Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I'm watching one of Desiree Marie's videos this morning. I saw this video last week, and I didn't realize that she actually started with braidlocks but decided to take those down and start over with two strand twists.

I'm watching this video now, and I really like this pin curl style she has.

Someone said in the comments to one of her videos that she resembles Holly Robinson Peete....that's exactly who she looks like!

And why ya'll didn't tell me Velvet Lox was her mom????? Off to watch some of her videos....#subscribing

They look like sisters....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

mz.rae

Oh no!!!! I'm sorry to hear that, especially since you just got a fresh retightening. What do you think is causing it? Could your consultant have changed interlocking patterns recently, unbeknownst to you?

That's great news! I know you feel so accomplished with all these changes and progress. It must be nice to be able to handle your Sisterlocks on your own, too. 2 full rotations???? Let me find out! That's a lot of growth.... you better work!!!! :toocool:

Thanks for that update and thanks for telling us how you resolved bunching in your Sisterlocks. We were having a discussion about it in the thread, with no resolutions besides cutting.

Your explanation explains why my consultant told me it would be expensive to correct, but she didn't elaborate or say why.

I'm enjoying these updates.... I hope more ladies come in to post.
I’m trying to figure out why they are slipping. I don’t oil my hair or scalp, I’m wondering if it’s from the way I tie my scarf. This isn’t the first time it has happened. She may have changed my interlocking pattern. It’s just so irritating because it is only on one side the side I mostly lay on at night during bed.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I’m trying to figure out why they are slipping. I don’t oil my hair or scalp, I’m wondering if it’s from the way I tie my scarf. This isn’t the first time it has happened. She may have changed my interlocking pattern. It’s just so irritating because it is only on one side the side I mostly lay on at night during bed.

Oh I see....do you put your hair up and out of the way before you tie your scarf on? Maybe you should try doing that instead. Or braid your hair up at night and wear braidouts for a while to see if that helps.

I've heard some people with traditional locks say the locks in the back of the head where you (general you) lay down lock the fastest due to the pressure created from the weight of your head. Maybe since the Sisterlocks are much smaller in diameter, the pressure could be causing them to loosen up, which is attributing to the slippage you see.

Some other things you could try are to tie your scarf in the front of your hair, but make sure the locks in the front are covered. You could also try putting your hair up and then wearing something like a lock sock or one of the headbands I mentioned earlier in the thread, and then tie your scarf around that to secure it and keep it from coming off while you sleep. That's how I tie my hair up at night and it works for me.

In the meantime, are you going to let your consultant fix the slippage now or wait?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
It’s official...my combcoil locs we’re born today. I’m excited and nervous and happy! The loctician was wonderful and I’m happy that I’m finally on my way. Here is the starting pic of my crazy soft fro as she prepped my hair. I’ll post a pic of my coils when I’m dry. It doesn’t look like my pics will post ☹️

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
It’s official...my combcoil locs we’re born today. I’m excited and nervous and happy! The loctician was wonderful and I’m happy that I’m finally on my way. Here is the starting pic of my crazy soft fro as she prepped my hair. I’ll post a pic of my coils when I’m dry. It doesn’t look like my pics will post ☹️

Congratulations and enjoy your journey! I'm glad you had a good appointment. Please keep trying to post the pics...I'd love to see your starting pics of your comb coils.

mz.rae

Oh I see....do you put your hair up and out of the way before you tie your scarf on? Maybe you should try doing that instead. Or braid your hair up at night and wear braidouts for a while to see if that helps.

I've heard some people with traditional locks say the locks in the back of the head where you (general you) lay down lock the fastest due to the pressure created from the weight of your head. Maybe since the Sisterlocks are much smaller in diameter, the pressure could be causing them to loosen up, which is attributing to the slippage you see.

Some other things you could try are to tie your scarf in the front of your hair, but make sure the locks in the front are covered. You could also try putting your hair up and then wearing something like a lock sock or one of the headbands I mentioned earlier in the thread, and then tie your scarf around that to secure it and keep it from coming off while you sleep. That's how I tie my hair up at night and it works for me.

In the meantime, are you going to let your consultant fix the slippage now or wait?
Thank you for posting these I’m definitely going to try and start braiding my hair up now that it is longer. And I’m probably just going to wait and have the slippage fixed at my next retighten since it’s so close to the holidays now. Even though it is going to bother me until my new growth starts coming in.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
View attachment 438095
My sisterlocks will be 9 months soon. I see buds... some on the ends, some in the middle of the lock. I’m still dealing with shrinkage, which is annoying. And it feels like my sides and back are growing but my front is refusing to grow. I have no real complaints because I’m just so happy with my locs.

Woo hoo!!!! Almost 9 months in....you'll be creeping up on your 1 year mark fast! The front is probably growing, it just might be a little less noticeable than the other parts of your hair. Do you have pics you can use for comparison purposes?

