K18 Hair Treatment-Rebuild Keratin Bonds Permanently

faithVA

Did treatment 3 tonight. Shampooed, applied K18, sprayed hair with UFD leave-in and put in twist. I will do 1 or 2 more treatments before I color my hair next weekend.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Did treatment 3 tonight. Shampooed, applied K18, sprayed hair with UFD leave-in and put in twist. I will do 1 or 2 more treatments before I color my hair next weekend.
How is your hair feeling? Do you notice any differences in your hair? How does your hair look and feel?

faithVA

How is your hair feeling? Do you notice any differences in your hair? How does your hair look and feel?
I don't notice any differences yet but I'm also not styling my hair in a way to notice any difference. I was waiting to see if I noticed anything when I color my hair.

I don't think my hair is damaged enough to see a visual difference. What I'm hoping for is to counteract any damage due to color and to prevent/reduce breakage over time. I'm also hoping that my hair stays hydrated longer.

I will have a better assessment next weekend.

I

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I don't notice any differences yet but I'm also not styling my hair in a way to notice any difference. I was waiting to see if I noticed anything when I color my hair.

I don't think my hair is damaged enough to see a visual difference. What I'm hoping for is to counteract any damage due to color and to prevent/reduce breakage over time. I'm also hoping that my hair stays hydrated longer.

I will have a better assessment next weekend.

I
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

faithVA

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.
I did another K18 treatment last night. This has to be 5 or 6 but I have lost track. The site says to use it 6 times consecutively and then every 3 to 4 months.

Last night was the 1st time I noticed any difference in the way my hair acts. I still haven't styled it. I shampooed with an almost clarifying and then with a moisturizing shampoo. I first removed excess water with my hand and then patted it with the towel. This could have impacted the way the product worked but I don't think so. I use about 1 pump per section so 4 pumps. I put my hair in 4 bantu knots and after about an hour then put my hair in flat twists.

In previous applications after applying product my hair was dry, hard to part and hard to twist. This time I was able to apply the leave-in easily and twist it up. When I took the twist out this morning my hair felt more hydrated. It is softer and it is more stretched. And that is just with a leave-in.

Still need to color and style my hair this week. If it is more hydrated then my curly set should last longer.

faithVA

I still haven't colored my hair. Maybe today. I did my 6th K18 treatment yesterday. And it took 5to 6 treatments before I could tell the difference. The difference is in my moisture levels.

I detangled with conditioner first and then shampooed. I put my hair in bantu knots until I was ready to do the K18 treatment. Then I applied 1 pump of K18 to each of the four sections. I just clipped my hair until I was ready to do something with it. I put in some braids last night to help stretch my hair a bit. I was supposed to color it this morning :ohwell:

This morning I took out my braids put in a leave-in and then put my hair in a puff. My hair feels hydrated and soft with just that little bit of product in it.

Now, I'm ready to move to a once-a-month treatment to maintain it.

lindseyerinc

I still haven't colored my hair. Maybe today. I did my 6th K18 treatment yesterday. And it took 5to 6 treatments before I could tell the difference. The difference is in my moisture levels.

I detangled with conditioner first and then shampooed. I put my hair in bantu knots until I was ready to do the K18 treatment. Then I applied 1 pump of K18 to each of the four sections. I just clipped my hair until I was ready to do something with it. I put in some braids last night to help stretch my hair a bit. I was supposed to color it this morning :ohwell:

This morning I took out my braids put in a leave-in and then put my hair in a puff. My hair feels hydrated and soft with just that little bit of product in it.

Now, I'm ready to move to a once-a-month treatment to maintain it.
How did your hair react to the coloring post k18 treatments?

weavepat

Just finished week 4 of my k18 introductory phase. I started with the sample size after taking down a two month protective style.

I noticed immediate results and bought the full sized bottle. I used the mist prior to bleaching my hair during week 2 and followed with the leave in. I was nervous about not using conditioner post-bleach, but my hair has still recovered well.

