How often do you moisturize your hair?

How often do you moisturize your hair to prevent dryness?

• Once a week

Votes: 26 4.7%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 54 9.7%
  • Once a day

Votes: 263 47.1%
  • 2 or more times a day

Votes: 194 34.8%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 21 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solitude

Wow...I only moisturize occasionally, maybe twice a week w/ ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer (don't really like it, but I need to use it up).
If I am wearing my hair down, I apply Elasa QP to my ends when I need it.
If I am wearing my hair up, I use Hawaiian Silky for my nape.

As long as I am DC'ing properly, my hair doesn't get dry.

SCarolinaGirl

I moisturize twice a day (morning and night) . I use either HE LTR and EVOO/EVCO or my mix of Lustrasilk shea butter and EVOO. I also spritz with my rosewater and aloe vera juice mix.

topsyturvy86

I m0isturize every night bef0r g0ing t0 bed with pr0tectiv break-free. Its the lightest m0isturizer I cld find. My hair get's limp with heavy m0isturizers.

LushLox

Right now my hair is only 1 week post relaxer, so I need to use something light, so I use NTM silk in the evenings. As I start to get further post relaxer than I'll move on to my heavier moisturizer; ORS Moisturizer. It does depend on how I wear my hair though. If I'm wearing curls then I need to stick to a light cream.

darlingdiva

I'm natural & I moisturize 2-3 times a week w/ Jane Carter Hair Nourishing Cream. I know that it's important to moisturize your hair as a natural, but I'm finding that the "less is more" routine is really working for me.

Last edited:

Nonie

Uhmm... :hide: if by moisturizing you mean applying a leave in, then when in braids or twists I don't moisturize. I just hate the feel of products on my scalp or hair if it will touch my face, neck or ears. I also hate the thought of leaving product marks on anything I lean on. I love the feeling of moisturized hair but without products.

I keep my hair moisturized by CW-ing, DC-ing and baggying. I plan on wearing my hair out this week so I usually have to use some type of leave-in otherwise I can't comb my hair, and I'm not crazy about any of the styles that don't require combing on myself. So for out of braids/twists days, if wearing an afro, I use S Curl. I'm not sure yet what I'll use if I flat iron my hair. Maybe coconut oil. That decision is still in the works.

HoneyDew

I put in a little bit of moisture and oil on my hair every night before I go to bed.

I never have to put in more.

mahogany_horizons

I only do it every two, sometimes every 3 days. too much product builds on my hair and sometimes leads to breakage. I am a poo and lather once kinda girl.

M.

JJamiah

I moisturize when I co-wash or Shampoo only. So that would be twice a week. My hair is pretty fine without the extra moisture. It isn't dry, Thank goodness.

La Colocha

Lately once a day. I wet my hair in the shower in the am and then wear a baggy with no product. When im ready to go to work i moisturize and go. This seems to be working for me the best right now.

locabouthair

At least once a day.

I have chronic dry hair. Isk even know what to do about it anymore. It could be my diet. I Dc every week and that doesnt help either.

LushLox

I think a useful extension to the original question is how do people actually moisturize their hair. Do you just take a small amount of moisturizer and try and distribute it evenly through your hair, or do you part the hair and moisturize section by section.

At the moment I can only put a small amount in my hand, rub my palms together and run it through my hair.

SherylsTresses

Retouched - Twice a week

Post relaxer - Once every other day

Moisturizer - KeraCare headress sealed with jojoba oil; NTM silk touch sealed with castor oil

Last edited:

Stella B.

I moisturize daily with Hairever II: Hair & Scalp Tonic and Dr Bronner's Magic Hair Creme

Hmmm, I saw the Hairever II at Whole Foods. I was tempted to buy it, but didn't know if anyone had used it before. Do you like it? How do you use yours? Do you mix it with anything? Spray it on? How often? Would love to try it!! Thanks for any feedback GirlTalk!

taz007

I think a useful extension to the original question is how do people actually moisturize their hair. Do you just take a small amount of moisturizer and try and distribute it evenly through your hair, or do you part the hair and moisturize section by section.

At the moment I can only put a small amount in my hand, rub my palms together and run it through my hair.

You are right on. I MUST moisturize my hair section by section or else ...

HoneyDew

You are right on. I MUST moisturize my hair section by section or else ...

Same here. I section my hair and apply a tiny bit to each section but then rub a few drops of oil in my hands and put it all over at once.

Like, taz, I have to do it in sections or else. I tried the other way and was like :look: when I took the scarf off in the morning.

GoldenBreeze

I moisturize daily. Usually I use a leave-in or diluted rinse out cond., and seal with a butter. I do this at night, and then put about five braids in my hair. In the morning I take out the braids and put my hair in a bun or something else.

LaLaa

As of right now i do it once per day. But starting tomorrow i will do it 2x per day. I need a little more moisture

skatergurljubulee

Right now I only moisturie once a week. My hair does need extra moisture, but I haven't found any that doesn't weigh my hair down. Can anyone suggest a lightweight moisturizer ?

Have you tried Nuetrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In? It's extremely light and a pinkey nail sized amount is enough for my hair (and I have medium-thick shoulder length hair). When I first bought it I used a lot of it but it still didn't weigh my hair down.
HTH

sunnieb

Twice a day. I'm still new at this, but I know that my hair needs this much moisture. I also bun everyday and that helps to retain more moisture.

hypek

it really depends on my style. if my hair is in a bun, then i moisturize my edges, nape, and ends twice a day. if its down and straight then i moisturize at night with a silk serum and in the morning i use ORS olivie oil sheen spray. with my knotout, i need much more moisture. i moisturize each section that i knot with conditioner, NTM leave in, and seal with palm oil and then use ORS in the mornings.