Ladies in Foreign Lands - How Do You Do Your Hair? Relaxed, Natural, ??

Twix

Hey there. I'm wondering how LHCFers and women of color that you may know who live in foreign countries where Black haircare may not be as easily accessible maintain their hair, whether it be relaxed or natural. The reason that I ask this is that my SO and I are planning to move to Japan after we graduate from school, and I realized that I might not be able to head to the BSS down the street, so to speak! ;) The internet, of course, is a wonderful resource, but some first hand accounts would be great.

So, for you: do you keep your hair relaxed or natural? how do you maintain it? how do you obtain the products needed for maintenance?

As always, thanks in advance. :)

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Well I live in Guam. I do alot of Internet purchases and I order in bulk! Since my hubby is in the AirForce we have a Base Exchange and it carries some of the items mentioned here. I always get my Aussie Moist, Mane and Tail, Suave and VO5 there. But that is about it. Now I have never lived in Japan so I cant tell u what to expect. I can tell you to be prepared and stock up on some of your favorite items to ship with you when yoou move.
I have lived in Turkey and Germany pre-LHCF and got whatever and my hair suffered so keep that piece of info in the back of your mind when you start to prepare for your move.

Good Luck
SouthernStunner

quietstorm15

I am relaxed and living in Thailand. There is nice size African population here, which I'm sure there will be in Japan. However, the haircare practices are not good (i.e. combing through relaxers to the ends) and there is not a good supply of quality products. So you are safer planning to DIY. Sometimes I'll go to them for micro braids. Other than that, I do everything myself.

Currently, I use texas beauty supply (www.texasbeautysupply.com) to get my products. If you do use them, just be sure to include instructions that specify that they are to only put the price of the product on the package, not the full price of the order. Otherwise, you'll end up paying duties on both product and shipping. That will hurt after you see how much it is to ship this stuff overseas.

Oh yeah... I don't know if you use a lot of heat. But I would advise that you purchase dryers, flat irons, curling irons, etc. when you arrive in Japan. You could get converters if you want to use your equipment from home, BUT I've heard horror stories of hair being singed off due to wattage conversion miscalculations. It's just not worth the risk. The only mishap I've had to deal with is my hooded dryer frying out on me because the converter wasn't powerful enough. Now I have to use a hand held dryer for my roller sets.

Hope this helps and wish you all the best...
QS

Rei

Hey there. I'm wondering how LHCFers and women of color that you may know who live in foreign countries where Black haircare may not be as easily accessible maintain their hair, whether it be relaxed or natural. The reason that I ask this is that my SO and I are planning to move to Japan after we graduate from school, and I realized that I might not be able to head to the BSS down the street, so to speak! ;) The internet, of course, is a wonderful resource, but some first hand accounts would be great.

So, for you: do you keep your hair relaxed or natural? how do you maintain it? how do you obtain the products needed for maintenance?

My best friend moved to japan after we graduated from high school. She uses drugstore.com to buy her hair products, because you def won't find what you want at a beauty supply store. she also does not relax her hair any longer, she uses the thermal straightening system. as far as what I know from what she tells me, its expensive but easy to find in tokyo, and cheaper in the more inaka places (she was first in wakayama) but harder to find.

There are black people in Japan, but black women? Far and few in between.

Last edited:

shunemite

You can also stop any black woman you see on the street, compliment her on her hair and ask her who does it. It's a great way to find out who the good hair dressers are incase you need to get hair done for a special occasion or pampering.

imaccami

I lived in another country before I knew about LHCF. I used to come home for a few weeks every six months and I packed enough relaxer, shampoo, conditioner, and even things like food I liked to last for the next 6 months.

redecouvert

I just send products to my sister and mom who don't live in the US..I also pray that nothing will be stolen/ lost but they eventually get everything

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!

I live in Belgium and I've been natural for three years now. I deep condition on a regular basis and do braids or two strand twists as a protective style through the year. To obtain the products I need I shop online, I had an online US address via MyUs.com, I would order products online and have them shipped there (it's not cheap but it works).

ryanshope

I am in Germany and I am natural. I get my haircare products in the mail; so it hasn't been an issue as of yet. It has definitely curb by spending and gives me a chance to really use up a product---I have been using Rusk Deep Shine BioMarine conditioner for the past month and I swear it is the BEST leave in I have ever used. I am ordering 3 more bottles to carry me through June.

oooop2

I just moved back to the USA after living in Japan for almost 4yrs.

I lived in Kobe, and there was a Sally's in Osaka. However, I never bothered to visit. You will find that iHERB.com will become your BESTFRIEND b/c they have great shipping prices to Japan. I mostly got my products from there, as well as stocked up whenever I made the trek back to America. I'm also natural.

Japan is LOVELY and I miss it dearly. Enjoy your time over there once you move!!!

ceecy29

I'm natural and currently in Grenada for school.

I DIY and that's not because of my location; when I get back to the states, I'm sure I'll still DIY. I wear twists and twist-outs alot and I don't like anyone in my hair really.

I can find most of the products I need, like V05 conditions and cholesterol conditioners. All my other staples (castor oil, coconut oil, ayurvedic powders, acv, shea butter etc.) I bring with my when I'm coming to school at the beginning of the term.

Twix

Wow! I had forgotten about this thread in all the Thanksgiving prep. Thanks so much to everyone for all their responses, recommendations, and regimens. :)