Hair Type Poll

Kadeja

4b 4 sure....

RabiaElaine

I know that I'm type 4. But I'm confused between what 4a and 4b is? Can anyone clarify for me. I know that my hair is super coarse and kinky when its not natural, but when its relaxed it feels thin. Thanks for any explanation of my hair type.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
HoneyRockette said:
What is the most common hair type on this board? It looks to me like 4a is the most common hair type, but then again I can't very well scroll through everyone's signature at once. I have 4a hair. Maybe that is why I notice type 4a the most. Just curious.
P.S. I wanted to start a poll but many people have more than one hair type so I would have to list 4a, 4b, 4a/4b, 3a, 3b, 3a/3b...etc and that is a bit much. I guess I am referring to the majority of your hair, not one lock or one section.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm mostly 3a/b.

Faith

Honi, RabiaElaine: I believe the 4a is more spiral like..s-shape...like watch springs and the 4b is a z-shape...wavier.

I'm 4a in front, crown and sides and 4b in back...when I used to relax my back only needed about 5 mins to straightened cause it was wavy. The other areas needed more time.

H

HoneyRockette

Looks like 4a is the most common so far. RATS! I should've started a poll.

godzooki

I have no idea really. its too confusing. I was told I'm a 3 something but theres so many variations I'm just gnashing my teeth. I know in my sink area the n.g. gets nice and compact waves and I've even finally, in my 12wk wk found a coil or two but only there in that fist sized area. no coils anywhere else even after 13wks of n.g. My nape is a strange straight frizz that I have fun twisting into coils. everywhere else its thick, somewhat coarse but loose and wavy-very easy to separate with my fingers but my hair waves will grow together like tendrils almost. I try to get a single hair and I have to peel it from about 5-10 others. I have a frizzy hairline that waves if enough new growth and controled. my stylist said I have combo hair so I'm just gonna go with 3c/4a cause I got laughed at when I told some others I was a 4a/4b!

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
Jade21 said:
2b. I think I've talked to about eight other 2b's here and one 2a. Where are all the 3's?

~Jade~

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Jade, I'm a 3a/b natural. You can go ahead and stop

Integrity

HoneyRockette said:
Looks like 4a is the most common so far. RATS! I should've started a poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

that exactly what i thought when i read your initial post, i thought, ''where is the poll?
''

anyways never mind, i also notice more of us are type 4, i am too. my natural hair is like the black guy in CSI

ThursdayGirl

I love that guy he's so cute!

I am 4a/b... I think.... some of my hair is wavy .. .others of it coils into a watch spring size curl... they are so cute...

godzooki

UmSumayyah, you are nuts!

I might have been born a 2c-(acutally I was born with thick straight jet black hair and I was as white as any caucasian baby, but I've definately changed. much too my moms horror! she and my sisters are lightskinned and I took after my pa and got some color as I got older) but I'm no way a 2c now! 3c/4a is as far as I'm willing to say!

here is a pic of me at 5wks after airdrying. it does not shrink up when wet but does get frizzy if not moisturized. the back section is way tighter waves but doesnt change when wet and if dried out is a nightmare. I have a pic at 10 wks and its wavier and thicker but I don't know how to put it up. It's all easy to finger thru, separate or make lay down ,except that back section which is way more thicker and tangled, even at 13wks which is the farthest I've gone so far It just looks super wavy or bumpy even! .ya'll be the judge!
http://www.blood-angels.net/wife_pic_2.html

Kaela

I am totally confused here...what exactly does a 2c hair texture look like?? or what qualifies as 2c? I would say I was 3c/4a, except that my when my hair was natural, it never ever had a curl pattern, it was just a nice huge halo of wavy frizz. The only time I ever saw it "want" to ringlet up was when I was taking MSM, but even those weren't defined curls.

So what if you have small waves, that don't curl up, but are kinky for the most part?? Naturally-Frizzies seem to not have a place in Andre's typing system

H

HoneyRockette

Type 2C would be Ananda Lewis or somewhere around there.

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I know this is an old post...

HR, I think Ananda Lewis is type 2A. Her hair can go from straight to curly with no relaxers.

I am type 2C (and finding my type has taken me the longest...). My hair is thick and coarse but it is wavy. If you pull a hair out (ouch!
), my hair looks like an "S" (ripples) but doesn't spiral around like a coil. Believe me, it behaves the same as any other thick, coarse hair... it is called 2C because of the wave pattern.

Anywho, it is great to see other # 2s on this board.

Chichi

alma

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi,

HR, I think Ananda Lewis is type 2A. Her hair can go from straight to curly with no relaxers.

I am type 2C (and finding my type has taken me the longest...). My hair is thick and coarse but it is wavy. If you pull a hair out (ouch!
), my hair looks like an "S" (ripples) but doesn't spiral around like a coil. Believe me, it behaves the same as any other thick, coarse hair... it is called 2C because of the wave pattern.

Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]

OK-I get confused on my hair type, depending on whether I've just washed it or after I combed it (when it wasn't in locs and natural)...it changed all the time. I'd say I was a 3b/c but occasionally a 2c... <font color="red"> </font> anyone else have that problem?!?

melodee

I'm a 4a. I also think Ananda is a 2. Although you never know with celebrities though. When Mariah C started out in 1990, she was a 3b with corkscrews all over. Now to look at her you'd think she's a 2a. Also, i've seen Halle with kind of straight,wavy hair. But check out Jungle Fever, where she plays the crackhead. She went au natural and didn't bathe, I heard.

Lucia

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]
just wanted to add something,
type 2a-4z can get the straight look without relaxers, it's all about blowdrying or flat iron technique and the right products, even Ananda has to work with her hair to get it straight anyone with a wave or curl pattern does b/c it has to be stretched out.
Relaxers just make it quicker and easier except for people like me when I had a relaxer it only made my hair a fine/thin 2c/3a (it was still curly) I still had to blowdry and flatiron b/c I've got corckscrew thick baby curls.
hth