Once this phase is complete, I plan on using the leave in once a month or so. I use 5ml every wash so a bottle can last 10 months. I also appreciate that if I'm pressed for time, I now have the option to just wash my hair and apply leave in without my hair suffering.

oyveh

I had a Japanese thermal years ago, I believe the Avalon treatment might be similar. If it is, you can not use a relaxer after that treatment, I wanted to make sure others were aware of that. The two are not compatible. Your hair will melt. As for the K18, I currently do have a relaxer and tried the K18. I used it when it first hit the market, there were no threads of others with relaxer to ask about their experience at that time. I used it twice and did not care for it. The olaplaex has been much better on my relaxed hair than the K18. Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

Theresamonet

Any updates on this product? Is it worth $75???

Also, I saw that you can apply this product on shampooed hair, let it sit for 4 minutes and then deep condition. Has anyone tried this method?

faithVA

Any updates on this product? Is it worth $75???

Also, I saw that you can apply this product on shampooed hair, let it sit for 4 minutes and then deep condition. Has anyone tried this method?
I color my hair so for me it is worth it. I ran out last summer and didn't replace it. I noticed how crispy my ends were getting so I replaced it in January. Plan to keep it in my regimen once a month.

I let it sit and then apply a leave in. If I deep condition on that day I do it before I shampoo.

But there shouldn't be any issue deep condition after. The product should have gone past the surface by the time you rinse the deep conditioner out.

Theresamonet

I color my hair so for me it is worth it. I ran out last summer and didn't replace it. I noticed how crispy my ends were getting so I replaced it in January. Plan to keep it in my regimen once a month.

I let it sit and then apply a leave in. If I deep condition on that day I do it before I shampoo.

But there shouldn't be any issue deep condition after. The product should have gone past the surface by the time you rinse the deep conditioner out.

Thanks! I’m relaxed, so I think that’s a good reason to try it out. I’ve seen a lot of people saying they love it, but not a lot of elaboration as to why… Im going to try it both with and without deep conditioning after the 4 minutes. I want to use it for the first 4-6 washes; I can’t imagine going that long without deep conditioner.

I was getting ready to use my Sephora Rouge voucher to get it, but I found the 5oz on sale at Target for $59 (sold and shipped by a target+ partner).

faithVA

Thanks! I’m relaxed, so I think that’s a good reason to try it out. I’ve seen a lot of people saying they love it, but not a lot of elaboration as to why… Im going to try it both with and without deep conditioning after the 4 minutes. I want to use it for the first 4-6 washes; I can’t imagine going that long without deep conditioner.

I was getting ready to use my Sephora Rouge voucher to get it, but I found the 5oz on sale at Target for $59 (sold and shipped by a target+ partner).

I didn't elaborate either on why I love it. My hair has always been more on they dry and brittle side and more so as I color. Overtime I experience a lot of breakage of my ends and I've never really retained well.

I did the first six with just the K18. It never dawned on me then to follow up with a leave-in. I didn't notice much of anything for the first 5 uses. But on the 6th use, it was like night and day. My hair smoothed out and became soft and I could tell that the leave-in was enough for my hair. After the 6th use my hair held more moisture, was softer, more manageable and I needed less product.

It will be interesting to see if you notice anything with being relaxed.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I’m super interested in the mask. I get hair botox every quarter. It’s quicker and more gentle than keratin, but with similar results. I’m concerned that this mask will cause reversion. Has anyone experienced their curls tightening with this product?

faithVA

I’m super interested in the mask. I get hair botox every quarter. It’s quicker and more gentle than keratin, but with similar results. I’m concerned that this mask will cause reversion. Has anyone experienced their curls tightening with this product?
Actually the opposite. My hair holds more water so my hair is smoother and stretches easier.

Lylddlebit

I tried this last night
  • Washed with clarifying shampoo(discontinued item)
  • Washed with moisturizing shampoo (discontinued item)
  • Put hair in 11 bantu knots and under a t-shirt material turban
  • Let dry for about an hour then applied 1-3 pumps per sections (More than half of my hair only needed one pump per section. The sections in the top were larger and the biggest section needed three pumps). I used 14-16 pumps total.
  • Applied K18 leave-in mask...comb through with detangle brush and twist back up to air dry
  • Slept on it
  • Untwist the next morning and proceed to applying heat protectant (Tresemme Heat Tamer)and blow dried my hair with the Dyson supersonic dryer.
  • Flat iron with FHI Runway on most sections. Tested the Tymo section on once section.

