Having issues detangling? GET IN HERE!

MsLizziA

I am no longer transitioning, i am fully natural but i think i can be of some help to you ladies who are having trouble detangling. I noticed a good bit of women in the Transitioning Support thread were having issues with this

Here is a great tip. OLIVE OIL IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!

Whether you detangle on wet or dry hair, olive oil is where you need to be. I detangle my hair with ease when i use this and i say olive oil because its one of the best oils out there for hair and you get alot for a pretty decent price.

I detangle my hair by soaking my hair in olive oil and letting it sit for about 5 - 10 so it can loosen the hair up some. Just detangle from tip to root with a comb and your hair will just melt out of knots

No matter if its braids im taking down, a sew in, or just detangling my hair, that oil is magic in a bottle. And if you need more put more in your hair but i promise you this will solve your detangling issues.

I pay 15 dollars at wal mart for a 68 oz bottle of olive oil. It lasts me unbelievable long.

Whether you are stretching, transitiong, or fully natural THIS OIL IS FOR YOU!

Just a tip for those who are going through hell detangling

Last edited:

chasturner84

Although I'm not transitioning (...yet), I wish olive worked for my hair. I have huge detangling issues when I stretch longer than 16-18 weeks. No type of oil helps with my hair. :nono: The only thing that does work is AO Island Naturals condish and I have saturate my hair and use it as a leave-in...I'm getting upset thinking about having to detangle my hair in August when I start preparing for my relaxer. :ohwell:

MsLizziA

Although I'm not transitioning (...yet), I wish olive worked for my hair. I have huge detangling issues when I stretch longer than 16-18 weeks. No type of oil helps with my hair. :nono: The only thing that does work is AO Island Naturals condish and I have saturate my hair and use it as a leave-in...I'm getting upset thinking about having to detangle my hair in August when I start preparing for my relaxer. :ohwell:
Do you soak your hair in it? How does your hair respond to it? because i don't understand why it wouldn't work for you.

I literally saturate my hair in it, like pour it on saturate it

Leeda.the.Paladin

Some oils are just not for everyone. At least you have something that works in the AO conditioner. I like olive oil for oil rinsing but not for sealing.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Don't make promises you can't keep lol evoo doesn't detangle my hair but it does make it feel nice along with coconut oil and shea butter

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've tried Olive Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil...neither one does any good for my hair...not for detangling nor moisture. It makes my hair feel straw-like and dry. :perplexed

MsLizziA

I've tried Olive Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil...neither one does any good for my hair...not for detangling nor moisture. It makes my hair feel straw-like and dry. :perplexed
well once i detangle with it, i rinse it out.

chasturner84

Do you soak your hair in it? How does your hair respond to it? because i don't understand why it wouldn't work for you.

I literally saturate my hair in it, like pour it on saturate it

I tried to saturate my hair with it but it does absolutely nothing. Oil just seems to make my hair tangle more. By the time I rinsed the olive oil out, my hair was worse than before. It works like a charm on my mom's hair though.

Another bad one for me is coconut oil...I'll never try that again...ever!

PPGbubbles

I will co-sign that oils are great detanglers BUT....

My hair hate olive oil as well :/ but dont fret ladies if EVOO isnt for you, you may find true love in grapeseed oil. It is also pretty cheap I get lrg bottles for 2.99 @ trader joes and it has been true love ever since!

And I love my trusted coconut oil but it cost more so grapeseed oil is an affordable substitute :)

darlingdiva

Olive oil does the same thing to my hair, but the comb slides right through when I detangle w/ JC Leave-In & castor oil.

chebaby

i do pretty much the same thing with coconut oil. i slather it on my hair while its dry, then drench with water in the shower then i slather on conditioner and my fingers just glide through.

ingenious_mind

Yes I would have to agree. Olive oil detangles my hair really well! I recently had to detangle after a 4th day wash n go :nono:. It wasn't pretty. If I didn't know to saturate my hair with olive oil on top of my conditioner I would've lost way more hair. I use grapeseed for detangling sometimes as well. I dont use it to seal because it leaves my hair super greasy.

Lola Laughs

MsLiz, I have to co-sign. I do the same thing before I co-wash. I first tried it when a hair blogger noted that it helped reduce SSKs (which it has). The easy detangling was a bonus. I also infuse the oil with rosemary and amla.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I used to apply EVOO to slightly damp hair for 1hr as a pre-poo it works well on the tangles. But, I have recently discovered rice bran oil :love: it works like 10x better for detangling and moisture. Love it.

ParagonTresses

Like another poster mentioned previously, every head of hair is different. I've used oils in the past to detangle and they work O.K. for me but the combo that gives me the "melted tangles" effect is to saturate my hair with Infusium 23, cover with a conditioning cap for about 15min and fingercomb section by section using World of Curls activator gel.

brianna-alyssa

I am no longer transitioning, i am fully natural but i think i can be of some help to you ladies who are having trouble detangling. I noticed a good bit of women in the Transitioning Support thread were having issues with this

Here is a great tip. OLIVE OIL IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!

Whether you detangle on wet or dry hair, olive oil is where you need to be. I detangle my hair with ease when i use this and i say olive oil because its one of the best oils out there for hair and you get alot for a pretty decent price.

I detangle my hair by soaking my hair in olive oil and letting it sit for about 5 - 10 so it can loosen the hair up some. Just detangle from tip to root with a comb and your hair will just melt out of knots

No matter if its braids im taking down, a sew in, or just detangling my hair, that oil is magic in a bottle. And if you need more put more in your hair but i promise you this will solve your detangling issues.

I pay 15 dollars at wal mart for a 68 oz bottle of olive oil. It lasts me unbelievable long.

Whether you are stretching, transitiong, or fully natural THIS OIL IS FOR YOU!

Just a tip for those who are going through hell detangling

I use that same oil lol. I'll try this for detangling tonight :yep:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

i really wish it did
don't know if it's b/c i have extra fine hair...but extra virgin olive oil tangles me even more.... same thing if i add oils to my conditioners... i have to cowash them out to detangle...it actually makes me loose the slip from the conditioner

MissLawyerLady

I relaxed recently and had tons of tangles in my hair (from washing the week before in the sink)! It wasn't pretty:nono::sad::wallbash:

Please do whatever you can to detangle prior to relaxing. I know every head of hair is different, and you might not have the same terrible experience I did, but I wouldn't want anyone to go through my knot nightmare!:nono: HTH

tnorenberg

I used to apply EVOO to slightly damp hair for 1hr as a pre-poo it works well on the tangles. But, I have recently discovered rice bran oil :love: it works like 10x better for detangling and moisture. Love it.

Where do you find rice bran oil??

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
coconut oil helps me out alottt! my hair has been tangle free since using it. TANGLE FREE. not even the smallest knot is on my head.

DeepBluSea

I love EVOO as well. Anyone remember the oil rinsing craze a couple years back? It is a really helps to keep my DD's hair moisturized.

On the other hand, coconut oil has always been blah for me. Heavier oils like EVOO and castor oil work better with my hair.

Black Ambrosia

I use the Ouidad comb and a leave in spray. Normally its the Ojon Restorative Mist but I've used others with good results too. The comb is really the key but the spray makes it softer. I know there are other threads where people complain about the weight and the cost but I don't agree. The weight is insignificant and the cost ($24 at Sephora and Amazon) is well worth it for the time and hairs saved. The comb is probably the best investment I've made in my hair and one of the best products I've discovered from the forum.