Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

dicapr

Does anyone else not have a grid pattern? I just realized that my beautician has completely gotten rid of my original grid pattern. My locs are neat but I don't have nice parts anymore. It's more organic looking. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I just hope it doesn't affect styling options once my hair gets longer.

mochalocks

Ahh. So I might begin my loc journey again, but this time I don't want to cut off all my hair. I was thinking maybe I can just cut off the perm ends and install sister locks? I can always thicken them up in the future.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
@mochalocks you don't have to cut your hair off. You can start sister lock with permed ends. A friend of mine did this and once she hit over a year she started trimming the permed ends off. Her locks are gorgeous. I assume you could probably do the same with interlocking your hair since sisterlocks are basically interlocking

mochalocks

@mochalocks you don't have to cut your hair off. You can start sister lock with permed ends. A friend of mine did this and once she hit over a year she started trimming the permed ends off. Her locks are gorgeous. I assume you could probably do the same with interlocking your hair since sisterlocks are basically interlocking

Thank you.
How long did you grow your hair out before you started your locks?
@Foxglove

sunkissedskin

I'm feeling pretty "blah" about my locs right now. I just want them to be long/heavy enough where they hang down! :cry3:

I actually reached a point of frustration in December where I seriously considered cutting it all off. So I went and had kinky twists installed to prevent me from doing something stupid. :drunk: Just took them down two weeks ago. It was a really nice change and I got more way growth than usual! I think protective styling is what's going to get me through this awkward stage because I just don't feel cute or confident with my hair in its current state. Thinking about doing yarn twists next.

I'll be back for my one year loc anniversary next month with some update photos. Hope everyone else is doing great!

Renovating

sisterlocks1.jpg sisterlocks2.jpg I had my sisterlocks installed last Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and the last section was completed yesterday. I do not have permed ends, so I am a little disappointed about how much loose hair I have at the ends. The loose ends increase the daily maintenance in my opinion. I am definitely going to ask my consultant if she can reduce the amount of loose ends at my first retightening.

Other than that, I am pleased with the results.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I'm feeling pretty "blah" about my locs right now. I just want them to be long/heavy enough where they hang down! :cry3:

I actually reached a point of frustration in December where I seriously considered cutting it all off. So I went and had kinky twists installed to prevent me from doing something stupid. :drunk: Just took them down two weeks ago. It was a really nice change and I got more way growth than usual! I think protective styling is what's going to get me through this awkward stage because I just don't feel cute or confident with my hair in its current state. Thinking about doing yarn twists next.

I'll be back for my one year loc anniversary next month with some update photos. Hope everyone else is doing great!

I'm definitely understanding where you are coming from regarding wanting your locs to be long and heavy. I knew it was going to be a long process, but wow... it has been 14 months and I thought they would start to look more like locs by now. :-( I got a re-twist today, and man...it hurt. My roots must have started fusing together because all that pulling and prodding was getting to be too much. Will post pics shortly of the style I am wearing this time around.

Ivonnovi

View attachment 350627 View attachment 350629 I had my sisterlocks installed last Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and the last section was completed yesterday. I do not have permed ends, so I am a little disappointed about how much loose hair I have at the ends. The loose ends increase the daily maintenance in my opinion. I am definitely going to ask my consultant if she can reduce the amount of loose ends at my first retightening.

Other than that, I am pleased with the results.

I do/and have had Sisterlocks. The loose ends are just below where your consultant started the interlocking process. When I start the locs, I try to incorporate as much of the clients hair into the loc as possible, loose end's are always present; remember it's not like braiding, we start near the end of the length of hair and interlock the length down towards the scalp.

With that said you can try braiding some of the loose end's and see how that works for you. I had to do that with my permed ends when I first got sisterlocks. (@mochalocks this may be useful to you too)
This is a close up of my loose permed ends before braiding.
upload_2016-2-7_20-28-4.jpeg

Renovating

I do/and have had Sisterlocks. The loose ends are just below where your consultant started the interlocking process. When I start the locs, I try to incorporate as much of the clients hair into the loc as possible, loose end's are always present; remember it's not like braiding, we start near the end of the length of hair and interlock the length down towards the scalp.

