How do you Blowdry Natural Hair?

KinksnCurlz

I know how to blow out relaxed hair thanks to the Dominicans
but I have no idea how to blow out natural hair... thick, shoulderlength natural hair to be exact.
Im so embarassed to ask this, but when you blow out natural hair, does it come out straight (like relaxed hair)? Before blowing it out, is there a special heat protectant that you guys could recommend? Also, where do you start from, the sides, back, front.... what? Do you use the comb attachment?

TIA ladies.

<font color="red"> Edited to add: </font> Does the blow dryer that you use matter? I have a ionic blowdryer... 1825 watts, i believe.

Jaelin

I haven't used my blowdryer in a while. I usually started from the back.

It will not come out straight like relaxed hair unless perhaps you're a type 2/3 etc.? But you can get it straighter, if your hair dryer has a comb attachment or you run a comb through it as you blowdry. The two times I tried this mine never looked like it was relaxed.

So far the only heat protectant I've used is L'Oreal Nature's theraphy Heat Control when I flatiron. It should for blowdrying.

M_BYRON_M

I used to blow my hair really straight until it looked some what texturized but since coming here ive stoped all that when i look bakc i realsed that harsh blowdrying was the cause of my various hair problems.I used to start from the left hand side.

The comb attachemnt is good also the compressor is good for difficult bits .I never used to use a heat protectant but then agin i didnt know then what I know now about hair.

Tracy

check out my album for possible straightness. I think you can get it as straight as relaxed hair if it's done professionally. BUT - that's much harsher....

FrizzMizz

Perfect as a matter of fact, I have to do blowdry my hair this weekend for a trim.

I'm gonna wash and shampoo.

Deep condition and Rinse.

Leave in Elasta QP Oil Recovery

Divide my hair into four quarters. Divide each quart into halves. Let a piece down and pin the rest up.

Start blowdrying from the back with a diffusser and a round brush.

My hair will be straight but it won't be relaxer staight because the blowdryer won't be hot enough and my hair is just too thicke.

bettydavis

I doubt my blowdried hair could ever look like relaxed hair. The only thing that could get it that straight is a pressing comb. But then again my hair is very resistant to any form of straightening...even my relaxed hair still had a curl pattern.

CocoaButterflyy

I've had a dominican blowdry my natural hair straight to the point where people thought I had relaxed my hair. The dryer makes a difference as does the level of heat. She parted it in fours then the fours in half and blew it outlike that

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
FrizzMizz said:
I'm gonna wash and shampoo.

Deep condition and Rinse.

Leave in Elasta QP Oil Recovery

Divide my hair into four quarters. Divide each quart into halves. Let a piece down and pin the rest up.

Start blowdrying from the back with a diffusser and a round brush.

My hair will be straight but it won't be relaxer staight because the blowdryer won't be hot enough and my hair is just too thicke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I follow the same system (but with different products) and get the same results. I like using a paddle brush better than a comb attachment.

NAY007

CH,

you blowdry it just like you would relaxed hair. The best thing to do is clarify, then follow with a moisturizing shampoo+conditioner combo (for example L'oreal Smooth Intense). After rinsing the conditioner out wrap a towel around hair and leave it like that for 5 minutes. Take the towel out and separate hair in four sections. Apply a serum to all four sections and detangle with a wide tooth comb. Start with either side and clip the other three sections of hair up. The section that you have hanging down now, you divide that into two sections, but you don't divide it from the top of your scalp towards your ear, you divide it from your hairline towards the back of your head, so you can clip up the upper section. Now you apply a heat protectant spray (I use African Pride Heat Protector Spray) and some Pink Oil to that section and use a big round brush. You do this procedure with all the sections on your hair.

I need the Pink Oil because otherwise my hair does not come out moisturized enough. Maybe for you the heat protectant spray is enough. Good luck girly:)

Victorian

old head
My hair isn't all natural (I'm transitioning) but I just wanted to suggest a straightening balm to help with the process. I find that I can't just use serum or liquidy protectants because I need more moisture. There are tons of straightening gels and products, but I like the creamy balm-type ones the best. I use the one from the Frizz Ease Relax line (called Straight Forward something something). It helps relax the curl and is also a heat protectant.

When I'm blowing out my roots I divide into quadrants and then do little sections of each quadrant, starting at the back. To keep from drying out my hair I let it airdry most of the way first, and then blowdry only until it starts to get hot and the curl starts to relax. Then I turn off the dryer and hurry up and comb through the section (medium spaced teeth) and pull it straight with my hand. I keep smoothing and stretching it until it has cooled (this is why I'm in the market for a blowdryer with a cool setting--to help this part go faster).
Sometimes I like to put the finished section on a roller. I started doing this mainly to keep the finished sections smooth and keep the ends away from the heat while doing other sections, but I find it helps add some body too
It's sort of the opposite of when people rollerset the hair and then blowdry afterwards to get it straighter. I'm not good at rollersetting wet hair, so this way works well for me.