I Had Such An Experience on Saturday...

Nice & Wavy

...at a Dominican salon..I just have to share!

I had a party to go to on Saturday and I was going to do my own hair. I knew that I wouldn't have time, so I decided to get it done. I live to far from my regular person that I go too (closer to work) so I decided that I would just find a salon in my area. I prayed first and asked God to send me to the right place, cause some of these people.....well, you know.

He did that and more!

So, as I was driving, I saw a salon on the left, but I had passed it and then saw another one on the right. I decided that I would go to the one on the right. Went in, told the woman what I wanted and I took a seat. All the while as I was sitting waiting, I kept feeling the urge to go to the first one I saw. I hesitated for about 15 minutes. Then, I got up went to the door..stood there for a minute and then went to my car. I took off and went to the first one. Well...I'm so glad that I did.

It was a small place with only 4 chairs and 3 dryers. At first I was like...ummmm:blush: I don't want to be in here all day. But, I stayed and told the woman what I wanted. They took me right away and began to shampoo my hair.

The first thing I noticed was that all their products were excellent products. The shampoo they used where Phyto Organics. Then they gave me a treatment, Sebastians. The girl was very gentle with my hair and didn't tug and pull like some others can do. Sat under the dryer for 15 min and then she rinsed my hair.

When I sat in the chair to be rollerset, the owner said to me "mommy, your hair is dry because you are natural...natural hair is automatically dry because the curl is tight. I'm going to put a special cream in your hair that will make it moist and not dry, ok?" I asked her what was the special cream, but she said "no worry, mommy...it's good." Ya'll know they like to keep secrets....:lachen:but, I said ok.

She put it in and then rollerset me. After I came out of the dryer and she took out my rollers...my curls fell so sweet. Geez, my curls never fell like that and looked so plush. I wish I had my camera ya'll....:lachen:

Then, she pulled out a bottle, about 12ozs and tried to hide it, but my LHCF eagle eyes saw it....it was Morrocan Oil! That's that oil that's pretty expensive and she put some in her hands and massaged it throughout my hair. It was very light, did not weigh my hair down at all.

She began to blow out my hair, but she did it with a really luke warm temp....she blew it up and out, not down like most salons. Never once did my scalp burn or did I see smoke coming from my hair. I was wondering...what in the world is she doing to my hair..I need heat, that's whats going to make my hair straight. But, chile let me tell you something....after she finished my hair, it was the bounceiest, moistiest, lushist, silkiest, shiniest hair I ever saw. (I know those aren't the right way to spell those words, but I just spelled it how I felt it looked:lachen:) She asked me "how do you like it" and I told her I didn't like it....I LOVED IT!!! She hooked me up, ya'll!

I shed a tear...it was that beautiful!:lachen:

She asked me if she could spray a little hair spray in my hair and that it won't make my hair hard or sticky...I said yes, go right ahead. She was right...it was fantastic! My hair stayed that way all night long and I was so happy it didn't frizz up. DH loved it and I got so many compliments that night....I did look good:grin:, clothes and all!

I left that salon feeling like a million bucks! It's Monday morning and I haven't put any moisturizer, oil or anything in my hair and my hair is moist, bouncy and flowing. I'm impressed and very happy to say the least!

Ya'll know what my hair looks like already, so I didn't take a pic. What I'm most happy about is that she told me that my ends were incredible. I haven't trimmed in a few months, so I'm doing something right!

Well...I guess she is my new stylist....I love my other girl, and although she is great, my hair has never been this wonderful! Oh, and the new girl told me that her salon wants people to grow their hair long, healthy and strong. I could see that with all the products they used and the other women that came in there. Everyone had beautiful hair. They had Kuz, AG, Phyto Organics, etc. My eyes were darting back and forth trying to remember all the products they used there....:grin:

I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to share because there are great Dominican Salons out there....I'm just so happy that I found one!

Blessings!

crlsweetie912

GREAT Post NW!
It's so nice when you find someone that does you hair well.
(you know we like pics round these here parts!)

