Ladies... wash your hair!

JFemme

I smell hair at the gym, with the sauna being the worst...

Rank, dusty, sulfur type fog....

lawd....

Ladybug33

Well, this is due to the fact that most believe that dirt grows their hair. Also, there are plenty of folks who believe keeping a style in for the month without washing/ rinsing is low manipulation and will help hair to grow. I can't go a week before washing especially if I work out.:nono:

I use to hear this a lot growing up. Who started that awful rumor.

I get the whole low manipulation thing but if you're taking off your scarf in the morning and you can smell the funk- WASH IT.:lol:

You know you smell it.:yep:

sckri23

When I told my sis how much I wash my hair she told me im gonna get lice because lice likes clean hair ..... My grandma said dont believe that lie thats the white ppl way of trying to call blacks dirty while their the ones trying to keep bugs out their hair.

That story was kinda off subject but maybe thats another reason ppl feel they dont need to wash their hair, believing mess like that..

Sckri23 from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

MissMasala5

Ladybug33 said:
I never understood how some women could wait 2+ weeks to wash their hair. I was on the train today and sat next to a woman with hair so rank... I could hardly believe it. I was lookin around and thinking.. "What in the world"???

If you're one of these people who can wait weeks to wash your hair please make sure it ain't funky.

Sheesh!!!

Just my 2 cents

This public service announcement has been approved by the CASH organization: Citizens Against Stank Heads.

Sent from my typophilic iPhone using LHCF

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I was natural, I co washed daily and my hair loved it. When I told some other women about it, they said only white folks wash daily.:look: We have so many perceptions about what other folks do to their hair, that we neglect our own. LHCF hs taught me a lot.:yep:

melissa-bee

I was on the underground train a couple weeks ago and the train was crowded as it normally is. Someone's dirty musty smelly scalp and braids was was burning the inside of my nose. I was scared I was gonna leave with a cocaine addict looking nose.

CurlyMoo

There is a woman that I always talk to on our train journey to work. She often talks about her intense running sessions every morning.

I have known her for about a year and she always wears braid extensions, they always look neat, but these past couple of months her hair STINKS. It's almost vomit inducing. It's now to the point I hope I don't see her in the mornings.

Clearly she isn't washing her hair and is continuing to put some kind of product on her braids/scalp because the smell is just rancid.

I honestly don't know how her husband stands it.

You should tell her. :yep:

JessieLeleB

When in wigs I wash once a week maybe cowash midweek and when I do sewins I wash every two weeks, my sewins are usually the cheap curly hair that I throw away two every weeks, but I never had anybody say my hair stank, my scalp starts to itch after a week and half so I have to wash every two weeks at the latest. I dnt put a lot of junk on my hair either.

Ladybug33

I'm saying .... I'd like to make a recommendation for those who may not be sure if their hair is RANK:

1. If you have greased your scalp with any sulfur based product more than 3 times... YOUR hair might be Funky
2. If your bathroom suddenly becomes aromatic when you take down your scarf... YOUR hair might be Funky
3. If you're rockin that same ol dirty scarf that you ain't washed in weeks to bed.... YOUR hair might be Funky
4. If you've done heavy cardio for 3+ days this week, while wrapping your hair in that same ol dirty scarf.... YOUR hair is MOST definitely Funky!!!

Ladies, please add to this list.

We have to do better.

Lynnerie

This is the funny thread but all jokes aside, with all this hair advice going around I hope people do increase their washes as they are putting sulfur oil, MTG, and then green housing it with shower caps while practicing low manipulation. :nono:

formysanity

I don't understand people in weaves or braids who don't wash their hair. It's not that hard. Just dilute the shampoo and pop it in a spray bottle. There is no excuse for bad hygiene

youwillrise

i work with small children, so the most i go before washing is a week.

however, i try to rinse at least once or twice inbetween.

all that grossness getting in my hair...child snot, sand, alladat other kinda germiness going on. haha. it's just important for me because of my job to be clean so i dont get sick and so i dont get anyone else sick with crazy, nasty germs.

i didnt always wash/rinse this often, but my job is one of the main reasons i do.

