How do you feel about white women being a part of the natural hair community?

sunnydaze

She knew damn well what she was doing! She started this for kicks and giggles, using her privilege to cause this divisiveness for some petty attention. Smh..

Wow. This answers all questions. We trying to share, fellowship about hair..they coming in to start up **t. Ain't nobody got time for that...yea stay out.

loved

I unsubscribed from CN a few weeks ago and this confirms that it was the right decision. CN is becoming more about the celebrity of being a hair blogger and less about providing good information for the spectrum of black women's hair. WhiteLily was definitely in the game for clicks and giggles and CN got poned by snowflake.

Ogoma

Wow. This answers all questions. We trying to share, fellowship about hair..they coming in to start up **t. Ain't nobody got time for that...yea stay out.

I am just amazed at how many black supporters she has. I have no emotional investment in CN so I have been reading the story nonchalantly; I expect her to do something like this. If BGLH did this, I would be more emotionally invested. But, this chick's response has been getting on my last nerve. I noticed a YouTuber I follow giving her words of support and I unsubscribed from her.

Daernyris

I am just amazed at how many black supporters she has. I have no emotional investment in CN so I have been reading the story nonchalantly; I expect her to do something like this. If BGLH did this, I would be more emotionally invested. But, this chick's response has been getting on my last nerve. I noticed a YouTuber I follow giving her words of support and I unsubscribed from her.

^^^@ the bolded
That's that coon mentality, quick to defend the massa/misses and throw ya own under a bus for trinkets. We got too many wanting to look like "the good blacks" and not one of those other kinda blacks.

ETA: Black folks will give their eyeteeth for some acceptance from other groups that don't care anything for their advancement

Last edited:

Evolving78

Yes GoldenRule, I remember quite well. I was a member lurking over on the "other site" prior to LHCF but the info seamed really inadequate. I was also a member of Blackwomenshairandbody (or something like that:lol:) on Yahoo. This was around 1999-00, when LHCF started it was so refreshing to say the least. They had no info over on "other site" and I got the sense that I was NOT welcomed.

I was a part of that yahoo group too. I haven't read the thread, but I hope she got her behind handed to her.

SweetlyCurly

LHCF was created because we were pretty much kicked off the white womens board. We all used to post on long hair forum and they were really crappy with the black women. Then they suggested we get our own sub-forum, then they didn't want us there either so Beverly created this board for us. Now they want to sing kumbayah? They have zero desire to "understand" our hair other than to assure themselves that theirs is more desirable...lol. nah, they can stay in their lane IMO.

I was not aware of this but doesn't surprise me.

Here is my thing...by causing an e-uprise about this article aren't we doing the same thing they do to us? If this little girl wants to identify as a curly then let her. If she wants to tell us about her struggle of her wavy-semi curly hair then allow her to do so. Some just get WAY too involved about other people's lives and opinions.

I get the frustration about having to be the one to "raise above" sometimes that's the best way to deal with ignorance.

blessedandfavoured

Hello Sistas, this is my first post in the hair section! :wave:

White women joining the natural hair movement? I say NEVER. I don't care how curly their hair is - NEVER! Their struggle is not our struggle. If they do things to their hair, it's to fit in. They are not verbally abused because of their hair, as far as I know. They don't have their own family members calling them names or asking them when they'll 'fix' their hair because they decided not to flat-iron or wear it in a bun that day. They haven't been so conditioned to scorn their own God-given hair, that from as young as 5, they've had it straightened so it can look 'good'.

Do they know what chemical burns are about? They don't have to struggle and search high and low for women in mainstream magazines or films that look like them or have similar hair. 15 years ago, the only 'black' woman I knew of with natural hair was Mel B. from the Spice Girls. Even then, her hair looked nothing like mine.

In short, white women don't have to live with the legacy that Slavery and Colonialism have left to Negroes. To me, the natural hair movement isn't just about hair, it's also about taking steps to undo the damage that slavery and colonialism have done to black women (and where hair is concerned, men to a lesser degree) ALL over the world. We've been taught for generations to hate all our physical attributes, from our skin colour, to our hair texture, to our bodies, even our eye colour!

Then one day, when we finally learn to start loving ourselves as God made us, white folks - the descendants of those who have dished out the most wickedness to us as a group, some of whom are still sitting idly by while we're being marginalised, or worse, are actively oppressing us - want to come in and take what we have worked so hard for. No. Thank. You.

Before I found this forum, I was natural but had no clue how to take care of my hair. It wasn't Vogue, or Cosmopolitan, or even Ebony or Essence or Hype Hair that gave me tips. All the black magazines I saw only catered to relaxed hair or weaves - even braids weren't that popular. It was this forum and the natural hair movement taking place on line that pointed me in the right direction. Now white folks want a piece of the pie? Like, don't you have enough already? The whole world is YOURS!!! Please, take a stadium's worth of seats!

