It took 9 products to shampoo my hair..Seeking Regime ASAP!

kimster

Regime Needed. I'm not sure if having too many products makes it difficult to narrow the list to 3-4 products. But I mix 3 conditioners, 1 clarify shampoo, 1 moisturizing shampoo, 1 protein treatment, 1 leave-in conditioner, 1 heat protector and 1 smoothing product. Anyone else seeking a regime?

Last edited:

HoneyDew

In my opinion, I don't think your products are over the top. I don't see the need to mix conditioners unless you are trying to use them up or can't find the right combo in one.

When you say smoothing product, what is that? Your moisturizer? I don't see a moisturizer listed.

I have a very solid regimen that never changes.

I have my clarifying shampoo, moisturizing shampoo, deep conditioner (moisturizing), leave-in, heat protectant and a moisturizer.

I do have some special treatment products under the sink that I use from time to time, like a protein treatment and oils. Those are "as needed" things and not used all the time.

Oh, in my shower I also have a separate conditioner for slip. Sometimes when I rinse out my deep conditioner, my hair does not have the slip I like so I do a rinse with a proven conditioner for slip. I notice this phenomenon as I get closer to touchup time.

It may seem like a lot for some, but after much experimentation, I find that when one part of my haircare equation is removed, things don't go the way I want them to in styling and moisture retention between shampoos.

I think your product list is common. But, if you do prefer to narrow it down, your leave-in could double as a moisturizer/smoother. You could also find one good conditioner that you like without having to mix 3.

TrendySocialite

I think you're using too many products at one time (if that's indeed what you are doing), but you could use any combination of the products at any given time.

You shouldn't clarify every wash. I clarify before a chemical treatment (every 9 weeks).

I mix conditioners sometimes, but I mostly mix them with oils for extra moisture.

Be careful with the protein treatments too. Too much protein can cause breakage. I use protein every other wash or so. I use moisture every wash.

Perhaps you should research co-washing, that could eliminate the moisturizing shampoo but give you the moisture you need.

I have most of these products and use them in different situations, it depends on my needs at the time.

HTH

kimster

Thanks for the responses. I was forced to DIY, disappointment from stylists. Still seeking a system that works. My hair is dry and unruly. Looking for a moisturizer, use Phyto 7 sometimes. No oils which I know is a Big mistake, my ends look quite thirsty. Last relaxer 9 weeks ago and I use Phytodefrisant (relaxing balm) or Bb straight to smooth and tame roots. My hair doesn't get the slip over 5 weeks so I condition, condition and condition to soften.

Mortons

Are you natural or relaxed? is your hair dry or oily? Any special issues (breakage, split ends)?

HoneyDew

Thanks for the responses. I was forced to DIY, disappointment from stylists. Still seeking a system that works. My hair is dry and unruly. Looking for a moisturizer, use Phyto 7 sometimes. No oils which I know is a Big mistake, my ends look quite thirsty. Last relaxer 9 weeks ago and I use Phytodefrisant (relaxing balm) or Bb straight to smooth and tame roots. My hair doesn't get the slip over 5 weeks so I condition, condition and condition to soften.

If you ends are thirsty, oil is not the answer anyway. Well some oils can give you some moisture I hear, like coconut oil (does not work for me though) I hardly ever use oil on my hair and dryness is rarely a problem for me. Get your moisture from your leave-in and moisturizers, and of course conditioning.

kimster

My hair is relaxed with thinning edges but slowly improving. I will start routinely using leave-ins . Split ends from too much heat. Working toward a goal of healthy hair one day at a time.

Mortons

My hair is relaxed with thinning edges but slowly improving. I will start routinely using leave-ins . Split ends from too much heat. Working toward a goal of healthy hair one day at a time.

You can use a nice moisturizer for your ends and edges. Otherwise your products seem ok. You can probably use the smoothing conditioner to cowash instead of using it in the regular cycle. Make sure your deep conditioner is a good one. Definately moisturize your ends, I have the same trouble with splits, and moisture helps.