Honey or molasses in conditioner?

stephluvshair

Hey ladies, last week I did a henna treatment (which is great but can be very drying to your hair if you don't follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner) Tomorrow is my wash day and I would like to DC with a moisturizing conditioner but I wanted to know if it was a good idea to add honey or molasses to make my hair come out much softer. I really need to soften my hair right now because it is snapping off like crazy and I know its because of the henna. Is honey a good addition. Thanx ladies

Creatividual

That's a GRRRRRRR-EAT! idea! Both are very moisturizing. I don't kow much about molasses but honey also gives your hair incredible shine. I luuuuv honey. I add honey to everything including my henna glosses.

Pandora1975

I add honey every time I dc. My hair loves it. I also add it my henna mixture to stave off the dryness from the start.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I just started using honey in my conditioners and so far so good. Leaves my hair soft and shiny.

jazzyto

Honey, the molasses made my conditioner too runny. Honey does make your hair soft but I stopped using it cause I dont want my hair to lighten up

Creatividual

Yes, it can lighten your hair over time. I don't mind it though b/c I have black hair. You can use agave nectar instead and get the exact same softening, moisturizing and shine benefits of honey without the lightening.

Hot40

I would like to hear more about how to apply it.
My mother made a conditioner when we where kids wiht molassses in it.
Now she does not remember the receipe

camilla

Ok I used honey AND molassas on two different treatments add a tablespoon to a THICK conditioner I also add very little a teaspoon of oil coconut or amla to the molasses. It really makes my hair SOOOO SOFT the molasses is great for dark hair if you hair is light use the honey some say it lightens your hair. I put on a plastic cap and sit under the bonnet for 15 min.Any other questions let me know there are treatments on you tube i think her name is china black

Last edited:

ChrsLvsBks

I read that adding humectants (honey, molasses, agave nectar, glycerin) can be tricky if you live in an area that is too dry or too damp. If the dewpoint (can be found on weather.com), is above 60 or below 40, you may get frizz.

I purchased honey, blackstrap molasses and agave nectar. I have put agave nectar (about a teaspoon in 1/4 c. of conditioner) in some of my conditioners when I co-wash. I have not run into any problems yet.

Aggie

Decide which one you really wnat because honey and molasses will have slightly different results, ie, molasses has tannins in it that strengthen the hair and honey softens it. Like another poster indicated, honey is a humectant which attracts moisture and humectants respond well in humidity levels above 65%. If the humidity is lower, then you will have the reverse effect of what is intended, ie, dry hair because the humectant will take the path of least resistence and pull moisture from it's nearest point and that would be your scalp.

lilsparkle825

oh man, i gotta go with raw honey. i can tell a huge difference in the moisture level of my hair when i leave it out of my DC!

chebaby

i add honey all the time to my conditioners and/or pre poo. infact this weekend im doing a protein treatment with joico and will be following up with a moisturizing banana, honey and coconut oil treatment.
i hope it turns out great because i've never used bananas before.

Aspire

oh man, i gotta go with raw honey. i can tell a huge difference in the moisture level of my hair when i leave it out of my DC!

Oh yeah! You really want it yummy? :lick: Leave out the conditioner and add OO till smooth and creamy like warmed peanut butter. If you can deal with the messy application this is ultimate orgasm for the hair - at least for mine. I use it for our hair drying PA winters.

Processed honey is just does not yield the same results.:nono:

Last edited:
Hey ladies, last week I did a henna treatment (which is great but can be very drying to your hair if you don't follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner) Tomorrow is my wash day and I would like to DC with a moisturizing conditioner but I wanted to know if it was a good idea to add honey or molasses to make my hair come out much softer. I really need to soften my hair right now because it is snapping off like crazy and I know its because of the henna. Is honey a good addition. Thanx ladies

I mix in pure honey and evoo with my humectant conditioner. I then wrap my hair with saran wrap and place a scarf over it...if my hair is super dry, I'll sleep with this overnight. I must admit, it leaves my hair really, really supple, shiny, and strong. If i remember correctly, honey softens hair because it is a natural humectant. Some people actually put a touch of honey in their hair before a wet set. I've seen some amazing results with that.

Pooks

I've added honey and experienced great softening and moisture boosting results. I might give the honey and olive oil treatment a whirl sometime, hmmmm...

Aggie

Why not use both???
Can that work?

You know, I don't see why not. It means that you will be putting a moisture/protein mix together but take it slowly and watch for any unusual changes just in case.

ToyToy

I can't say anything about molasses, as I haven't tried them before, but honey is *awesome* in my hair. I add a little to my conditioner, and it gives my hair shine as well as slip and softness! It never fails!!!