How did you find out about LHCF?

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I was just wondering...how did you ladies find out about LHCF and what was your immediate reaction? Did you join the forum immediately? I was looking for a way to grow my hair back quickly after I cut it short at the end of 2005 for a change and then got tired of the look and wanted my hair back. I started searching the net in October 2006 for tips by typing in "hair growth" and "long hair", "black hair care" etc. Eventually I found the site. It took me like a day or two. When I found it I thought, was this here all the time? There is a site that helps black women to grow long beautiful hair? There are other women out there that want long hair as badly as I do and actually talk about it together without having to feel funny about saying so and having others think they are obsessed. If I'd known about this sooner, my hair would be to my butt:lol: . I finally joined about a month ago. What about you ladies? What was your reaction?

blue_flower

I think it was back in 2001 that everyone was on this forum called longhairlovers. The owner was making changes and wanted everyone to pay to be a member. I can't remember how much it was, but everyone thought it was ridiculous. So in response, this forum was created. It was funny, but when this site was set up everyone was sending the URL to each other through PM, like it was a big secret. It was in a way, but then someone posted the url so everyone could see it. After that, everyone was here and longhairlovers became a ghost town. So, that's I how ended up here.

honeybadgirl

get out of my head with this thread!!! i was just thinking this this morning:)
i ran across it by accident. i'm natural and i was comtemplating trying that phyto relaxer and was trying to research it on the internet. i didnt want something strong. then somehow this site popped up! i came in and the rest is history!!!!:lol: needless to say with all the info here, i decided not to relax my hair and i felt so much at home with all the diverse type of heads here.:grin:

amwcah

I found it by surfing the net in October 2006. I don't recall what I was looking for, but I joined immediately!;)

guesswho

I did a google search about natural hair and a bunch of things popped up this was one of them, I then lurked for a year till I completely joined, I did the basic register thing but I didn't paid then 5 bucks, I recently made the huge downpayment to register for this site lol, my first reaction was wow! This is amazing a lot of women helping other women with this hair thing I'm here to stay! So I told all my coworkers about it and everyone who gave me compliments about my hair, but seriously this site is a blessing my hair is the proof! With the help of this site I plan to grow my waistlength hair, I'm just enjoying the ride :)

I think LHCF was heaven-sent for me. :D I recently have been suffering some breakage, and was doing an internet search to look for a fotki page of a stylist who used to have really good tips that I'd followed in the past. For some reason I couldn't find her page (which I could have sworn I'd bookmarked), using the same search terms that I always used when I wanted to find it. So I gave up and started searching for advice about my breakage, which lead me to a thread here. I signed up, and started browsing posts, and immediately thought "this is great". And I was impressed by how nice and supportive all the ladies here seemed to be. But it took me a couple days to figure out how to become a subscribing member (I was being lazy, I looked for a link but silly me didn't bother reading the second part of the welcome info on the left side of the page). When I did figure it out and saw I had to pay $5, I initially though it "why in the world do you have to pay to post on a message board?", b/c I'd never seen anyone charge before. A half a day later, I thought, "this is ridiculous, it's just $5", and it will obviously be beneficial. Then I told myself to stop being silly and pay the damn $5 ... Best $5 I've ever spent :grin:. Incidentally, a few day after I joined LHCF, I decided I still really wanted to find that Fotki page I'd been looking for, and I found it with no problem ... which is why I say finding LHCF was divine intervention for me! :lol: Honestly, I don't know how I'd never stumbled across it before, the only forum my search results ever hit for years was blackhaircaremedia. Everyday since I've found this site, I've wished that I'd found this back when I was in college. Better yet, I wish I'd grown up knowing how to take care of my hair all along. For so long it's been extremely difficult to find information about our hair. Thank goodness for the internet!

Ok, so that I know that was kinda long, and I was rambling a little, but that's just how much I love LHCF already! :weird:

delecie

I was looking for a hair butter recipe. I did a google search for "shea mango avocado butter hair recipe" and a LHCF thread came up on one page. The words, "women of color" jumped out at me so I clicked on the site and began reading the thread. The posters seemed very friendly and it "felt" like a group of sister friends who were having a great time. I registered immediately and became a paying member a week or two later.

Ladyhenri

I have always dreamt of having long hair, but thought it impossible...this didnt stop me doing an occasional search.
I found Robin's grow afro hair long one day in september and the next day, LHCF. I cant remember what on earth i typed in the search engine.
I browsed for about 30minutes and paid for my membership straight afterwards. I didnt care about the price. To me, the information, comparison pictures and everything else on the site are priceless.
I havent looked back since joining

eyunka

By way of my BF....she began telling me about some of the threads that peeked my interest and I have never looked back.

Proudpiscean

I have always wanted long hair, but could not break the infamous shoulder length barrier. My hair was breaking all the time and I would always have small pieces of hair on my shirt after combing, so out of frustration I started googling 'long, healthy african american hair' (or something like that) and a link to a thread lead me here. I lurked for all of two weeks until I saw the link on the left side of the screen telling how to join :lol: .....it is the best 5 bucks I ever spent, I have learned sooo much thanks to LHCF! I no longer have any breakage & my hair is now thriving since I figured out that moisture is my friend along with a little protein.;)

Incredible1ne

Whenever there's a hair question on other boards, somebody always suggests LHCF. I know I heard about this board because some lady was calling people crazy on here for using MTG.

The Girl

jamaicancurry said:
I googled 'black hair care'-found this and Robin woods website
yeah I thinks thats how I found it too. I think I started looking for my baby's hair and found BHCM and somewhere they referenced LHCF....I lurked long enough to get my paypal acct squared away.