I think history has shown us that when whites come into a 'black zone', it isn't long before they push the blacks out or subjugate them. I hate to sound so militant, but the truth is, blacks and whites are not on the same level playing field yet. If we were, this little interview wouldn't be an issue. But check the evidence - the only time you see any tv show with a majority black cast is when it's about crime or prison, but white people are always represented in a positive light. Now black women want to gather in a positive way, and celebrate the uniqueness of our hair, and comfort and encourage one another in this hair struggle, and white folks want to muscle in on our turf. How is that fair?

Slight aside: Some years ago, I saw a L'oreal advert for foundation. Their idea of 'dark' skin? Noemie Lenoir. Really???
This is why I'm doubly happy to see Mahogany Curls get that money. She looks like a great number of black women the world over. It's a step in the right direction. God willing, in the near future we'll have women with type 4 hair fronting campaigns. Hey, we've already got Lupita doing Lancome, so it's coming.

Sorry this post is so long. I have a problem keeping it brief, lol.

Ogoma

She cannot force her way in unless we let her. Any black blogger that does this, stop going to her site and reading her blog. If she loses readers enmass, she will never try it again and the rest would get the message. But, are people really going to do it?

JollyGal

I feel indifference to uneasy. Same way I feel about "facial oil" and "hair oil treatments" being touted as a new discovery by big name brands such as l'oreal

If we include white women in the natural hair movement should we include asian women who used to get chemical perms a few times a year to keep their hair straight?

i prefer to see black women's hair (afro, coily or curly) as the symbol of the natural hair movement than curly hair from a white woman or asian woman. Symbols have meaning and have power. There is little power in allowing other women to hijack this movement.

Black women have worked so hard to spread this movement to the masses using word of mouth, the internet, demanding products, setting up businesses and setting up stalls at hair and beauty shows.
Lupita is talking about black afro hair in american vogue y'all! Black hair and the natural hair movement has sentimental value that cannot be bottled and sold

having said alla that sometimes we black women need to think about the benefits of including other women in our movements and ideas. Could the inclusion of other women allow the natural hair movement to reach other black women who get their hair care trends through other women?

Interesting question op

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

Unsubscribed from CN because of her silence on this matter. This woman is pretty much now insulting CN's readers and fan base (the same base that got her where she is) and she hasnt said ish

Stormy

They don't have to struggle and search high and low for women in mainstream magazines or films that look like them or have similar hair.

I still struggle as a 4ber! I've found quite a few Youtubers thank goodness, but it took awhile. One here, one there. Now I finally have a handful.
:yep:

In short, white women don't have to live with the legacy that Slavery and Colonialism have left to Negroes. To me, the natural hair movement isn't just about hair, it's also about taking steps to undo the damage that slavery and colonialism have done to black women (and where hair is concerned, men to a lesser degree) ALL over the world. We've been taught for generations to hate all our physical attributes, from our skin colour, to our hair texture, to our bodies, even our eye colour!

Yep! Preeeeach! :yep:

Then one day, when we finally learn to start loving ourselves as God made us, white folks - the descendants of those who have dished out the most wickedness to us as a group, some of whom are still sitting idly by while we're being marginalised, or worse, are actively oppressing us - want to come in and take what we have worked so hard for. No. Thank. You.

Before I found this forum, I was natural but had no clue how to take care of my hair. It wasn't Vogue, or Cosmopolitan, or even Ebony or Essence or Hype Hair that gave me tips. All the black magazines I saw only catered to relaxed hair or weaves - even braids weren't that popular. It was this forum and the natural hair movement taking place on line that pointed me in the right direction. Now white folks want a piece of the pie? Like, don't you have enough already? The whole world is YOURS!!! Please, take a stadium's worth of seats!

Yes, I stopped buying the hair magazines because of this and as for the hair section in Ebony or Essence I used to skip right over it for this very reason.

the truth is, blacks and whites are not on the same level playing field yet. If we were, this little interview wouldn't be an issue. Now black women want to gather in a positive way, and celebrate the uniqueness of our hair, and comfort and encourage one another in this hair struggle, and white folks want to muscle in on our turf. How is that fair?

God willing, in the near future we'll have women with type 4 hair fronting campaigns. Hey, we've already got Lupita doing Lancome, so it's coming.

Wow! I didn't know that. Good for her!

:clap::clap:

Starbucks

For those who keep saying you should let "others" in...I think they are already here. You can be the judge of it has helped you or not. Out of curiosity I did a quick search and found:

Have you tried browsing such sites as longhaircareforum.com or other sites for women with long hair? LHCF is more directed towards black and multi-racial women, but they're very helpful towards other ethnicities as well. My hair has really grown in their care.

There are others and some posts about an egg thread you guys have. So you have been the helpful Christian group already. There is nothing wrong with wanting something for yourself and making yourself a priority...for once.