Aireen

For me, I notice that I can't really go a full 7 days and expect my hair not to stink. So I'm trying to see if I can wash my hair every 3-4 days, still have retention, and keep a relatively clean and healthy scalp. The worst thing is to have to hug someone with your hair looking amazing, your body smelling good but that stench from the scalp being gag-worthy.

sckri23

Waterless shampoos....... there isnt any excuse for gross hair. Even plain water washes would help.

NIN4eva

In many instances, I think it may just be a case of "when you know better, you do better". There have been times in my life when I avoided getting my hair wet like the plague because I wanted that press and curl to last as long as humanly possible. There have even been times when I washed my hair more frequently but probably had smelly hair due to daily flatironing. Fast forward to 2012 and I now know better so I do better. Unfortunately, we don't all progress at the same pace.

That's what it is. Generations of crazy myths. When I get on the bus in the morning and sit in the back, before me is a sea of dirty scalp funk and hands patting heads :nono:

Knowledge is freshness.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I agree with when you know better you do better.

Wayyyy back before hair boards, I'd wash my hair once a month and just knew that was good enough. And if I had braids it was 3 months between washes. (although I would rub seabreeze on my scalp, but my hair was still dirty) Shoot I paid good money for that style and it was going to last dammit.

I always used to think that it was a waste to buy good smelling conditioner because the heat from the marcel iron was just going to leave my hair smelling burnt anyway.

I just rubbed my scalp and smelled the Wen mango coconut from this morning.:lick:

koolkittychick

I definitely co-sign on this thread...I can't go more than a week without washing my scalp, more often if I am on a heavy cardio kick.

I have a friend who has beautiful waist-length relaxed hair that I used to love to play in until she told me how often she washes it. I asked her how she found the time to do all that hair with a small child (it takes me minimum 3 hours to wash my almost-APL hair), and she told me she doesn't; she gets it washed when she goes in for a touch up. Every eight weeks. :nono: I dropped the strands I was playing with like they were coated in anthrax and asked how she handled her scalp and the smell. She said she didn't have problems with either, and she never got any complaints from her husband, so it was all good. :ohwell: To each his own I guess, but that would never be me, no matter how long my hair got.

FrazzledFraggle

I'm on day 18 of the insanity program and I've had to wash my hair everyday because I sweat so bad and honestly, I like taking a shower without worrying about my hair getting wet. I've always washed my hair at least 2 days a week but I think I could easily do every other day. My hair is in better condition this last couple of weeks than it was before.

NIN4eva

I definitely co-sign on this thread...I can't go more than a week without washing my scalp, more often if I am on a heavy cardio kick.

I have a friend who has beautiful waist-length relaxed hair that I used to love to play in until she told me how often she washes it. I asked her how she found the time to do all that hair with a small child (it takes me minimum 3 hours to wash my almost-APL hair), and she told me she doesn't; she gets it washed when she goes in for a touch up. Every eight weeks. :nono: I dropped the strands I was playing with like they were coated in anthrax and asked how she handled her scalp and the smell. She said she didn't have problems with either, and she never got any complaints from her husband, so it was all good. :ohwell: To each his own I guess, but that would never be me, no matter how long my hair got.

HA! Whaaat... :shocked:

Ogoma

I wash my hair almost daily, but I am always worried about the smell from the combination of smells from different products. What smell do you get from Italian Red Grape + Butterscotch + Coffee Butter + Ecostyler? I always wonder if the combination smells rancid, but I cannot smell anything.

