Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

sunkissedskin

Have any of you transitioned from 'regular maintenance' to freeforming/semi freeforming? Was it difficult? I ask because as someone with naturally thin/fine hair, my locs are not as thick/dense as I'd like them to appear, despite the fact that I have well over 100 of them on my head. For the most part, I've had my hair retwisted every 4-5 weeks. Now I've recently switched to interlocking, and while I enjoy being able to wash regularly without worrying about my roots unravelling, I really don't like how scalpy my hair looks.

I've never had dense hair, even as a loose natural, so idk why I lowkey expected to have juicy, luscious locs lol. Too much Youtube, I guess. :spinning:

MzSwift

^^^Yes ma'am, that's why I've chosen to keep mine more semi-free from looking. Even as a fine-haired loose natural, I liked my mini braids better after a couple of weeks when they were a frizzy. As for my locs, I'm alternating between twisting and finger interlocking in order to keep a semi-manicured appearance. I also don't retighten all the way to the roots. I'm not sure how it's going to look as they mature so that's the only catch.

sunkissedskin

^^^Yes ma'am, that's why I've chosen to keep mine more semi-free from looking. Even as a fine-haired loose natural, I liked my mini braids better after a couple of weeks when they were a frizzy. As for my locs, I'm alternating between twisting and finger interlocking in order to keep a semi-manicured appearance. I also don't retighten all the way to the roots. I'm not sure how it's going to look as they mature so that's the only catch.
Lol, the 'semi-manicured' look is what I'm trying to go for too. How often do you retwist? I'd like to go at least 3 months and see how my locs look at that point, but my loctician says she'll have to keep an eye on them to make sure the integrity of my roots isn't compromised (because my hair strands are so fine). She thinks I should be okay, though.

I've never heard of finger interlocking...off to Google lol.

MzSwift

Lol, the 'semi-manicured' look is what I'm trying to go for too. How often do you retwist? I'd like to go at least 3 months and see how my locs look at that point, but my loctician says she'll have to keep an eye on them to make sure the integrity of my roots isn't compromised (because my hair strands are so fine). She thinks I should be okay, though.

I've never heard of finger interlocking...off to Google lol.

For retightening, I've been playing it by ear. I loosely twist/twirl clockwise every 2 weeks or so. When the loose new growth is past the first line on my index finger, I finger interlock for two rotations. But my locs are micro. If they were thicker, I would wait a few months or so.

I can't wait to see how your locs progress! The ladies I meet are typically into neat locs or free form so I'm happy to meet a like-minded lady.

Platinum

I was up late last night retwisting my hair (Palm roll method) with a couple of Red Box movies, herbal tea, and incense made it a lot easier this time. I'll probably go back to interlocking during the summer

I tried sitting under my hooded dryer with the metal clips and I don't see how people can stand it. :burn: My longest Locs are collarbone length (stretched).:grin: I know that's not very long for this site but for someone who has never gone past shoulder length, I'm happy about my progress. I can't wait until my hair is down my back.:yep:

Last edited:

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
When can one expect to see length in their locs? After maturity? 2 years or more? I keep going to Instagram pages with locs and I drool at all the photos!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
75% through my reti. I'm almost 1 year 8 months loced

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Anybody with smaller locks color their hair? I'm debating highlights or doing a streak but I've never done color and I don't want to mess up my locs. How did your hair feel after dying it? How did your regimen change?

MzSwift

When can one expect to see length in their locs? After maturity? 2 years or more? I keep going to Instagram pages with locs and I drool at all the photos!

I've noticed that those who twist/roll see length much faster than interlocking. I started my sons lock by interlocking 3" of hair about 5 years ago and he's just now getting to shoulder length on his longest layers. I started my exH's locs the same way at the same time and his hair started showing length once he switched over to twisting/rolling.

MzSwift

I think I need to step up my DCing game. I think I've been hair lazy since I'm loccing. I'm going to try to DC at least once/week and go back to my Sunday hair day regimen. I used to do it and it worked for the whole family.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I've noticed that those who twist/roll see length much faster than interlocking. I started my sons lock by interlocking 3" of hair about 5 years ago and he's just now getting to shoulder length on his longest layers. I started my exH's locs the same way at the same time and his hair started showing length once he switched over to twisting/rolling.

Thanks for the response! I took my bun down after having it up for a week and a half (because I work out and was sweating underneath). My hair scared me! It touched midback and I thought a bug was on me. Lol...

Anyway, does anyone have any post workout hair tips for locs? I want to combat sweaty, itchy scalp and...smell.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I felt something crawling on my neck but it was my hair :lol:
Gratuitous hair shot

This makes me realize my greys are out of control and I need to henna. Also I have random locs that are longer than the others and I can't figure out why. I have a feeling it may have something to do with some of my buds falling off in the beginning during manipulation

Harina

My starter locs appointment is May 3rd with Damian Walters. With his expertise I should be able to stick with the locking process and follow thru. Most if not all of his clients take very little time to loc regardless of hair texture.

Why do you think that is? Did you already have a consultation with him?

Harina

I felt something crawling on my neck but it was my hair :lol:
Gratuitous hair shot

This makes me realize my greys are out of control and I need to henna. Also I have random locs that are longer than the others and I can't figure out why. I have a feeling it may have something to do with some of my buds falling off in the beginning during manipulation

Are these locs or sister locs?

BillsBackerz67

Why do you think that is? Did you already have a consultation with him?
My appointment with him is Tuesday. No consult needed. He's had a few people fly to him from all over the country to start their locs and he told them to go back because their hair was a mess.

His IG is universe_of_knapps
YouTube videos: Damian Walters
He has over 100 videos on how he starts his locs, products, methods etc.