Lock It Up, Lock It Up, Lock It Up, Lockdown . . .

Locking hair: are you locked, would you lock it up?

• Yes, I am dreadlocked

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Yes, I am Sisterlocked

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Yes, I am "______" locked [fill in the blank]

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 57 35.8%
  • H to hecky naw

Votes: 53 33.3%
  • Maybe [please elaborate in thread]

Votes: 32 20.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkVictory

I was locked from June '98 to January '05 when I BC'ed. All that time I worked in law offices. Was hired and promoted wearing the locks. Usually wore a bun or ponytail for work and dressed more conservatively than I would have with a more conventional hairstyle. Just my experience.

Shandell

I started locking my hair 3 months ago and I love it. I HATED the look of locs forever, but about a year ago I started to really like the look. I wanted to loc, but got scared and never did. Then my hair was in microstwists and were starting to lightly loc (get CRAZY tangled), so I left them in. And here I am today! Here's my Locs album.

ScandalousBeauty,
Your locs are gorgeous and your screen name suites you perfectly, you are a beauty!

Patricia

I tried to do locs about 5 years ago, and my dandruff got in the way. I'm not considering locs but I love the way they look!

LovinLocks

Read below it tells the story. I am a little upset:

Congrats once again!! I am not sure she did a great job on the back LL, just based on how random they look and not so smooth and tight in the pictures...but if you like em, I love em kiddo....I don't think she gave you 400...do you? Maybe she got tired with all that length...headquarters will look at those pics and also call you ...at least they did Pooh...((HUGS))
d

--- On Sat, 7/25/09, lovin locks <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Hi d
To: d
Date: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 11:36 PM

How are you? And the fam?

It's been accomplished!

http://public.fotki.com/lovinlocks/her-lock-story/lock-lock-lock-it-up/

peony

I had locs for 4 years. They were bsl before I cut/combed them out in December 08. They were great to have when my kids were babies because I didn't have to spend a lot of time grooming each morning. But it was so much work to keep them clean! I don't regret being unloced at all but it was fun and pretty while it lasted.

Netta1

I think locs are beautiful one day I will loc too, my DH is already loced (I loced his hair for him).

UGQueen

i will definatly loc one day. my SO has locs and i must admit i get super jelous, jus scared of the BC and the starting process when they are short.

Blyss_curls

Anybody here have dreadlocks, Sisterlocks, nubian locks (whatever you want to call them?)

11:44 a.m. - I just made appointment for a consult! :)

I'm not. I looked into doing this a while back, but decided it wasn't for me. But I still LOVE locks on others. I think they are gorgeous!

Best of luck to you on your locking journey!
:grin:

Bluetopia

And, then you'll be 60-70 finding out you STILL gotta take care of ya locks. Boo yahh, girl!

yes but after having locs for the majority of my adulthood and now going back to loose hair.....taking care of locs is a hundred times easier. :yep:

im still getting back in the swing of all the upkeep involved in taking care of my hair now and its a whole otha world of :perplexed

blkbuttahflyy

Loc'd 12/04 ~ 07/12.
Posting late, as usual. My hair will be loced 5 years come December. I love them and have no desire to ever cut them off or unloc them. 4 more inches or so and I will be at bra-strap length, but I don't think I want them any longer than that, so I may end up trimming them from time to time. I see a lady near my job sometimes and hers are nearly waist length. They are completely grey and she always wears them with some trucker's baseball cap. :nono: I've never been much of a stylist, pre and post natural hair, so I do have styling issues of my own. Plus mine are approximately a McDonald's straw in size and I have 199 of them on my scalp. I've only recently tried doing them as a braid out (love the look and also counted how many there were) and I use http://www.lockloops.com/ for curl, but mostly in the fall, winter, and spring, because the DC humidity will make mine fall fast, quick, and in a hurry. I keep them mostly a blend of red/honey blonde, but may dye them black for this winter. I just hope I don't look washed out.

thefineprint

Posting late, as usual. My hair will be loced 5 years come December. I love them and have no desire to ever cut them off or unloc them. 4 more inches or so and I will be at bra-strap length, but I don't think I want them any longer than that, so I may end up trimming them from time to time. I see a lady near my job sometimes and hers are nearly waist length. They are completely grey and she always wears them with some trucker's baseball cap. :nono: I've never been much of a stylist, pre and post natural hair, so I do have styling issues of my own. Plus mine are approximately a McDonald's straw in size and I have 199 of them on my scalp. I've only recently tried doing them as a braid out (love the look and also counted how many there were) and I use http://www.lockloops.com/ for curl, but mostly in the fall, winter, and spring, because the DC humidity will make mine fall fast, quick, and in a hurry. I keep them mostly a blend of red/honey blonde, but may dye them black for this winter. I just hope I don't look washed out.

