Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

BillsBackerz67

I got my hair retwisted on New Year's Eve. I was able to go 29 days! That's a record. It used to be every 2-3 weeks.

The front is locing at snails pace due to the texture and the back is coming along nicely. Today marks Month 8.

I'm hoping at my 1.5-2 year mark that I'll be fully loc'd.

IMG_5219.JPG IMG_5234.JPG IMG_5233.JPG

Last edited:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
i've been seriously debating combing out my locs. i went on vacation over the holidays and got so much sand and junk in them and i hate the way they smell when they get wet.:barf: not to mention, i've been having severe scalp issues. super dry and itchy over the past few weeks.

BUT my hair is so dry and kinky and brittle. i can never go back to spending so much time on my hair and looking ugly until my hair dries for a style that will only last few a few hours. i can never go back to loose hair. never. :nono:

it's either locs or a baldie with a wig.:lol: but seriously, tho.

Platinum

i've been seriously debating combing out my locs. i went on vacation over the holidays and got so much sand and junk in them and i hate the way they smell when they get wet.:barf: not to mention, i've been having severe scalp issues. super dry and itchy over the past few weeks.

BUT my hair is so dry and kinky and brittle. i can never go back to spending so much time on my hair and looking ugly until my hair dries for a style that will only last few a few hours. i can never go back to loose hair. never. :nono:

it's either locs or a baldie with a wig.:lol: but seriously, tho.

@Oasis You should probably try a loc detox and a good deep conditioning to see if that helps.

Oasis

@Oasis You should probably try a loc detox and a good deep conditioning to see if that helps.

thanks! i did a detox yesterday. i don't know if im doing it right because the water is never dirty. at all. yay for clean locs but its kinda disappointing. my scalp feels a lot better tho. i think my shampoo (HE hello hydration) may be causing the issues.

Platinum

thanks! i did a detox yesterday. i don't know if im doing it right because the water is never dirty. at all. yay for clean locs but its kinda disappointing. my scalp feels a lot better tho. i think my shampoo (HE hello hydration) may be causing the issues.

You may need to find a good clarifying shampoo instead of HH. My loctitian raved about a shampoo that she uses but I don't remember the name of it. I found these online last night:

Attachments

• IMG_1172.PNG
    IMG_1172.PNG
    342.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1173.PNG
    IMG_1173.PNG
    678.5 KB · Views: 72

Oasis

yall

im visiting my family for the weekend and apparently all my little cousins have head lice (among other things). i dont want to get into how trifling and pathetic their mothers are but i was at their house sitting all on the couch, hamming it up and now im worried.

i had my mom check my head and she didn't see anything but every time i come home i leave with something.

if i have to cut my locs i will be devastated.:(

it's confirmed. i have head lice.

i'm so upset and angry and disappointed and disgusted.

i can't stop crying. i look cute with a baldie but i definitely didn't want to cut my hair under these circumstances.

Ivonnovi

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
it's confirmed. i have head lice.

i'm so upset and angry and disappointed and disgusted.

i can't stop crying. i look cute with a baldie but i definitely didn't want to cut my hair under these circumstances.
So sorry to hear about this. I don't have locs yet, but I wouldn't cut mine off. There are a few home remedies out there, but you may have to do them repeatedly.

You should google for options but I came across http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20641598,00.html which outlines quite a few options. I use Neem oil weekly to nourish my scalp, and while it smells like skunk spray, it kills lice and a whole lot of other things.

Here's another site: http://articles.mercola.com/how-to-get-rid-of-lice.aspx

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
@Oasis I didn't watch this vide but it came up quickly during the search

I saw this Amazon review per Delacet (which is used in the video) from someone who has locs
():
5.0 out of 5 starsI had such a bad case of lice that I was literally picking bugs ... By Rose on September 28, 2016
I had such a bad case of lice that I was literally picking bugs out of my hair. I left this stuff in for 2 1/2 hours, shampooed and no more bugs. I should mention that I have dreads down to my butt, so you know this stuff works really well. I'm going to repeat the process this weekend, just to make sure.

Oasis

thanks yall! sorry for being so dramatic.:lol:

after calming down i did some research and found some good tips. unfortunately or fortunately this is rare for black folks so there's not much advice for ppl with hair like ours.

apparently heat works very well so i took a blow dryer to each dread last night and was able to kill A LOT with that method (who knows how many more there are *shudders*) tonight im going to try some of the natural remedies like mayo and vinegar. my mom works at a youth home and said said this works well. im going to do each method every 3 days for a few weeks and see where that takes me.

so, i guess if you know someone who doesn't believe black folks can get head lice just point them in my direction.:lachen:

BillsBackerz67

thanks yall! sorry for being so dramatic.:lol:

after calming down i did some research and found some good tips. unfortunately or fortunately this is rare for black folks so there's not much advice for ppl with hair like ours.

apparently heat works very well so i took a blow dryer to each dread last night and was able to kill A LOT with that method (who knows how many more there are *shudders*) tonight im going to try some of the natural remedies like mayo and vinegar. my mom works at a youth home and said said this works well. im going to do each method every 3 days for a few weeks and see where that takes me.

so, i guess if you know someone who doesn't believe black folks can get head lice just point them in my direction.:lachen:
I don't know how often you visit OT but there was a whole thread on megalice last year and a lot of people were under the assumption that black folks don't get lice. I was thinking "y'all gon learn today:spinning:" and posted my experience of having a black patient who was infested with lice:whyme:...like you could see them visibly crawling on her head standing several feelt away. smh. I still get hives thinking about it. I'm glad you found a solution and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't have to cut!

MrsMe

I'm dying to dye my hair. (Pun unintended).
My sisterlocks are 5 1/2 months old now and I'm seeing some nice growth but I'm already bored. :look: I need a change.
I've been playing with them by doing twistouts and braidouts but I want some color dagnabbit!
Has anybody successfully dyed their locs on their own? Is it too soon for me to do it with sisterlocks?

Platinum

I'm dying to dye my hair. (Pun unintended).
My sisterlocks are 5 1/2 months old now and I'm seeing some nice growth but I'm already bored. :look: I need a change.
I've been playing with them by doing twistouts and braidouts but I want some color dagnabbit!
Has anybody successfully dyed their locs on their own? Is it too soon for me to do it with sisterlocks?

I think @Foxglove uses Henna for her Sisterlocks. What color are you thinking about using?