I planned to deep condition my hair this morning but this is an EXCELLENT leave-in and I didn't need to. My hair already felt like it was deep conditioned with one of my favorite deep conditioners then air dried with my favorite leave-in before applying anything more. Typically leave-ins don't work well enough to take place of an excellent deep conditioner and leave-in combo. This is a first for me. I hate that my hair loves expensive products but it is what it is. I bought two more bottles last night lol. I could already tell my hair loved it when I applied it. May get a few more bottles during the Sephora sale. My practice is to use bond treatments before and after pressing my hair. I am not sure if I will use this back to back 4-6 times or that my hair will progressively benefits from that starter suggestion, but I do like it. I could tell it helped my hair hold moisture like @faithVA described from the first use based on how well my hair air dried with nothing but that product applied. My first impression is I prefer this to Olaplex and BondSmith but time will tell it better than the first impression.

Last edited:

faithVA

I tried this last night
  • Washed with clarifying shampoo(discontinued item)
  • Washed with moisturizing shampoo (discontinued item)
  • Put hair in 11 bantu knots and under a t-shirt material turban
  • Let dry for about an hour then applied 1-3 pumps per sections (More than half of my hair only needed one pump per section. The sections in the top were larger and the biggest section needed three pumps). I used 14-16 pumps total.
  • Applied K18 leave-in mask...comb through with detangle brush and twist back up to air dry
  • Slept on it
  • Untwist the next morning and proceed to applying heat protectant (Tresemme Heat Tamer)and blow dried my hair with the Dyson supersonic dryer.
  • Flat iron with FHI Runway on most sections. Tested the Tymo section on once section.

I planned to deep condition my hair this morning but this is an EXCELLENT leave-in and I didn't need to. My hair already felt like it was deep conditioned with one of my favorite deep conditioners then air dried with my favorite leave-in before applying anything more. Typically leave-ins don't work well enough to take place of an excellent deep conditioner and leave-in combo. This is a first for me. I hate that my hair loves expensive products but it is what it is. I bought two more bottles last night lol. I could already tell my hair loved it when I applied it. May get a few more bottles during the Sephora sale. My practice is to use bond treatments before and after pressing my hair. I am not sure if I will use this back to back 4-6 times or that my hair will progressive benefits from using it back to back like that as a starter but I do like it. I could tell it helped my hair hold moisture like @faithVA described from the first use by how well my hair air dried with nothing but that product applied.
I'm glad you liked it. I highly suggest doing the back to back to get the benefits, because it is repairing. It will be far less expensive to do the back to back and then maintenance, then it will be to apply it randomly. When you apply it randomly you use far more than you would if you do the initial preparation and whatever repair you did the first time is now gone without the cumulative effects.

One bottle, depending on the length of your hair, should last you 6 months to a year. I would recommend doing the 1 to 3 pumps per section, waiting the 4 minutes and then applying a less-expensive leave-in for that conditioning effect.

I would use this as the repair product it is and then use a regular leave-in to make up the difference.

Of course just my opinion. Glad it worked out for you.

Lylddlebit

I'm glad you liked it. I highly suggest doing the back to back to get the benefits, because it is repairing. It will be far less expensive to do the back to back and then maintenance, then it will be to apply it randomly. When you apply it randomly you use far more than you would if you do the initial preparation and whatever repair you did the first time is now gone without the cumulative effects.

One bottle, depending on the length of your hair, should last you 6 months to a year. I would recommend doing the 1 to 3 pumps per section, waiting the 4 minutes and then applying a less-expensive leave-in for that conditioning effect.

I would use this as the repair product it is and then use a regular leave-in to make up the difference.

Of course just my opinion. Glad it worked out for you.
Even though I am hardheaded, I do believe you gave good advice that I will keep that in mind. Thank you for your insight.

faithVA

This is my 2nd consecutive wash day using K18. My hair is soft but breaking off. Is that normal?. Should I continue with 3&4? Or stop?? Thanks for the advice in advance.
It is not normal. Why do you think it is related to the K18?

What was the timeframe between your two uses?

How are you using the product?

How did you style your hair?
Are you color-treated? relaxed?

naturalyogini

Thank you for your response.
-5 days between uses.
-Using as directed.
-Not color treated or relaxed.
-after the 4 minutes. I use melaninhaircare leave-in and a sealer and twist my hair.

I'm noticing short hairs in the comb and on the bathroom floor.