Divine.

Her comments are exactly why she'll never be able to sit with us. She may say she can relate to us, but her backhanded comments show otherwise. I'm really offended she had the nerve to say that the natural hair movement isn't a movement at all. I should've never clicked on her Twitter page :nono:

Just a few years ago, the only natural hair I saw was strictly 3b/3c curly hair. And even then, many of the girls I knew did not accept their hair and would turn to flat irons. If your hair wasn't flat ironed, it was relaxed. WE, not them, made all NATURAL hair positive. WE created this community. She can say what she pleases, but downplaying our efforts to overcome adversity? Naw, son :nono:

cocosweet

I don't think I'm subscribed to her, but if I am (I'm about to check) I am unsubscribing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 12.26.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 12.26.19 PM.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 238

curlytwirly06

I am seriously disliking this ladies commentary." The natural hair movement has nothing to do with skin color, just coils and waves". « waterlily716 . I seriously can't with this right know.

theRaven

She cannot force her way in unless we let her. Any black blogger that does this, stop going to her site and reading her blog. If she loses readers enmass, she will never try it again and the rest would get the message. But, are people really going to do it?

ITA. I agree wholeheartedly. There was a few reasons why I never really latched on to Curly Nikki's site. Both Curly Nikki and Naturally Curly are great websites for information and education on curly hair, kinky hair, or just textured hair in general. However I consider LHCf and BGLH to be specifically GEARED and FOR Black woman. That is why personally I am very pro Black ownership.

THIS is why BLACK ownership is ssoooooo very important. Not even just Black ownership but Black supporters being informed and supportive. Sorta like how everyone is sooo over Esscence magazine. If I am am not mistaken edward Lewis sold Essence publication to Time INC back in 2005.

Is this not the same when Lisa Price became a minority in her own company. Now look at the direction Carol's Daughter went with advertsing of their products.

MystiqueBabe

Does this woman seem respectful to you?

I was just talking in general not necessarily for her sake, I didn't read the whole board and just briefly skimmed the article but I see now that she is causing a stir. In this case and after reading the article completely and thinking about it, no I don't agree of WW being part of the natural hair community, because they just can't really relate to it, nothing against them personally and plus it just looks out of place. They have sites like Naturally Curly and the like if they want to be part of the CURLY hair community but not the NATURAL hair community. But I don't have a problem with them getting advice, being curious to an extent, or using and sharing natural/black hair products because I am sure that they already do and it's not in my power to stop them from doing so. And I know I love Garnier conditioners, even got my brother using them too lol, and Garnier isn't "meant" for us either, so me stopping them from doing that isn't really fair.

Girl. If she didn't post a pic of her "hair" I would say she was one of them white ppl lurking and causing trouble on this board.

Hey, not my fault if I am not the best picture taker in the world, either my arms are too short, my head is too big, or both. But it's grown a lot since then so an update is long overdue.

prettybyrd

So turns out this chic did it to stir up some controversy? :nono:

And as far as we know, Curly Nikki conspired with her for clicks. :nono:

I know how I can get, so I steer clear of threads like this, but the fact that she did this to stir up controversy says that she does not respect US and any black person who continues to side with her now, after that admission, gets a serious side eye from me.

SoSwanky

Perfectly Posh...
@Slimpicknz

:look:You ain't neva lied, chile. How are you and your beautiful hurr, cuteness? You got plans for the 4th?

Our ppl are so twisted by white supremacy we jump through hoops and hurdles to appease white folks and tell them all our bidness including stuff meant to be solely "kitchen talk". White folks have their own errthang as do Jews, Hispanics, Asians, etc. When Black Americans want to do this our own people as well as white folks guilt us into thinking we are racist and should be be all Kumbaya even though white continue to put their feet on on necks:nono: A white girls struggle will never be mine, even in regards to hair. White gal type 2 & 3 hair doesn't typically look or behave like ours. I don't care about their issues cause they run this world and terrorize everyone they can in the process of getting what they want or even if they don't agree they sit in silence and allow it to happen. There is no white supremacy without white women, period.This situation is unique cause Nikki opted to sell to a white company and I'm not sure if she gave up all creative control and input. I hate when whites diminish our struggle. She shouldn't be allowed on there. She like other whites can read a plethora of books on the cultural/political context of our hair issues like Hair Story. Of course they wouldn't cause it would be a bitter pill to swallow in regards to the post traumatic slave syndrome and inter-generational trauma they have caused.

I am late to the party, but...

Tis all.

Last edited:

frizzy

This blankety blank is trying to redefine our natural hair movement and make it something completely different than it IS...that we can't claim. How would we ever agree to let this happen now that she's been exposed? No you can't join us because you don't belong in this.

She probably got more clicks and attention than she thought she would get and should not get to parlay that into anything more than being labeled as the trouble making troll that she is.