocialite

My answers are below in red.

Good Morning Ladies!

I finally learned how to make a sock bun last night after searching through some Fotki's. I want to wear my hair in a bun for a while but I want to make sure I dont do more damage than good.

My questions are:

1. How do you prevent your ends from becoming damaged? moisturize and seal ends. I moisturize with ORS olive oil and seal with castor oil. And I baggy the ends. There should be a baggying 101 thread somewhere in the stickys.

2. Do you use bobbypins and a scrunchie to help keep the ends and hair in place? Yes, I do....my hair isn't long enough to keep in place on its own. I don't use a scrunchie, I use a coated hair band. Not a rubber band, but not a scrunchie either.

3. Do you keep your hair in a bun for 2 or 3 days without taking down or do you take it down every day and moisturize then re-bun? I take it down out at night, put in my MN mixture, do a scalp massage then baggy and tie up for the night.

And I'd also suggest changing the location of the bun.

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to make sure I am on the right track. Thanks ladies in advance!

Allandra

When I put my hair in a bun, my ends are hidden / protected. So, they don't become damaged.

2. Do you use bobbypins and a scrunchie to help keep the ends and hair in place?

I use a Good Day Hair Pin. Once I form my bun, I tuck the end within the bun, put in the Good Day Hair Pin then put on a scrunchie.

3. Do you keep your hair in a bun for 2 or 3 days without taking down or do you take it down every day and moisturize then re-bun?

I take it down once a day. When I was growing my hair out, sometimes I would keep the bun in for a few days (just made sure my hair was well moisturized).

Angelicus

I don't do a bun per se. I actually just make a pontail, tuck the ends under and then secure with pin. BTW, I put some oil or conditioner on my ends before bunning it. Also I usually take down my bun when I am at home for scalp massages.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
When I use to wear buns when my hair was longer after I got the hair sticking all around like a circle I would take the end of a comb and smooth it down.....Its hard to explain but no bobby pins or anything needed. But I do what Anky does I just roll it under and stick a bobby pin through the side kinda like a big pincurl but not layin it on the side.:yep:

LovelyLionessa

The bun protects the ends plus I dab on moisturizer beforehand.

I use either an elastic or scrunchie, make a ponytail and secure with a magic grip or tortoiseshell hairpin. For a top knot, I can use just a hairpin alone.

No, I change my styles a.m. and p.m.

Last edited:

TLC1020

1. I don't do the traditional bun, I make a ponytail then apply a cremey moisturizier to my excess hair then twist the hair before applying baggy.

2. No, I keep excess hair twisted throughout the day with a satin scrunchie.

3. I keep the ponytail up for about 3 days then moisturize and I take down the excess hair daily to remoisturize.

Good Morning Ladies!

My questions are: