Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Natty_Virgo

I understand. I felt the same way when I got my locs installed in May 2014. The staff was loud and "ignant" (worse than ignorant). The loctitian that I had was good but seemed to have a bit of an attitude. I haven't been back to that salon since.:nono:

Yep, mine was so mad for some reason. Like she was just miserable and rude af. Whatevs, hope her life gets better. I found someone on styleseat that is only 10 mins from my house in a nice looking shop whoop! I meet with her tomorrow to just have a chat. She seems nice already and all her pics looked amazing. Retwisting should be a breeze. YAY!

KimPossibli

Supergirl
How long was your hair when you started locking

I want to loc this year. My hair is still pretty short though probably only half an inch in some areas..

my gf says I need to grow it out for a bout a year...

Platinum

I want to loc this year. My hair is still pretty short though probably only half an inch in some areas..

I was about a year and 4 months when I started. You can see my pics on the first page. How long is your hair now?

Natty_Virgo

@Platinum @Cali2tx

the sides and back of my hair are about an inch and the top is maybe about 2

I'll probably try to stick it out until at least July.

I keep worrying about my weak edges though. :/

Someone in this thread posted some edge care maintenance. I just got these yesterday but I've already used castor oil and jojoba oil on my edges and will every few days because I have the same fear.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy

as long as you can get ur hair in a style that won't unravel you can start locing. i've seen ppl with super short hair start locs but they had kinky hair. if your curls are loose and fine you probably need several more inches.

KimPossibli

Supergirl
as long as you can get ur hair in a style that won't unravel you can start locing. i've seen ppl with super short hair start locs but they had kinky hair. if your curls are loose and fine you probably need several more inches.
I think my hair is super tight.. except for the wack patch at the back...

Natty_Virgo

So I found a new lady to do my hair for my retwist, she uses a product made of shea and oils. When I rubbed it on my hand it didn't leave any kind of residue. Can I trust this?

Natty_Virgo

I use only black tees to dry my hair, no towels and I try to avoid light colored scarves. I try to avoid linty situations lol

Okay, cool. I'm taking notes. I can't even wash them myself yet but when I do I will make sure to use only black shirts etc. Thanks!!

dicapr

This rough stage is indeed rough as hell. I almost combed out these twist but dh stopped me and kept telling me how beautiful I look, so I just put on a hat. I'm getting them retwisted next week and hope they look good for at least 4 weeks after that.

Hang in there. It's rough for a while but if can make it past the rough stage you will love the result.

BillsBackerz67

This rough stage is indeed rough as hell. I almost combed out these twist but dh stopped me and kept telling me how beautiful I look, so I just put on a hat. I'm getting them retwisted next week and hope they look good for at least 4 weeks after that.
See if you can get them in a style to help them last longer for the next retwist. Would have been my solution for my unraveling issues but I get pressure headaches very easily. If you don't have that issue, try a style.

Buffalo is so not on the radar with loc care. I went for a retwist (which came out amazing thank god) the other day.

:lachen: the girl was not only NOT going to wash my hair but the owner told her to "trim" my frizz. She assumed my locs would unravel and I had to tell her I'm beyond that point even though it may not look like it. As far as trimming I said absolutely not you won'to_O then she tries to educate me on why I need the trim. I said please just retwist my hair and that's it...thanks. o_OIf she pulled out brown Precon gel I swear I would have left :lachen:

this is why some people with mature locs have thinning, holes, and breakage. doing too much too soon during the maturation phase! Like damn it's only 10 months I have loose frizzy big hair they're never going to be perfectly neat no matter how much I trim. I'm totally ok with that.

Natty_Virgo

See if you can get them in a style to help them last longer for the next retwist. Would have been my solution for my unraveling issues but I get pressure headaches very easily. If you don't have that issue, try a style.

Buffalo is so not on the radar with loc care. I went for a retwist (which came out amazing thank god) the other day.

:lachen: the girl was not only NOT going to wash my hair but the owner told her to "trim" my frizz. She assumed my locs would unravel and I had to tell her I'm beyond that point even though it may not look like it. As far as trimming I said absolutely not you won'to_O then she tries to educate me on why I need the trim. I said please just retwist my hair and that's it...thanks. o_OIf she pulled out brown Precon gel I swear I would have left :lachen:

this is why some people with mature locs have thinning, holes, and breakage. doing too much too soon during the maturation phase! Like damn it's only 10 months I have loose frizzy big hair they're never going to be perfectly neat no matter how much I trim. I'm totally ok with that.

Dang I was excited reading about how to maintain this frizz until I got to your part about the pressure headaches. :( I got those very easily as well. I ordered a few tam hats from etsy which might have to do to hide my hair until it's better. I get them retwisted Fri and I'm sooo ready.

Lord! So glad the retwist came out okay even though you had to direct them on what to do. Hopefully you get back to your regular person soon!

BillsBackerz67

Dang I was excited reading about how to maintain this frizz until I got to your part about the pressure headaches. :( I got those very easily as well. I ordered a few tam hats from etsy which might have to do to hide my hair until it's better. I get them retwisted Fri and I'm sooo ready.

Lord! So glad the retwist came out okay even though you had to direct them on what to do. Hopefully you get back to your regular person soon!
Try the style! Worst case scenario is that you take it out if it starts to hurt.

Thanks I can't wait to get back home. I'll be attempting my own retwist to avoid this drama in a few weeks. I hope it goes well.

Natty_Virgo

Try the style! Worst case scenario is that you take it out if it starts to hurt.

Thanks I can't wait to get back home. I'll be attempting my own retwist to avoid this drama in a few weeks. I hope it goes well.

Okay, I'm going to ask her about a style. Now I need to go look some up lol.

Damn, good luck with twisting your own hair or finding someone (anyone) else that can do it.