How long does it take you to detangle?

MAMATO

It takes me about 10 minutes, I am 10 weeks post with about 1 1/2" of new growth. I fingercomb and pre-poo with oils and condish before washing, I think that really helps.

msa

My hair is kinky coily (4ab), NL-APL. It takes me 10 minutes to detangle in the shower with conditioner. Then I detangle out of the shower as I'm braiding my hair up just to be sure. That takes me about 2-3 mins per section. When I keep my hair detangled by braiding it up it's always easy (and quick) to detangle once I let it all out.

SUPER SWEET

I think i'm a 4a and it takes me less than 5 mins. I use White rain coconut conditioner:up: on dry hair and my shower comb just slides through.

fyb87

It takes me approximately 5 minutes to detangle. I do it in the shower with conditioner in it for ease of the process. When I had a relaxer I did the same process and it took me same amount of time.

Qualitee

I starting to feel like im doing something wrong:look: Why does it take me so long?:(
I put elucence con let it sit for 10-15(even more if Im lazy):look: part my hair in 8-10 sections and detangle for 30+ mins

msa

I starting to feel like im doing something wrong:look: Why does it take me so long?:(
I put elucence con let it sit for 10-15(even more if Im lazy):look: part my hair in 8-10 sections and detangle for 30+ mins

Well your hair is definitely longer than mine so that could be it. Are you letting your hair get tangly in your hairstyles? Or is it a product that's causing the problem? I know any shampoo at all makes my hair shrivel up and tangle. And wearing wash n go's does the same thing, I have to keep my hair stretched to avoid long detangling sessions.

Qualitee

Well your hair is definitely longer than mine so that could be it. Are you letting your hair get tangly in your hairstyles? Or is it a product that's causing the problem? I know any shampoo at all makes my hair shrivel up and tangle. And wearing wash n go's does the same thing, I have to keep my hair stretched to avoid long detangling sessions.
Nope I never let my hair tangle in my hair styles:nono:. The product that I use (Elucence) detangles very well. But it seems like the back takes forever. I have to part my hair in 6 different sections in the back.

msa

Nope I never let my hair tangle in my hair styles:nono:. The product that I use (Elucence) detangles very well. But it seems like the back takes forever. I have to part my hair in 6 different sections in the back.

Hmmm.

I don't know what would cut down on your detangling time. Getting all the shed hair out and being gentle is important and it takes time. That may just be your cross to bear.

La Colocha

Im a 4a coily natural, it takes me about 10 minutes, i almost always keep my hair in the same 8 plaits and this helps keep my hair detangled. I wash, dc, cowash in the same 8 plaits. When i want to wear my hair out, before i go to sleep i always plait my hair back up. I am about neck length with the back slowly creeping to shoulder. Hth

I take about 20 minutes to detangle. your hair is much longer than mine and thicker probably. I shed excessivly so I have to take my time. I usually make 8 sections and detangle from back to front.

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I washed my hair today and I think it took around 15 mins to detangle (with my fingers).
It's a hassle, but it has to be done...

LongiLox

While I was still learning to take care of my hair, my hair would tangle badly when I had a lot of new growth. It might take me several hours or even a couple of days, if I get tired, to detangle my hair. Now when I have a lot of new growth, before I wash, I make sure to comb out excess hair, coat my new growth with olive or coconut oil, then I braid into four sections and wash like that. I also try to detangle in the shower. Now it usually takes me no more than 10 minutes to detangle and that includes the time it takes to add my leave-in and moisturizer.

Detangling can take me anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. :wallbash: I normally do it outside the shower after I wash and condition. I think its because my hair is just prone to tangles and I have a bunch of textures in my hair right now (natural, texlaxed, and relaxed textures). My last wash I decided to detangle beforehand (on dry hair with a detangler) and put in 5 braids. I washed and conditioned in those braids and it was so much easier. It took maybe half the time and after I washed and conditioned I took the braids down and ran the comb through it and rebraided (took about 5-10 minutes). :yep:

MizzBrown

If it takes longer than 5 minutes, we have a problem..Hair shouldnt be that hard to deal with it. No matter what the texture, IMO.

The longer it gets, i understand i need to add some more time, but i'll be damned if i spend more than 20 minutes combing my hair. It'll just get cut if its that bad.

I pay close attention to my conditioners and leave-ins and if it takes longer than 5-10 minutes then its not going back on my head.

LongCurlz

I am 11 months post, it takes me 30 minutes to detangle becuase I detangle in very small sections and I am very careful with getting every knot out. Its annoying but I deal with it, I;m definantly not going to rush through my hair while detangling

First I detangle with my fingers, then I lightly comb through every section with loads of conditioner

Last edited:

Butterfly08

If it's a quick detangle with a wide tooth comb, then 10 minutes or so. But to thoroughly comb my hair in order to rollerset my hair can take an hour, especially now when I am 11 weeks post. My hair is VERY tangly. :ohwell: I am 4a relaxed with thick BSL hair.

mezzogirl

I'm really enjoying this thread. It takes me less than five minutes to detangle. I do it in the shower after rinsing out my conditioner.