"Is that your real hair?"

DirtyJerzeyGirly

I never find it flattering, I find it annoying. The assumption behind the question is kind of offensive, but to each their own. My hair has never been long by LHCF standards, but it has always been thick and I have gotten that question before, even from white people. I had one white co-worker dip her hand into my (then relaxed) hair as she was asking and then proceed to say "Oh my God, it is so soft" :perplexed. I didn't find that flattering at all.

ETA: I had an older black lady ask me once in church, but my hair was natural and short. I was not offended by that because she asked in the nicest way possible. I guess it depends on who does the asking.

i find it annoying and offensive

That's never the reason, it's because you're black and you have nice hair. End of story. :yep:

It's not flattering to me. There is a white girl at my job who has really nice hair, even some of the other girls eye her and give her dirty looks. It's very thick and she has a lot of it. If you told me she had some sort of extensions in there, I would not be surprised at all. Has anyone asked her if her hair was real or raked their fingers through her scalp? Nope. I'm around my coworkers and the children I work with (I work at a school) enough to overhear comments and questions like these. As for me, I've been asked at least 10 times by the children while my coworkers lurch around trying to hear what the answer will be. I know my coworkers are wondering as well but none of them would be stupid enough to ask me. My hair is only a little past my shoulder. Trust me it's an insult. Well maybe more like a back handed compliment. You have nice hair, but you're black, so it can't be real.

And I agree w/ the person who said it's even more annoying when you are actually wearing fake hair.

I agree with you ladies. My personal opinion it's a backhanded compliment and it's under the assumption that black women can't grow long, healthy hair. Also most intentions are meant to be rude.

MsDes

Idk about flattering but I like to prove that black girls can grow their hair long.

When I hear people say that it's like they're saying if my hair is long then its gotta be a weave because black girls can't grow their hair long.

I only get flattered if you tell me my hair looks good. Lol.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using HTC Sensation 4G

Qurlyqt

I guess I don't find it offensive because when someone asks if its my hair, then goes on to say it looks like a wig, I interpret that to say, "Gee your hair is full, healthy, shiny and looks like something a lot of people have to purchase to achieve!"