AYURVEDIC POWDER ADVICE + Excerpt from: Cherie Ayurveda Vol: 1

Faith

^^ Thanks for responding. I started using the powders (amla and brahmi) in oil today and my scalp has been tingling/itchy all day which for me is a good thing. It's how it felt before and I got 1" ;)

Denise11

Do I have to wait 7 days to relax my hair if I'm using amla or the other moisturizing powders? And if so, why, if they are moisturizing and doesn't cause dryness?

Please Candy and others, explain this to me because I'm relaxing on the 20th. TIA!

flowinlocks

Do I have to wait 7 days to relax my hair if I'm using amla or the other moisturizing powders? And if so, why, if they are moisturizing and doesn't cause dryness?

Please Candy and others, explain this to me because I'm relaxing on the 20th. TIA!

I relaxed my hair the day after using the herbs with no problems. Amla is not moisturizing, it is Acidic. Aritha, Neem, Shikakai are also drying but have multiple benefits, the more moisturizing ones are Bhrami, Bhringraj, Fenugreek, & Hibisicus.

Denise11

Oh, okay. That's why she doesn't have a pm option. I am often reminded that I'm still new here.LOL

Thanks again flowinlocks! You keep coming to my rescue. I appreciate it!

Denise11

Does anyone know how long Candy_C's hair was before she started Ayurveda? I want to know because she has great growth but I want to know if it's just in her genes. I don't want to start this and just get the same amt. Of growth that I'm use to getting (1/2 inch per month).

My hair is strong and it doesn't break. I'm just doing it for the growth. Should I leave well enough alone (as my mama says)?

Last edited:

hurricane

Does anyone know how long Candy_C's hair was before she started Ayurveda? I want to know because she has great growth but I want to know if it's just in her genes. I don't want to start this and just get the same amt. Of growth that I'm use to getting (1/2 inch per month).

My hair is strong and it doesn't break. I'm just doing it for the growth. Should I leave well enough alone (as my mama says)?

I have tried her method and the tea rinsing was too drying for me. But the good thing about ayurveda is that you can do other things. You can mix the powders in condish. for a co-wash or use the paste. I do the later two.

Denise11

I have tried her method and the tea rinsing was too drying for me. But the good thing about ayurveda is that you can do other things. You can mix the powders in condish. for a co-wash or use the paste. I do the later two.

Thanks hurricane. I'm just stumbling around here trying to find something different that will grow my hair faster.

Fleurzty

I started using Amla a few weeks ago and I love it. I know many people experienced dryness using it but I had the opposite reaction. It does not dry my hair out at all. I, in fact, get more curl definition after using Amla and am having to use less products to style. I'll try adding it to my conditioner next weekend and see what the results are from that.

Lucia

Am I crazy or does Mahabringharaj (sp?) oil give anyone else a headache. I've used it 3 times and each time I've noticed that after I massage it in I have a headache :blush:
I haven't used the oils, but I know that the warm water rinses and massages can give you a headache sometimes, if you don't go rest, or to sleep right after. hth

Lucia

I decided to do the amla & brahmi liquid afterall. I apply it to my scalp daily (not a braid spray..tried it and didn't like it) and it's been going very well. I refrigerate it so it doesn't go bad. And my hair seems to be growing more than usual. I'm pleased.

My question is if these powders are only for rinsing then what happens when you create oils from them? Do you rinse those oils out then?

thanks for posting your results, I was rinsing 2x/week during the summer and fall, before I put my hair up in a weave closure unit, but I moisturize with conditioner diluted with water, but I've been trying to find a way to keep doing my ayurveda while my hair's in the weave, this sounds perfect I'll just add it to my diluted condish mixture.

Faith

Be careful Lucia. I ended up having more buildup than I thought I would. My conditioner was diluted enough. I'm not sure I would advice it in hindsight unless you were sure you weren't getting massive buildup.

moonglowdiva

I had a question about something ayurvedic but I have forgotton. I guess i'll just make a comment. I love ayurvedic tea rinses and cowashes. I am not totally 100% ayurvedic I am finding for my hair I have to rotate products because my hair will build up a resistance to the product and the product will become ineffective for my hair.

Lucia

Be careful Lucia. I ended up having more buildup than I thought I would. My conditioner was diluted enough. I'm not sure I would advice it in hindsight unless you were sure you weren't getting massive buildup.
thanks, I'm going to take it down soon, so I'll see if there's a lot of build up I haven't had hardly any build up with the diluted conditioner, I also boiled a small amount of Ayurvedic powers with water before letting it cool. It cant be more then when I used Scurl and oils while braided, now that was some build up.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I relaxed my hair the day after using the herbs with no problems. Amla is not moisturizing, it is Acidic. Aritha, Neem, Shikakai are also drying but have multiple benefits, the more moisturizing ones are Bhrami, Bhringraj, Fenugreek, & Hibisicus.

flowinlocks do you still use these? I'm just starting, but I want to make sure that using Amla ang bhringraj before a relaxer isn't a big deal. I'd like to use it today and maybe another day this week before I relax thursday/friday.

flowinlocks

@flowinlocks do you still use these? I'm just starting, but I want to make sure that using Amla ang bhringraj before a relaxer isn't a big deal. I'd like to use it today and maybe another day this week before I relax thursday/friday.

I have never had any adverse reactions from using the powders before relaxing. I would caution using the more drying powders as they may strip the hair a bit too much before the relaxing process. Other than that you should be fine. I have been totally lazy this year with my Ayurveda. I seriously need to get back on it.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
flowinlocks so how do you do yours? (when you did it). I'm thinking to mix the two amla and bhringraj (which I think are both moisturizing) with some water then also with conditioner as a pre treatment then cowash. I did that with just the amla last week and my hair felt strong and clean.

flowinlocks

@flowinlocks so how do you do yours? (when you did it). I'm thinking to mix the two amla and bhringraj (which I think are both moisturizing) with some water then also with conditioner as a pre treatment then cowash. I did that with just the amla last week and my hair felt strong and clean.

Amla is not moisturzing. It's acidic that's why your hair felt clean. I would usually make a paste out of the moisturizing powders and cond. Or use them as a tea. MAKE SURE you pre oil the hair. If you are a newbie at this please make sure to go back and read some of the Ayurveda threads. For more cleansing I use Amla and Shikaki and a tea rinse. Then follow with a cond. paste with Bhringraj/Maka and Brahmi.