The shrinkage will always be there, unfortunately. But there are ways to minimize it. I found this video for you this morning. FYI, she uses heat to stretch her Sisterlocks. I don't know your position on that, but if you don't want to use heat you can always stick to traditional methods like braiding, banding, or twisting without heat.

Lavenialivinglife:

I also watched this video of her 1 year progression....wow!

I never really addressed shrinkage on my SL journey, so I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

FlawedBeauty

Congrats!! How exciting. Try upl.co that's how I get my pics to post. It transfers the pic to a URL you can copy paste to they site.

FlawedBeauty

I can't wait for my retwist next week. I wish I would have scheduled the appointment for three weeks instead of 4. I'm three weeks on Friday.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Hey y'all. I have been saving all of my shed hair from my detangling sessions for the past month 1/2. In case one day i want to loc my hair, but want extra length. I would have somebody make loc extensions of my own hair. I'm not saying I'm going to loc my hair but if I do I'll have my hair ready. I plan on saving all my shed hair every time I comb.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Hey y'all. I have been saving all of my shed hair from my detangling sessions for the past month 1/2. In case one day i want to loc my hair, but want extra length. I would have somebody make loc extensions of my own hair. I'm not saying I'm going to loc my hair but if I do I'll have my hair ready. I plan on saving all my shed hair every time I comb.

That's a good idea. I thought about doing that well after the fact, after I had already started mine, but of course it's too late. I always threw away all my shed hair during detangling. I didn't even save my Sisterlocks. I would have used the hair to wrap around the locks as they form and not for the purpose of creating lock extensions, though.

I almost didn't start locks for DS 2. I was going to let his hair continue to grow out and then cut it once he turned 2 or something, but I was going to save his hair to wrap around some (or all) of my locks. I thought about doing that with DS 1's hair, but his hair is a different texture than ours so I might look crazy.

Right now I save shed hairs that come out or don't make it into the lock and wrap those back around certain locks that seem to need it.

I still think your hair would be amazing locked so I will be keeping an eye on you with a flashlight. :lachen:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
That's a good idea. I thought about doing that well after the fact, after I had already started mine, but of course it's too late. I always threw away all my shed hair during detangling. I didn't even save my Sisterlocks. I would have used the hair to wrap around the locks as they form and not for the purpose of creating lock extensions, though.

I almost didn't start locks for DS 2. I was going to let his hair continue to grow out and then cut it once he turned 2 or something, but I was going to save his hair to wrap around some (or all) of my locks. I thought about doing that with DS 1's hair, but his hair is a different texture than ours so I might look crazy.

Right now I save shed hairs that come out or don't make it into the lock and wrap those back around certain locks that seem to need it.

I still think your hair would be amazing locked so I will be keeping an eye on you with a flashlight. :lachen:
Thank you! What made me think of saving my shed hairs was this video right here:

All He (any one) would have to do is crochet my shed hairs right on in at the ends. At least that's how I picture it. What do you think?

FlawedBeauty

Yaaaaaaasssss!!!!! Your hair looks awesome. Frizz and new growth come through!!!!
Thank you!!! I can't wait to see what this retwist is gonna look like. You see at the nape there's like no coils just frizz.

Wanna hear something funny. I feel like a loc snob and Im not even close to loc'd yet lol. Like on my Instagram feed I'll see people starting with loc extensions and I'll roll my eyes and think, 'those aren't real, you didn't even work for those and probably telling folks they real' :lachen: even though at one point I was considering starting with extensions lmao. I'm so crazy :lachen:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Thank you!!! I can't wait to see what this retwist is gonna look like. You see at the nape there's like no coils just frizz.

Wanna hear something funny. I feel like a loc snob and Im not even close to loc'd yet lol. Like on my Instagram feed I'll see people starting with loc extensions and I'll roll my eyes and think, 'those aren't real, you didn't even work for those and probably telling folks they real' :lachen: even though at one point I was considering starting with extensions lmao. I'm so crazy :lachen:

Yes, I saw the nape! Your loctician will have you looking right when it's time. The rest of your post is too funny! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I feel the same way sometimes when I see them, but I try not to judge. Some of those extensions look so real, too. I saw one of DXLYN's videos where she was installing some that she made on a client and I was blown away by how authentically real it looked.

On another note, I respect the people who can keep it 100 and say they have extensions, vs. the people who are just out here stunting and putting on for Facebook and IG.

FlawedBeauty

Yes, I saw the nape! Your loctician will have you looking right when it's time. The rest of your post is too funny! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I feel the same way sometimes when I see them, but I try not to judge. Some of those extensions look so real, too. I saw one of DXLYN's videos where she was installing some that she made on a client and I was blown away by how authentically real it looked.

On another note, I respect the people who can keep it 100 and say they have extensions, vs. the people who are just out here stunting and putting on for Facebook and IG.
I like that I decided to go through the process though. I'm excited to see my locs grow and change. If I got extensions it would just be like okay whatever they're here now what lol

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Thank you! What made me think of saving my shed hairs was this video right here:

All He (any one) would have to do is crochet my shed hairs right on in at the ends. At least that's how I picture it. What do you think?