GodsGrace

See NW, how you gon roll up in here with words like "bounceiest, moistiest, lushist, silkiest, shiniest" and not have pics. You know you wrong for that, it doesn't matter that we know what your hair looks like already, you know us's:lachen:

But seriously, just reading your post make me want to go find a Dominican salon too, though I don't think there are any here. I'm glad she took good care of your hair too. Next time Ms. Million Bucks, please take a pic with your camera phone or somethin!

P.S. How did the Moroccan oil smell?

rabs77

Wow, great post! It would have been better with pictures:grin: I would love to experience a good dominican salon, I've never been to one. The pictures in your siggy are so pretty by the way. So what do you do to your ends? I feel like I have to trim more often lately cos my ends keep splitting. TIA

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Nice and Wavy I am going to have to beat you like you stole something :lachen: How you gon' say that you didn't take a pic because we know what your hair looks like???? We want to drooool over it :drool: I'll bet it was amazing! I'm so glad you found such a great place to go :yep:

Lynnerie

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading this post and glad you had a great experience!

Your hair is beautiful, how is your transition going by the way?

Nice & Wavy

GREAT Post NW!
It's so nice when you find someone that does you hair well.
(you know we like pics round these here parts!)
Thanks, sweetie! I know, I know....hehe

See NW, how you gon roll up in here with words like "bounceiest, moistiest, lushist, silkiest, shiniest" and not have pics. You know you wrong for that, it doesn't matter that we know what your hair looks like already, you know us's:lachen:

But seriously, just reading your post make me want to go find a Dominican salon too, though I don't think there are any here. I'm glad she took good care of your hair too. Next time Ms. Million Bucks, please take a pic with your camera phone or somethin!

P.S. How did the Moroccan oil smell?
:lachen::lachen::lachen:...sawry!

I will take a pic next time! The Moroccan Oil smelled light...can't put my finger on the smell though. Next time, I will be more aware!

Wow, great post! It would have been better with pictures:grin: I would love to experience a good dominican salon, I've never been to one. The pictures in your siggy are so pretty by the way. So what do you do to your ends? I feel like I have to trim more often lately cos my ends keep splitting. TIA
Thanks, rabs! I'm sorry about pics...I should have taken some...next time. Thank you for the compliment about my siggy pics!

On my ends I keep Elasta QP Mango Butter and Olive Oil..that's it. It works!

You make me want to go out and get my hair done. Your experience sounds like a commercial.
:grin:...really? That's too cute! Thanks.

Nice and Wavy I am going to have to beat you like you stole something :lachen: How you gon' say that you didn't take a pic because we know what your hair looks like???? We want to drooool over it :drool: I'll bet it was amazing! I'm so glad you found such a great place to go :yep:
:lachen::lachen:...uh-oh, I'm in trouble now.:lachen: It was sooooooo pretty...I couldn't believe it. Ok...I promise, next time I go I will have her take the pics, ok?

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading this post and glad you had a great experience!

Your hair is beautiful, how is your transition going by the way?
Thanks so much for the compliment. I am completely, 100% natural since August 2006.

Dayum girl! That sounded like a dream or a fantasy. I want to go there! I'm dying to straigthen my hair.
:lachen:...girl, I'm telling you....that's how I felt when I left there, like it was a dream...couldn't believe it myself!

BostonMaria

OMG you have to go back in there and demand that she tell you what cream she put in your hair to make it so moisturized! LOL My hair seems dry lately. Wow what a great experience. What city is that? NY? I hope you at least take one picture with a camera phone because now I'm dying to see the end result.

Oh and BTW, some Dominican salons like to make their own concoctions to set them apart from the rest. So they won't tell you what their secret ingredient is. Sometimes they give it a crazy name LOL

Nice & Wavy

OMG you have to go back in there and demand that she tell you what cream she put in your hair to make it so moisturized! LOL My hair seems dry lately. Wow what a great experience. What city is that? NY? I hope you at least take one picture with a camera phone because now I'm dying to see the end result.