With that said you can try braiding some of the loose end's and see how that works for you. I had to do that with my permed ends when I first got sisterlocks. (@mochalocks this may be useful to you too)
This is a close up of my loose permed ends before braiding.
View attachment 350639
I've been natural for almost eight years, so I didn't think there would be more than an inch of loose ends. Do your natural clients have as many loose ends as the permed clients?

Last edited:

Ivonnovi

I've been natural for eight years, so I didn't think there would be more than an inch of loose ends. Do your natural clients have as many loose ends as the permed clients?

First, let me say that I usually make it a point NOT to give opinions on the (sisterlock) work of others. Your concern about loose ends is a very common one.

Lets say the average length of your hair in a given parted section looked like this:detective: :
iIiIIiIi
the area below the dot on the "i" is where I usually begin the install, this leaves the area above that point loose;

As you can see the area below the "dot" would have the most hair. If the hair within the locked section contains multiple lengths she may have started near the shorter length. Multiply that by 500 locks and it may look excessive :antlers:

• I also don't offer a guaranteed install time, 20 hrs is my standard offer time; no matter the lenght/density; my focus is on reducing the possibility of slippage.
  • Some others have the ability to time their installs; I have seen a few cases where this IMHO affects the quality of the work; usually major slippage.
  • Also, if your quote was $xxx.00 for up to X length of hair and this was agreed upon; she may have only locked X length of hair.
Consultants have a lot of leeway to exercise discretion.

Last edited:

MzSwift

So I'm doing so much reading! I've always known that I would loc after growing my hair out but I didn't realize I would want to do it after having texlaxed. I guess the benefit is that my hair still has texture. But due to the inconsistency with texlaxing some areas on the same strand are straighter than others.

I want to just keep in this last set of mini braids and let them loc. But I'm not quite sure how I want to do my retwists. My hair is very fine, cottony, 4b. That's why I chose to make them smaller locs so they won't be too heavy when I grow them to my butt. :D But I don't want the uniformed or really manicured locs nor do I want to free form. I've always really loved but don't have the texture for the messy effortlessly sexy look - think Lisa Bonet and this beauty here:

So I've been thinking of doing a modified semi-freeform. I don't think my hair will do well with twisting/palmrolling the new growth. I think that retwisted portion will eventually swell and my long MBL texlaxed hair will look funny in comparison, even if that part does loc. Also my mini twists used to always unravel when I was natural so I dunno if my palmrolled roots will stay. I also like to wash/wet my hair at least every other day, especially if I'm going to be working out more.. someday :look:. While interlocking seems like the best choice for my brailocs, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way for me do it with less uniformity/neatness.

I've read about bi-directional palm rolling as a method of keeping the parts separated when semi-freeforming so I'm thinking about incorporating that.

I know I'm thinking too much but I was also considering taking down the mini braids and starting them the way people with straight hair start locs (borrowing twists) that way it will already be tangled and won't unravel. Even though most of my hair still has texture, it's more straight in the front.

OK, I think I've got all of my thoughts out. Can you ladies offers me any suggestions? I appreciate you all sharing your wisdom!

MzSwift

Here are my mini braids or soon-to-be braidlocs:

Mini Braids 2.10.16a.jpg
Mini Braids 2.10.16.jpg

The pictures look so weird but hopefully you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I don't like when they look scalpy and neat like this - even when I was fully natural. I've always loved when they became fuzzy and fluffy. :)

I started locs on my little man about 5 years ago using the interlock method and he has hair like mine. His locs became very solid about 6-8 months after I installed them. I don't know if there's a way to have my hair clumped and soft while locked but that's the look I'd like to achieve.