Love718

LOL im so sorry but this remind me of a worker at a certain hair store i went up to her asking for advice her hair was smelling so bad dandruff was falling left and right had me afraid to breathe in ... Somehow we got on the topic of me telling her i wash my hair once a week and the way she made up her face you would think i said i murdered somebody

She went on to say she wash her hair every 5 months while she is in a weave and its "healthy" bc the dirt helps her hair to grow faster to each their own but it couldnt be me i wash my hair once a week cant cowash daily though my hair hates it

Last edited:

Aireen

She went on to say she wash her hair every 5 months while she is in a weave and its "healthy" bc the dirt helps her hair to grow faster to each their own but it couldnt be me i wash my hair once a week cant cowash daily though my hair hates it
How long is her hair? If you happened to see it or if she mentioned. I bet it's only SL and if it's APL, it's probably dry, brittle, and uneven. :look:

Angelinhell

I wash my hair almost daily, but I am always worried about the smell from the combination of smells from different products. What smell do you get from Italian Red Grape + Butterscotch + Coffee Butter + Ecostyler? I always wonder if the combination smells rancid, but I cannot smell anything.

I worry about that too. But now I either stick to one line of products, or use products with very light smells if I have to mix them.

Monaleezza

Crumbs this thread is harsh! I fear I'm the party-pooper!!

I only have sympathy for those who have yet to come to the knowledge that clean hair & a clean scalp = healthy hair & a healthy scalp.

Although saying that not all unwashed hair smells. As koolkittychick said, she was playing in her friend's hair without knowledge that it goes 2 months unwashed. Lol

When I was young ignorance meant I washed monthly because I believed it grew my hair.
It was true, dirty hair grew, because our treacherous hair washing practices meant such hair loss it was deemed better not to wash than to wash! Lol

I'm STILL convincing friends & family that to wash is better than not to wash.

We have a responsibility to share our knowledge, alas we can bring horses to water but we cant make them drink..,or even wash! Lol

greenandchic

I worked with this guy years ago who didn't wash his hair. You only had to be 5' away from him to smell his scalp. No one wanted to sit next to him during department meetings. His hair was raven black so you can see and smell the matte rancid oils and the dust and dandruff that was attached to his hair. Since he was the main IT person, you could not avoid him. A few of us eventually reported him to HR and his hair was clean after that.

When I was natural, I co washed daily and my hair loved it. When I told some other women about it, they said only white folks wash daily.:look: We have so many perceptions about what other folks do to their hair, that we neglect our own. LHCF hs taught me a lot.:yep:

The only white folks I know who wash daily are white men. The WW I know wash maybe every other day to twice a week.

Cipriana of UrbanBushBabes said in a video she only washes once a month - and its only cowashing. I don't know how she can stand it, but it works for her. :lol:

Because I work out often I cowash or use a cleansing conditioner every 3 days and shampoo my scalp once a week or so.

Lilmama1011

greenandchic said:
I worked with this guy years ago who didn't wash his hair. You only had to be 5' away from him to smell his scalp. No one wanted to sit next to him during department meetings. His hair was raven black so you can see and smell the matte rancid oils and the dust and dandruff that was attached to his hair. Since he was the main IT person, you could not avoid him. A few of us eventually reported him to HR and his hair was clean after that.

The only white folks I know who wash daily are white men. The WW I know wash maybe every other day to twice a week.

Cipriana of UrbanBushBabes said in a video she only washes once a month - and its only cowashing. I don't know how she can stand it, but it works for her. :lol:

Because I work out often I cowash or use a cleansing conditioner every 3 days and shampoo my scalp once a week or so.

Dang he got reported lol, he should of been embarassed

sckri23

When I was younger I would wet my hands and run them through my hair everyday to try to make it grow but I stopped when someone said my hair would fall out. Idk why ppl think water is acid for hair..

Atdow71

I'll admit back in the day I believed that water was the devil and black folks only needed to wash their hair every 2 wks to once a month. I'll also admit that back in the day I've gone at least 1-2 months w/o washing my hair.

Now I wash my hair once a week, if I don't my scalp goes crazy!

Last summer, I was in Miami visiting my sister w/ my girlfriends and we'd go out clubbing and the smoke from peoples cigarettes would get trapped in my locs. I had to wash my hair when I got in because I couldn't sleep w/ all the smoke in my hair. Now we were going out every night and not once did my gfs wash their hair.