I remember! We talked about it earlier in the thread. I think that would probably work, but I imagine you would probably lose a lot of it from them pulling the shed hairs up and into the extensions. But you won't know what that process actually entails until you ask a professional. They might approach it differently so you don't lose the length you desire.

I think you might come out better if you started locks with your own hair and then wrapped the shed hairs around each individual lock to kind of give your hair a good start and help it lock faster and not look so much like starter locks, because your hair is already so long and thick that you will get added length on top of that from your hair growing out during the locking process.

But I also understand that may not be your preference.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I remember! We talked about it earlier in the thread. I think that would probably work, but I imagine you would probably lose a lot of it from them pulling the shed hairs up and into the extensions. But you won't know what that process actually entails until you ask a professional. They might approach it differently so you don't lose the length you desire.

I think you might come out better if you started locks with your own hair and then wrapped the shed hairs around each individual lock to kind of give your hair a good start and help it lock faster and not look so much like starter locks, because your hair is already so long and thick that you will get added length on top of that from your hair growing out during the locking process.

But I also understand that may not be your preference.
This all makes sense. I'm taking this knowledge in and banking it for future withdrawals for sure. Thank you! When I'm ready for locks in about 3 years (who knows) I'll have my hair and the knowledge.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I like that I decided to go through the process though. I'm excited to see my locs grow and change. If I got extensions it would just be like okay whatever they're here now what lol

True indeed! I love watching mine form and evolve as well. There's an immense sense of self, pride, improved confidence and accomplishment in going through the process of locking my hair.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
This all makes sense. I'm taking this knowledge in and banking it for future withdrawals for sure. Thank you! When I'm ready for locks in about 3 years (who knows) I'll have my hair and the knowledge.

I would also like to add something else for you to consider. If you're going to be saving all the shed hair to re-purpose for later, you might want to cut the bulb off of all the hairs. Otherwise, your locks will look like you have dandruff and lint in them even though you don't.

Also, try to keep them as flat as possible and separated so they don't tangle on themselves wherever you're storing them.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I would also like to add something else for you to consider. If you're going to be saving all the shed hair to re-purpose for later, you might want to cut the bulb off of all the hairs. Otherwise, your locks will look like you have dandruff and lint in them even though you don't.

Also, try to keep them as flat as possible and separated so they don't tangle on themselves wherever you're storing them.
That is an excellent tip. I can't even picture myself going through that tedious action of cutting bulbs off. I put the hair in sandwich bags :look:.

I can just dye the hair black to hide bulbs :lachen:.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
That is an excellent tip. I can't even picture myself going through that tedious action of cutting bulbs off. I put the hair in sandwich bags :look:.

I can just dye the hair black to hide bulbs :lachen:.

:lachen: True.... Just try to keep them as flat as possible. Remember natural hair is like a trellis and it wraps around itself, neighboring hairs, and anything else in its path. Otherwise you will have to separate and untangle twice.

mz.rae

I'm watching one of Desiree Marie's videos this morning. I saw this video last week, and I didn't realize that she actually started with braidlocks but decided to take those down and start over with two strand twists.

I'm watching this video now, and I really like this pin curl style she has.

Someone said in the comments to one of her videos that she resembles Holly Robinson Peete....that's exactly who she looks like!

And why ya'll didn't tell me Velvet Lox was her mom????? Off to watch some of her videos....#subscribing

They look like sisters....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

No way really?!?! I had no idea that was her mom!!

mz.rae

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Hiya ladies!

Here's a little bit of my background story: I stopped relaxing in October 2005 and did the big chop in november 2006. Ever since then, I've been natural. Lately I've been thinking about locking my hair, women like Bronzegoddess on YouTube are my main inspiration.

Last week I tried my hand at finger coils and was very pleased with the results:

The only thing stopping me right now, is that I would first like. to remedy my dandruff situation, before going forth with the idea. Also, I'm debating whether I should start with my semi long hair or really cut it off, rock something like this for a while and go from there:

Can't wait for you ladies' input. I was starting to get fed up with my natural hair journey, but these new plans are giving me life again :D.

prettywhitty

Just took down my mini twists. And I have learned a few things:
1. My hair was already starting at the root. I had no idea it would do that do fast. I had them in 4 weeks.
2. Detangling all this hair is something I really don’t want to do anymore. I like to look at loose natural hair but I’m coming to the place I don’t have to have it for me right now.
3. Cantu apple cider root rinse is the truth. It lifts everything off the scalp.

I initially wanted to do 4 more sets of twists to perfect my foundation but that’s totally gone now. :lachen:I think I only have two more times in me. My parting was sloppy last time and I had no grid. I’ll practice that with this set.
I’m a bit afraid of the oncoming frizziness andfuzz. That’s my last mental hurdle.