How do you feel about white women being a part of the natural hair community?

CaraWalker

Rhonda A. Lee the Black woman who was fired from her meteorologist job in Shreveport, La., after defending her natural hair on the station’s Facebook page, has just accepted a job with a national weather channel in Colorado.

More than a year and a half has passed since Lee was fired from KTBS 3 News, an ABC affiliate in Shreveport, after she responded to users on Facebook who complained about her natural hairstyle. The station said Lee was fired for violating its social media policy. She has filed an EEOC complaint against the station and is in mediation to resolve her dismissal. Lee said she has no regrets about defending her natural hair and says her dispute with the Shreveport station hasn’t been an issue with her new employer.

“It wouldn’t require anything more than a brief explanation,” she said. “My new boss said, ‘I heard about that,’ and we moved on so that was it. Every once in a while in life, you find good people with good sense who know talent when they see it and know a good employee when they see it.”

Despite the frustration that comes from refusing to change her hair style to have a more mainstream, broadcast aesthetic, Lee says sticking to her values made the pain of unemployment worth it.

yall with this, ww? no? didnt think so.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I joined a year before you, and race division is nothing new here. If race division was not a concern this forum would never have been created. Personally, I would prefer if white women were not apart of the"Natural hair Movement". I don't care how curly their hair is or how frizzy it can become in the rain, their Journey is not ours and ours is not theirs. All throughout school my hair and I were different, together we stood out and I was questioned, teased and made to feel ugly and less than. I know my story is not the story of every black girl, but as a collective our stories are more similar then not, and as a collective our hair is more similar. The "Natural Hair Movement" is a movement to showcase the black women's pride, beauty, and diversity in their hair. It should not be infiltrated by others just because they discovered a way to combat triangle hair or frizz. In a sea of white girls with hair types ranging from 1-3b, I was the only one with 4b hair and not one of them could relate to my hair struggles. I remember this particular day like it was yesterday..... all the girls lined up to have their hair tidied up and the teacher with her tiny little blue comb looked right at me and then took the next girl.
OMG...Yessss...when I was in High school and on an all white (except for me, of course) cheerleading squad, the other girls on my squad actually had a meeting to discuss my hair. I was not invited to the meeting before the meeting but they took a vote and decided that while my cornrows were cute that I would need to take them down so that I could look like everyone else...WHAT! Did they think that I with my 3-4 inches of 4-something hair and very, very brown skin and very, very embarrassingly curvy 15-year-old body was going to ever look like them? I couldn't even explain to them that what they were asking was impossible...my first out-and-out experience with discrimination to my dang face! Needless to say, my 15-year-old self was less-than-eloquent with my y'all iches better *********! The experience made me cry and still stings almost 4 decades later. I took a vote and by a vote of 1 to 0, I prefer "Becky" be excused from the "NHM".

Last edited:

Ogoma

Read this comment online. It was from back in September and they were complaining about natural hair companies using only black people in their marketing.

I'm with you with Shea moisture, I love their products for my hair but it does bother me a bit that all the advertising on facebook is geared toward African american. I wrote them a while back why that is, I received a very politicly correct reply that in essence said other ethnicities predominantly wear their hair straight. I don't think those companies are racist just a bit ignorant, and in the end they are loosing out.

And what is this black ppl have curls and white ppl have have waves that CURLS said on their fb page?

Wow!

curlytwirly06

Read this comment online. It was from back in September and they were complaining about natural hair companies using only black people in their marketing. Wow!

Her privilege was going full blast wasn't it? We can't have anything. 99% of all companies are geared towards white woman. The one that doesn't is a problem and ignorant. I can't with this mess. This is why we need the natural movement to be specified as for colored girls only.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Read this comment online. It was from back in September and they were complaining about natural hair companies using only black people in their marketing. Wow!

Then they don't need to buy the product. We really have no products catered to us but the minute we do, it's a problem because we don't advertise it's for WP too? Are they writing to vatika and dabur too because I don't see ww on their products? I'm starting to think it's just US.

Mz.MoMo5235

Then they don't need to buy the product. We really have no products catered to us but the minute we do, it's a problem because we don't advertise it's for WP too? Are they writing to vatika and dabur too because I don't see ww on their products? I'm starting to think it's just US.

It is just us! Thats because Indians and Asians have made it clear their ish is not to be messed with. But they are used to us bending to their will and selling our ideas to them (for pennies compared to what they are truly worth) so the imaging can be changed.