Should I take these down and interlock my hair? Doesn't interlocking compromise length as well? My little man's hair is not very long for 5 years. It fits his lifestyle (except for retightening, he hates it) and would fit mine but I would also like to feel.. sexy.

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I'm about to hit my 18 month mark. Just got done retightening the front

TeeMartini

Good evening ladies! My name is Tonya and I've been a member of LHCF for a few years. I locked my hair about 2 years ago and went through such a process to where I am now. I have traditional Locs now that are shoulder length.
I've created a product called locBOX which is geared directly towards loc'd heads! I feature 4-5 natural hair product samples per month From various brands that I have sourced. We launched our March box already. When you have a minute please check out my website at www.locbox.org. Any feedback you ladies have would also be appreciated. Thanks,

Tonya.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I wanted to include a photo of this month's retwist (14 months). I think it is going to take my hair at LEAST 2 years to lock. 10 more months to go...

With all of this that I'm going through, I am NEVER cutting them out! Lol...

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 119
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

MzSwift

I decided to split my mini braids into halves and thirds because I like the idea of microlocs. They're not as micro as I'd have liked but it works. I also decided to do the twist-n-tug method used to start locs on straight hair. I finally finished redoing my hair Sunday. Let the journey begin...

MzSwift

^^^Have fun playing with the mix! I've always loved self-maintaining my hair no matter which state it was in.

My hair is holding up well. I've been treating it like I do my mini braids. Dunno if that's the right thing to do or not but so far, so good. I already have a lot of either slippage or new growth so I've been interlocking it. I hope my locs grow out well.

dicapr

Here are my mini braids or soon-to-be braidlocs:

View attachment 350937
View attachment 350939

The pictures look so weird but hopefully you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I don't like when they look scalpy and neat like this - even when I was fully natural. I've always loved when they became fuzzy and fluffy. :)

I started locs on my little man about 5 years ago using the interlock method and he has hair like mine. His locs became very solid about 6-8 months after I installed them. I don't know if there's a way to have my hair clumped and soft while locked but that's the look I'd like to achieve.

Should I take these down and interlock my hair? Doesn't interlocking compromise length as well? My little man's hair is not very long for 5 years. It fits his lifestyle (except for retightening, he hates it) and would fit mine but I would also like to feel.. sexy.

I started with braidlocs and interloc to maintain them. It's only been 7 months but so far so good.

Transformer

@Ivonnovi
Had two lock consultations today. Sister locks....I didn't know that consultants usually only braid 5 inches. I wouldn't have gone. I cut 6 inches off my hair two weeks ago and the consultant measured my hair today at 15 inches....she then asked me to cut it. Cost $900.00. Found out that gray hair doesn't weave well....will still have lots of strays.

Second consultant wants to install two strand twist the size of a straw and then latch. She explained that locks thins after they mature. $300.00

Ivonnovi

@Transformer given that you are open to other options to Sisterlocks I would HIGHLY suggest you go the route @MzSwift did and start with BraidLocs. I too was originally told to "cut my hair"; BS! It took me 3 years to even consider seeing another Consultant. 15 inches is a nice length, and I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied to keep your coins in your pocket and your hair on your head; especially a year from now when they mature.

If the 2nd consultant is willing to interlock them for you for maintenance, I'd stick with her. I'm not sure about starting them with 2ST's but if they are small/thin to start and your hair doesn't unravel much, they may mature nicely.

Again: Nix the 1st consultant; negotiate with the 2nd..... and maybe ask MzSwift if she has any tips to share about her Journey.

Nameste'

Ivonnovi

Whoa okay!! I just read one of @MzSwift's post and here's a little input.

MzSwift Re: intlocking but not looking too neat. I'd recommend that you do mostly a 3 point rotation instead of a 4 point. to add "interest" to the individual locks do the 4 point rotation (only) every few re-tightenings. The 3-point rotations are not nearly as tight and will result in a loser or fluffier loc; the 4-point should yield a tighter more cylindrical loc; AND of course there is no need to retighten all the way down to the scalp if that's not the look you want.