Congrats on making it so long! Mine are only 2 1/2 years old and I can't WAIT until they are 5! I can't believe how much my hair has grown over the last 2 years...it's amazing. Locks forever!!:grin:

genesis132

I voted Maybe. The last few days, I've been YouTubing and stalking all types of Loc wearers videos/pics. I am definitely thinking about locing and have been researching Sisterlocks as well. But I think I would prefer thicker locs and most sisterlocks are tiny. So....who knows what the future holds for me. In the past, I would have voted H* to the Nah, but after wearing my hair natural for 5 years, it's good to know that Loc'g is an option as well.
Also, there was a girl on YT that had the most gorgeous locs, when she took them down, she had the prettiest 'Fro. She was able to retain alot of hair from her takedown. So it's good to know that locs are not permanent and can be taken down with alot of Patience and a whole lot of Conditioner. :)

Last edited:

remilaku

I have been loced 3 years and 8 months! Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!

It is so much easier to take care of than my lose hair ever was.

Last edited:

Raspberry

Congrats on making it so long! Mine are only 2 1/2 years old and I can't WAIT until they are 5! I can't believe how much my hair has grown over the last 2 years...it's amazing. Locks forever!!:grin:

Same here, I"m a little past the two year mark and they are growing really fast. I plan to cut mine more into a style with layered bangs once they are near BSL. I'll also keep the ones around my edges trimmed to reduce strain. I don't want them longer than MBL either...

I can't say I'll keep locs forever but right now they're the best style I've ever had for my lifestyle. I've also never felt consistently sexy and attractive with any previous style like I do with locs.

Newtogrow

I wear my hair in two strand twists the majority of the time, but love when I take them out for a straight or curly look.

Versatility for me. and they seem heavy like braids which would be too much strain on my neck (from a car accident).

The women I see have beautiful locs.

Guapa1

Who is this? She's gorgeous!

These are my primary reasons for locking my hair. I loved all the differernt looks i could achieve with loose hair but it was simply too much work to switch up styles frequently, so I stayed in twists 90% of the time. Being able to wash and go is priceless.. Given my career and life goals I can't see a time where I'll have time to spend hours a week on my hair again.

I love my locks more than any hairstyle I've ever had - they also make me feel sexy as heyell and I like the vibe they give out, others seem to like it too :grin:. I love the texture, the fuzz, the way they feel, and enjoying them as they grow.

As far as softness - that all depends on a persons texture and washing/maintenance routine. I wash/co-wash, condition, or rinse a few times a week and my locs love me for it. My locs feel soft but not in the way stretched or relaxed hair feels - mine feel like angora or a brushed cotton rather than silk.

There are definitely multiple style options with locs - Youtuber chescaleigh is incredibly creative with styling hers:

http://www.youtube.com/user/chescaleigh

:yep: I've been loc'd since August 08 and am loving it! I started with teeny tiny braids (often mistaken for sisterlocs) and maintain them myself with a bobby pin!

I loved my loose hair, but it was work and I usually had it in some type of protective style so it wouldn't tangle so I thought why not just get the ultimate protective style?

I'm not missing my loose hair at all. Speaking to a few long time braidlocers on np.com, the way one keeps her hairline is to make the base big, but do a 4 point latch rotation to keep the loc skinny.

thefineprint

I love my sisterlocks! You can't beat the versatility and flexibility. The initial price can be scary but it is an investment - just like anything else of value.

Platinum

:bump:

I'm seriously thinking about loc'ing my hair. I'll see how much length I'll have at the end of the year, then I'll probably lock it.

Guapa1

I should take pictures. Just finished retightening mine. It took forever as usual, but I love the length it is now. The front bit has grown so much. I didn't even realise that my hairline was so damaged. The front has started to grow, but it's too far from other locs to combine, so I've started them from scratch.

healthyhair2

I have thought about it more than a few times. I think Sisterlocks and Nubian Locs are beautiful! I just like the versatility of being a loose natural.

leiah

What kind of strengthening or conditioning products can I use that wont cause buildup?

My husband has big fat freeform locs he has been growing for 10+ years. He only washes them, doesn't use anything else on them
The ends are breaking off and im seeing lots of individual short strands with split ends. I really want to do something about it before he loses any more length

I am locked. This is my second set of locs and I will be locked for the rest of my life. My first set I did braidlocks that I interlocked. This set I did the towel rub locs that I now freeform.

Raspberry

What kind of strengthening or conditioning products can I use that wont cause buildup?

My husband has big fat freeform locs he has been growing for 10+ years. He only washes them, doesn't use anything else on them
The ends are breaking off and im seeing lots of individual short strands with split ends. I really want to do something about it before he loses any more length

You should try coconut oil, it's light, easily removed with shampoo, and actually scientifically proven to strengthen and thicken the hair shaft. After a wash I soak up excess water with a towel and rub coconut oil through my locs while they are still damp...leaves soft and sheeny. Just rubbing coconut oil in your hands will liquify it.

I use conditioner out of habit but coconut oil alone could replace it. I use extra virgin coconut oil btw.

Your husband may need to trim his locs by a few inches because I'm not sure that hair that has been dry for so long can be saved. He also needs to make sure he's rinsing shampoo out properly.. Especially with thick locs.

Raspberry

I should take pictures. Just finished retightening mine. It took forever as usual, but I love the length it is now. The front bit has grown so much. I didn't even realise that my hairline was so damaged. The front has started to grow, but it's too far from other locs to combine, so I've started them from scratch.

guapa do you have braidlocs?