Oh and BTW, some Dominican salons like to make their own concoctions to set them apart from the rest. So they won't tell you what their secret ingredient is. Sometimes they give it a crazy name LOL

:lachen::lachen::lachen:....you got me laughing loud girl!

I'm going to have to find out...and get back to ya'll...I won't let my sisters down, I'm going to find out what it is. She had it in her cart with the rollers and it was turned around so I couldn't see it..but, I will...I will.

Yes, it's NY. I'll have to take a pic when I go again...I promise!

BostonMaria

I just recently "dumped" my stylist because she's been scheming :grin: One day she'll charge you $25, another day she'll say $45 for the same service. I live in Mass where a Dominican salon is as normal as seeing a McDonald's LOL so I just need to pick one. I am just really hoping for one with the qualities you mentioned: they specialize in healthy hair, know how to treat natural hair, and use good products without breaking the bank

BTW how much did you end up spending?

cocoaluv

I just recently "dumped" my stylist because she's been scheming :grin: One day she'll charge you $25, another day she'll say $45 for the same service. I live in Mass where a Dominican salon is as normal as seeing a McDonald's LOL so I just need to pick one. I am just really hoping for one with the qualities you mentioned: they specialize in healthy hair, know how to treat natural hair, and use good products without breaking the bank

Oh NO!!! I'd just have to walk out because there are so many others out there to choose from.

Nice & Wavy

I know that's right. I spent...................$27.00

Eclass215

First of all - I am in love with your bun!!!! I kept meaning to tell you that.

Ok - secondly great post! I want to find a good dominican salon, but I'm afraid they won't want to do my hair :cry3: I went to one several years ago when I first went natural and they turned me away! She said "Oh no - the lady who can do THAT isn't here today." I was a little hurt but I understood - I'd rather be turned away then have them destroy my hair.

Nice & Wavy

Thats not bad at all especially since they are using quality products. I have been to some that charge 25 dollars and use shampoo that smells/looks like dishwashing soap :spinning:

It's not and from Monday - Wednesday it's $17 special:yep:

I know...alot of places use that watered down crap and have to wash your hair like 4 times just to get it clean...:nono:

BostonMaria

I know that's right. I spent...................$27.00

WHAT?!!! All that AND morocan oil? How awesome is that! I'll have to add "good salon" to my list of prayers LOL

Oh NO!!! I'd just have to walk out because there are so many others out there to choose from.

Exactly! Mind you not only did I stop going, but so did my sister (who also is a member here), my daughter and my niece. She tried to charge my daughter $45 for a Dominican blow out and my daughter even brought her own deep conditioner! My daughter isn't as nice as me LOL and she refused to pay that much.

Nice & Wavy

First of all - I am in love with your bun!!!! I kept meaning to tell you that.

Ok - secondly great post! I want to find a good dominican salon, but I'm afraid they won't want to do my hair :cry3: I went to one several years ago when I first went natural and they turned me away! She said "Oh no - the lady who can do THAT isn't here today." I was a little hurt but I understood - I'd rather be turned away then have them destroy my hair.

Awwww...thank you for the compliment!

Thanks. I hope you find one too. There are so many out there, but not all do what they should, so...I am happy!

naijamade79

I would also like to know where in NY and the name of the salon I don't go to Dominican salons because some of them don't take the time needed to do our hair right.

Nice & Wavy

WHAT?!!! All that AND morocan oil? How awesome is that! I'll have to add "good salon" to my list of prayers LOL

Exactly! Mind you not only did I stop going, but so did my sister (who also is a member here), my daughter and my niece. She tried to charge my daughter $45 for a Dominican blow out and my daughter even brought her own deep conditioner! My daughter isn't as nice as me LOL and she refused to pay that much.

Yep....I couldn't believe it either. I was ready to pay whatever at that point and when she said $27..I said "come again?":lachen: