Is My Hair BSL?

Aireen

Thanks for your honest opinions ladies. I will claim bottom of shoulder blade length for right now. I hope I reach BSL/MBL soon, either by the end of December or sometime next year. April 2011 was the last time I cut my hair. And right now, I haven't used a flat-iron since September. I hope I retain all my growth from now on.

Forget BSL. BSB is your current marker. MBL is your next target.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
growinghealthyhair BSB=Below Shoulder Blade--which for some corresponds directly to BSL, but for people like me--because I am a member of the IBTC :lol: :lol: :lol:--who wear their bras low-- it does not correspond...

I personally love these threads.

I get to see someone's progress, and cheer them on if they're on target.....and if they're delusional or have their bras up to their nape I get a good giggle.:grin:

:lol: @ wearing their bras up to their nape!!! I certainly did not hike my bra up in this picture. I wear 34DD and this bra has a thick brastrap to support my breasts. :naughtycouch:

I do have some bras that sit lower on my back than others. I should take another hair length check picture wearing one of them.

Poohbear

Nonie - thanks for your explanation. Makes perfect sense to use your shoulder blades, mid-back, waist, etc. as a marker for hair length rather than your brastrap, especially since each bra is made differently and can sit at different places on your back. ;)

Last edited:

Whimsy

I do have some bras that sit lower on my back than others. I should take another hair length check picture wearing one of them.

Honestly I think the whole BSL thing is a crock, considering it's so different for everyone.

Go with BSB, you're CLEARLY BSB so claim it and feel goooooood!

Poohbear

Congrats poohbeah! You should be proud. How did you do it?

Thanks! How did I do it? Well, I kinda feel like my progress hasn't been all that great since doing my BC. However, my BC starting point was different than most. I started with less than 1/2 an inch of hair 6 years ago. Since then, I've had a few cuts and trims that have set me back. I'm hoping to really get over this APL/BSB length hump.

Poohbear

Forget BSL. BSB is your current marker. MBL is your next target.

Honestly I think the whole BSL thing is a crock, considering it's so different for everyone.

Go with BSB, you're CLEARLY BSB so claim it and feel goooooood!

Yeah, now I gotta get BSL out of my head. Even though I visit the forum alot, I've been out of the loop of things when it comes to using certain measures to determine hair length now. I almost just gave up on myself and figured I would be APL forever. But I'm hoping to grow and retain some more hair now. :)

DrC

Looks BSL to me. Its not like you claiming BSL with shoulder length hair :lachen:

GIJane

Using body parts as a gauge for length seems to be more consistent for each person. Because no matter where your bra strap lies, your shoulder blades will always be in the same position. So yes, you are Below Shoulder Blade and your next milestone will be MBL.

So I say claim BSB because you are indeed there!

I agree with Nonie. Move your bar to BSB/BSL. Grow poobear grow! Congratulations.

diadall

Great progress. I can't wait to get there. When I get APL and BSL I am going to crip walk all over my balcony!

hair4romheaven

You're BSB. I always wonder if we straighten will it be the same length as hair that has been stretched like you did in op.

LovelyNaps26

BSB. on the bra you're wearing, if the straps are adjusted just as they are in the pic, you'll be BSL when the hair touches the bottom of it. :yep:

Don't be like me. I got "fancy" at BSB (a year ago) and still haven't made MBL. :ohwell:keep doing whatever it is that got you to BSB and you'll be MBL before the summer :up:

Poohbear

Here's a picture with my black bra that sits lower on my back:

So BSB it is! :)

naturalmanenyc

No, not just for IBTC. I wear mine too low too because it's more comfortable and feels like I have more support (in addition to buying under wire bras).

growinghealthyhair BSB=Below Shoulder Blade--which for some corresponds directly to BSL, but for people like me--because I am a member of the IBTC :lol: :lol: :lol:--who wear their bras low-- it does not correspond...

BostonMaria

Not Quite Pooh Bear... but if you were to flat iron it completely straight maybe. I wouldn't flat iron just to do a length check, though!

I was about to say the same thing. You would need to at least straighten the back to see if you're BSL yet. When I stretch my curls I'm BSL. When I straighten it I'm past WL.

Sent from my fancy iPhone using LHCF

hair4romheaven

Poohbear

I was about to say the same thing. You would need to at least straighten the back to see if you're BSL yet. When I stretch my curls I'm BSL. When I straighten it I'm past WL.

BostonMaria - Wow! That's an amazing difference! In the pictures I posted, my hair was styled in a twistout which falls at my shoulders. If I let my natural hair be curly and shrink up, it would be around my chin/ears.

When I straighten my hair, I always bump the ends with a curl. So it will still look shorter than it's true length. I haven't mastered getting nice looking ends with stick straight her yet. I'm trying to lay off the flat-iron for now. I will try to straighten it sometime next year without bumping the ends.

nissi

congrats poohbear! you are definitely BSB! happy for you! :flowers: now on to MBL with the knowledge you've gained! :D also congrats for the perseverance!

Last edited:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict

That was me too. And since I've cut it, it still seems to hang the same length curly but I know it's shorter because my buns are itty bitty and there are are layers falling out all over the place.

bb09

Thanks! How did I do it? Well, I kinda feel like my progress hasn't been all that great since doing my BC. However, my BC starting point was different than most. I started with less than 1/2 an inch of hair 6 years ago. Since then, I've had a few cuts and trims that have set me back. I'm hoping to really get over this APL/BSB length hump.
Poohbear -I meant how did you get over the APL hump?

I've read posts of yours in the past with you saying heat was better for you (less SSK's), then flat ironing with grease may have been causing you to stay at the same length (hot plates + grease), and you didn't like certain protective styles but they might end up being useful or something :look:.. so to finally get to BSB really is something after being stuck. It just means you solved that problem :grin:. So yeah, how did you do it?

Last edited:

Poohbear

Poohbear -I meant how did you get over the APL hump?

I've read posts of yours in the past with you saying heat was better for you (less SSK's), then flat ironing with grease may have been causing you to stay at the same length (hot plates + grease), and you didn't like certain protective styles but they might end up being useful or something :look:.. so to finally get to BSB really is something after being stuck. It just means you solved that problem :grin:. So yeah, how did you do it?

bb09 - To be honest, I believe leaving the scissors alone is really what helped me get over my APL hump. I can also say adding Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Treatment after every wash has help reduce breakage significantly. It's kinda hard to say that I'm truly over the APL hump because I sometimes feel like I'm still APL even though I'm BSB. I think this feeling is due to the amount of shrinkage I have.

Since September, I've been laying off the flat iron and just been styling my hair after it's been blowdried. The reason for laying off the flat iron is to gain more thickness. I felt like the flat iron was somewhat thinning my hair.

I still can't get down with protective styles or keeping my hair in one style indefinitely. I still switch up my hair styles because I get bored so easily. My main style is the flat-twist-out or bantu-knot-out. I just avoid rough manipulation when styling so my hair won't break off. Hope that helps.