That is why we have to put our foot down, BACK EACH OTHER UP, and let it be clear that we are saying

untitle.jpeg

I wish I would have been the one to reply to that beckys email! Of course I probably would have gotten the company sued cause there would have been nothing pc about it

SoopremeBeing

I feel some kinda way about it. Sometimes I'll do a natural hair hashtag search on IG for some inspiration, and I'll see some white girls' pictures.

I don't feel they belong. Their hair has never been criticized by corporate America and the US military for not being "appropriate." They don't understand.

Gin&Tonic

I feel some kinda way about it. Sometimes I'll do a natural hair hashtag search on IG for some inspiration, and I'll see some white girls' pictures. I don't feel they belong. Their hair has never been criticized by corporate America and the US military for not being "appropriate." They don't understand.

They are not trying to understand our hair. We are low hanging fruit like black athletes. Their hair is not amazing to other whites so the want to come over to us and get some shine for having "good hair ".

It's like the yt chick who can't dance will come to the black club and show out to hear "go white girl go !"

Eta: these yt women are not rushing to support or natural bloggers and utubers. They want shine, fame and money. They know what I know. They will always find blacks to support them- no matter how basic they are. We can't come up as a people as long as others know they can use us .

Last edited:

mscurly

This is late but I'm posting my two cents anyways regardless if someone reads it or not.

I didn't read all 20 something pages of this thread but to answer the question......

I think there is a difference between the natural hair movement and the curly girl movement

teamnatural I think is for black women embracing their natural hair

I was feautured in a documentary about having curly hair and in that film there were all races and textures including white talking about curly hair and the way society treats them and yes there are a lot of white women who were made fun of because their hair was curly and because they didnt fit into the long straight hair image.

I didn't mind participating because it was about curly hair NEVER did they use the word Natural because it didn't apply.

I'm all for inclusion if it's strictly for people with curly hair. Because yes black people aren't the only ones with curly hair.

However if you have a website talking about "transitioning" "big chop" embracing your "natural" beauty then yes I think it is a black movement.

I think this is more of a team natural vs team curly and yes I think there is a difference.

LadyRaider

Hah hah... speaking of white folks being prosecuted for their hair...

There's a white male professor here that was forced to get a hair cut. You would think that a professor could wear his hair anyway he wants. I mean there is nothing corporate about universities! But he was told that since he has to go talk with and facilitate meetings with superintendents that he can't wear his wear long. He is major bummed and feels discriminated against.

Me on the other hand... I'm showing up in cornrows, braid outs, twist outs, loud headbands and flowers, big fluffy hair styles any ol' dang time I please. I dare someone to say something to me. Even though I also deal with public schools.

Hah... poooooooo white folks!

Gin&Tonic

This is late but I'm posting my two cents anyways regardless if someone reads it or not.

I didn't read all 20 something pages of this thread but to answer the question......

I think there is a difference between the natural hair movement and the curly girl movement

teamnatural I think is for black women embracing their natural hair

I was feautured in a documentary about having curly hair and in that film there were all races and textures including white talking about curly hair and the way society treats them and yes there are a lot of white women who were made fun of because their hair was curly and because they didnt fit into the long straight hair image.

I didn't mind participating because it was about curly hair NEVER did they use the word Natural because it didn't apply.

I'm all for inclusion if it's strictly for people with curly hair. Because yes black people aren't the only ones with curly hair.

However if you have a website talking about "transitioning" "big chop" embracing your "natural" beauty then yes I think it is a black movement.

I think this is more of a team natural vs team curly and yes I think there is a difference.

Sigh... You are so right. The curly hair movement and the natural hair movement are two separate movements.

You can be in the curly hair movement with a curly haired blond. But you cant be in the blond hair movement (even if you dye your hair blond) and she cant be in the natural hair movement.

Its simple really. It's just our need to put whites in everything that causes the confusion.

MsKinkycurl

I'm not surprised white women are trying to include themselves in the natural hair movement, now that it has become popular. What surprises me is that black women are bending over backwards attacking eachother just to make white women feel comfortable.

White women can think what they want to think as long as WE don't lose sight of the truth. What we need to do was gently shut them done and keep it moving when they try to start trouble. The can be a part of the group but they can't REBRAND the movement.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using LHCF

Honey Bee

Psssst. :sekret: If this whole thing riled you up, come join us in taking action.

Find us over here... and then follow the breadcrumbs. :sekret:

Mz.MoMo5235

Not to restart sh!t but I was on pinterest looking for African themed weddings and this is the first pic that popped up

5df42f3ee7dba2ce00cbd973489f033e.jpeg

Needless to say, this is why we need to keep this inclusive with US