I did my own QOD Brazilian Keratin Treatment *PICS*

Your Cheeziness

Earlier this month, I got a Keratin Complex Treatment done at Ulta. It didn't last me more than 3 weeks and I used the right products to maintain it. I only washed my hair every 5 days with non-sulfate, non-sodium chloride products, but it still didn't last. The first 10 days were lovely though. :ohwell:

Anywho, at the advice and fascination with DontSpeakDefeats BKT results, I decided to do my own using the QOD brand. I got it off of ebay.

It smells like chocolate, not strong and chemically at all. I felt a little warmth around my eyes when I started to blowdry the treatment, but it quickly went away. I did use gloves, no mask. I'm not sensitive to smells or anything like that. My dog was in the room as well and had no issues. She just didn't like my blow dryer. :nono:

I am 6 weeks post and attempting either a long stretch or transitioning - haven't decided yet.

Anywho, I posted a video of my process step by step on Youtube @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewAPw3AbLuo

And you can see more pics at my Fotki.:look::look:

I'm very pleased with the results although I used a tad bit too much product. My hair is stronger, soft, and resilient. I plan on doing these treatments every 3 months or so. I'll be using Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and Aubrey Organics White Camelia conditioner to maintain the treatment.

Thx!:yep:

P.S. - Yes, I've had my hair cut into layers since the "after" pic in my siggy.

Last edited:

Love Always

Your hair turned out great and I hope this treatment last longer for you. It's funny that you mention your first treatment didn't last long, I felt like my treatment wore off in a month and I got Global :(.

Your Cheeziness

Your hair turned out great and I hope this treatment last longer for you. It's funny that you mention your first treatment didn't last long, I felt like my treatment wore off in a month and I got Global :(.

I wonder how similar those are in formulation. But yeah I spent $185 + tip at Ulta to get it done only for it to not last. I had to keep my PJ at bay, too, because alot of my products in my stash I couldn't use. :nono:

mimi0410

I got QOD Max and got it from keratin4you. They have a website @ keratin4you.com, but it's cheaper to buy from them on ebay.
LOL so you know I WENT straight to Ebay when you said you purchased there and guess what seller I zeroed in on!! :lachen:
Thanks chica! You got me trying to get someone to apply this for me :yep:

LiqueXX

Your hair looks good.

I have been debating on whether to do this or not. Did it help with new growth?

Your Cheeziness

Your hair looks good.

I have been debating on whether to do this or not. Did it help with new growth?

Thanks! Yes, the keratin treatments basically make managing new growth, or completely natural hair, easier. I thinks it's a great option for transitioners/stretchers because it helps ease the stress of the demarcation line by infusing protein into the hair.

Barbie83

Thanks! Yes, the keratin treatments basically make managing new growth, or completely natural hair, easier. I thinks it's a great option for transitioners/stretchers because it helps ease the stress of the demarcation line by infusing protein into the hair.

argh! This is what I was afraid of! I'm running out of excuses to keep relaxing.....:sekret:

Jazala

Just wondering if it is really necessary to do 7 to 10 passes with the flat iron at 450 degrees? I think my hair would melt! :perplexed

Minty

Read my post on using keratin/heat requirements in the keratin support thread. I can't link - riding the bus.

Aggie

You did an awesome job YC. I'm a little scared to try this method myself because of the heat involved. You did great however.

cutenss

Your hair looks beautiful. I :love4: BKT hair. My next one will be in July, right before my birthday. :woot:

Last edited:

cdawnlewis

What exactly is the BKT? I know what it does, but does it change your curly texture permanently? Is it like getting your hair texlaxed? I don't want any chemicals in my hair :(

Diamond75

Your hair came out beautiful!

I had the Coppola Complex treatment and it didn't last long for me either. I thought it was because my hair was natural. I had that treatment done at a salon. I applied Marcia Teixeira about 5 weeks ago and will be trying QOD Gold in the coming weeks.

Thank you for posting.

Your Cheeziness

Just wondering if it is really necessary to do 7 to 10 passes with the flat iron at 450 degrees? I think my hair would melt! :perplexed

Yes, it's necessary to use that many passes at that temperature according to all of the instruction and research I did. It also depends on the quality of the flat iron whether you'd get damage. I didn't and this is my second treatment. I used a Croc 2 Infrared (loved it!). You have to "bake" and "seal" the treatment into your hair. This is more involved than a simple Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor. My hair didn't melt at all because the treatment has its own protection. There was no issues! :yep:

What exactly is the BKT? I know what it does, but does it change your curly texture permanently? Is it like getting your hair texlaxed? I don't want any chemicals in my hair :(

Nope, it's not permanent, which is great! It lasts depending on the upkeep such as using the proper products and what not. So its effects wash off over the 3-5 month period. I'm pretty much using it as a means for better manageability during this long stretch/transition I have planned.

Ooooh, YC - You got blessed by BKT royalty (BKT Queen Cutenss)! If she co-signed on your work, your BKT was definitely on point!

I KNOW! Thanks ladies!

Thanks for the video and I am going to get that comb, Jilbere Vented Straightening/Cutting Comb from Sally's.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/deman...te/default/Search-Show?q=combs&start=48&sz=12

When I went to Sally's, they didn't have that particular one. It was another brand that I can't remember. But it worked great and was the same type of comb anyway. So just in case yours doesn't have a Jibere, they carry another brand in the comb section.

Your hair came out beautiful!

I had the Coppola Complex treatment and it didn't last long for me either. I thought it was because my hair was natural. I had that treatment done at a salon. I applied Marcia Teixeira about 5 weeks ago and will be trying QOD Gold in the coming weeks.

Thank you for posting.

How'd you like the Marcia Teixeira?