Heat training

LoveCraze

Naturalista
How many of you have heard of heat training your hair to loosen your curl pattern by using a blow dryer? If you have done this, how successful were you in heat training your hair and what kind of results did you get?

Longhairdontcare was talking about heat training her hair to give it a more wavy pattern. Has anyone else hear of this? Her hair is beautiful BTW.:pant:

Here's her vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5U0SMBMMCc

angelgrl135

"heat training" is just a nice way of saying "heat damage."

When your hair structure becomes damaged by the overuse of heat, your natural curl pattern can suffer. It can occur in a random patch of hair becoming "looser", or you can have ends(unrelaxed) that all of sudden hang straight no matter what you do to get them to revert.

To make a long story short, I wouldnt recommend any intentional damaging of your hair. You won't be able to control how your hair will react and you could do a lot more harm in the process...

Last edited:

Neith

Yes, we know that the reason the hair gets straighter is because you've caused heat damage.

IF you can control the extent of the damage, I guess it could work.

Seems to work very well for her :yep:

I've never done it though.

It does seem tricky. At what point do you have too much damage... and splits/breakage? At what point do you have straight spots?

Nayna

Unbothered
She has beautiful hair. But she does say she did it by accident. I think she still has texture because she only does it once a month.

MixedBerry

All I want to do is drink and fuhk.
To the OP:

LOVE YOUR HAIR FOR WHAT IT IS!!!!!!

Okay, I've met my cliche quota for the day.....

LoveCraze

Naturalista
To the OP:

LOVE YOUR HAIR FOR WHAT IT IS!!!!!!

Okay, I've met my cliche quota for the day.....

LOL I was just curious about it. I am done with the straight hair look. I'm still learning my hair so I definitely don't want to do anything that will change it from it's natural texture.

BTW. I am LOVING getting to know my hair.:grin:

Duchesse

If my hair strands were thicker, I would attempt to mildly heat damage my hair to remove some of the curl. It's how my hair was when I was younger from pressing and blow drying, but I never grew past APL.

dicapr

I want heat trained hair. I don't think of it as damaged hair no more than I think of relaxed hair as chemical damaged. It is a way of manipulating your hair to do what you want it to do. There are too many women I have seen in real life with long, non-breaking, non-snapping hair that has been heat trained over a long period. It is only damaged if that is not what you want out of your hair. I considered my hair damaged when my hair was rough and breaking due to single strand knots-my hair tends to break right above the knot. When I texlaxed to loosen my curl pattern and rid myself of single strand knots I did not consider it chemical damaged. It was strong, healthy, and I had even less breakage than I did when my hair was natural. I have seen heat damage. To me heat damage is when the hair fries, turns brown, and starts coming off in your hand. I experienced that when I was learning to press my hair. That is heat damage. Your hair having limp curls doesn't qualify as damage to me.

aegis

My coworker has heat trained hair and has one of the loveliest heads of hair ever. While my no heat reggie has failed. I'm going to be pressing once a month or so from now on.