LovelyZ

countrygal introduced me to the board. i think at first i was like "why is she soooo obsessed with hair" :perplexed but then i came out to some meetings and started lurking on the board (this was before you had to pay a fee). A year later I was on the bun challenge and totally hooked!!!!

wheezy807

Actually, i was at another board and one of the ladies mentioned LHCF in a thread. So i decided one day to come and check it out. I fell in love with this site. Plus i was trying to stalk peoples fotki when i noticed the pw were in their profiles, well i had to hurry up and pay my $5 for that reason alone LOL! I liked the other board too ( i was a newbie ), i just stop by every few months and lurk. All the oldbies are gone, it's like everyone took a hair haitus. I just don't understand, how sad.:perplexed

br0wney3z

I found this website completely by accident. I had just had a terrible relaxer in January that left my scalp completely, and I mean completely scabbed. I was so tired with dealing...or better yet, not knowing how to deal with my hair that I decided to start looking for alternatives. I somehow heard about this 'natural relaxer' called bodipher, and was interested in using it so I did a google search to find reviews of it. A few people had discussed it here on the board so I ended up reading that, then found other interesting tidbits of information. Like the rest of you I was astounded that this had been here for so long. For me it felt like I had been walking through this dark, thick forest and stumbled upon this castle with shiny gates, and the promise of a better life:lol: (i know a bit dramatic), but that really how I felt at the time, so paying the $5 to open the gates was nothing for me. I told my friend who is also having hair problems about the site and she lurked but decided she wasn't going to pay and thought I was crazy for doing it, so did my mom. Why yesterday did she take out her weave and was asking to use some of my products b/c she likes the way my hair is looking these days:) . I love this place, its like my secret garden.

R

Reslnt1

I found out about this site from my H.S. friend: PatienceVirtue less than a week ago. We were talking about hair care/length issues and she recommended the site to me. I have been searching for a place to educate myself about haircare but gave up. Word of mouth really works with the sistahs, b/c i have already recommended the site to two females that work with me at the hospital. LHCF, thanks for coming into existence!!!!!!!...A sistah really needed you.:D

Blackberry7

Hi All,
I'm a newbie. I found it a while ago through another board. So I've checked in just to lurk for a while and today I decided to join. Wow there's a whole lot more in here once you subscribe! I'm looking forward to learning and sharing. :)

Missi

fotki, i believe it was Dana....the lady who was on UBHpublications.com as a before and after customer

Cien

Pink is my signature color
I was on another board, and was reading a thread about hair---because I previously had this terrible weave experience. Someone said something about MSM.

I had NO IDEA what MSM was-----did a google search, and found this site!!

I lurked for about 9 months, (all while doing my newly found baggy method that I learned about on this site :D )then I finally joined in February of 2006.

Qetesh

i had a co-worker give me the forum but i wasnt ready so months later i found it on motown girls site when i was ready for it :)

C

chica_canella

yeah, i was searching black hair care and found probably this site first but then went on bhm and didn't know much about this site because the computer wouldn't let me log in or look at the threads. So then maybe like 9 months later i paid the 5 dollars and joined.:D

justsimply

I had taken my 2nd set of locs out (of course, they had not loced yet). I wasn't really feeling the continual twist and twist out at that time, but I knew repeated flat ironing was killing my hair. I had looked on the net when I comtemplated my first set of locs and found a wealth of info. So when I decided to relax again I wanted to learn as much as I could about caring for relaxed hair and I stumbled in here.

Kari107

About a year ago I decide to get serious about taking care of my hair so I sat down and googled as many things I could think of. I was through one of those random searches I came across this site. I can't even imagine what my hair would belike had I not found this site. I totally love it:love: .

SEMO

Like a lot of the other ladies I found this site because I was researching a hair product and a thread for the forum was at the top of the list. I joined immediately, since it was free. Eventually though I got tired of not being able to look at some people's fotki. Everyone seemed to keep their password in their profile (which is why mine is right next to the link ;) ) and gave up the $5 to become a member. I don't regret it. :D

When I first joined I wanted to tell everyone about LHCF. But now....well... maybe if they seemed very into haircare I would. I've only told a few though.

Barbara

Princess
jamaicancurry said:
I googled 'black hair care'-found this and Robin woods website

I was bored at work, and I kept trying to look busy . . . so I stumbled across this website by typing "Black Hair Care" and presto! there it was with a bunch of other websites.

I didn't even remember the name of this website. All I remembered was that each month a woman was featured, and I was astonished at how they were doing their own hair with products that cost a lot less than mine and getting salon-looking results! I've been going to the salon most of my life, every two weeks, and using expensive products.

My hair was already bra-clasp length when I found this website in August 2004. That's when I decided to register, but I didn't want to be a full-fledged member then. So I would study each "Feature of the Month" and make a note of each one that I finished reading. I was really impressed.

A few weeks later, it was slow at the office again. I kept looking for this website, not knowing that I was already in the discussion board. I just didn't know where to find the Feature of the Month reviews, because I didn't write the website address down when I first found it weeks earlier. I just kept looking for it for about three weeks, then I found it again. This time I wrote it down.

It still didn't dawn on me that I found it a few weeks earlier. I was just in the discussion board--which is the same site and I didn't bother reading the threads because I never opened them. After reading all the Feature of the Month candidates, that's when I decided to read the threads from the discussion boards. This was very informative.

Anyway, after two years and four months, I finally decided to become an active member this past January by paying $5.

Last edited:

AKA-Tude

I was in a search to find some Black ppl that used PHYTOSpecific (mind you, I had been searching for about 2 years off & on for this)!

This forum popped up & I've been hooked ever since!

It was & still is such a wealth of information.

I think I registered the first day & became a paid member the next.

It was a no-brainer.

I luv it!!!