Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

FlawedBeauty

Don't look at it like that. As long as your hair is in the state it is in now (meaning starter locks) and you have not cut them or shaved your head bald, you are making progress. It's all a part of the process for your hair to potentially loosen up some during a wash, especially the first wash.

Just remember to use low water pressure and be gentle when you do it. Focus the cleanser mostly on your scalp and don't disturb the coils as much when you wash. The cleanser will reach your coils when you rinse. It will also allow your hair to keep some moisture in and not dry out too much if you don't put the cleanser directly on your coils.

If they loosen up or unravel, just twist it back up or you can wait until your first retwist. You got this!
Maybe you missed my question above!!! Lol

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Maybe you missed my question above!!! Lol

I'm so sorry! I actually didn't see it until just now.

@shortycocoa Are there any good interlocked ladies on YT? I've found some but no really popular ones.

But to answer your question, there's a few that I like. Let me go find some of their videos and post their names also. A good bit of them have Sisterlocks, microlocks or braidlocks, though.

I have posted about Dynamic Runner aka Dewdrop in this thread before. I don't think she posts much anymore but I like looking at her older stuff. I found her channel when I was on my first set and I used to follow her blog.

I also mentioned Ibyl and posted one of her vids in here, as well as Josette Bianca, Feneti, and KayaJourney. And of course, JoyceMD was interlocking before she combed hers out.

I also like hers (twists2locs):

And Saleema Cartwright. She's also on IG. I believe I've also mentioned her in this thread before. This video might be appropriate for you since you want to interlock with 2pt and not 4pt.:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
@Cattypus1 I meant to say that I was looking into this for you the other day. I searched on IG and you weren't lying....nothing came up for locticians I KY. I searched on Google, but I don't know what city you're in. I found these, though. Is this in your area?

View attachment 439135
Girl, you are the Best! I have to say thank you for taking the time. Yes, they are in my area but the 1st and the 3rd on the list were where the person wouldn’t even call me back. I booked a consultation with her based on a recommendation and she wasn’t there when I arrived and someone else did the consult. I wasn’t impressed with that and spoke to the manager and she assured me that the recommended person would do my hair. She took my number and later called me giving me the stylist number and asking me to call her on her mobile. I called the number and spoke to the stylist and she apologized for missing the consult; we talked for a short time about rescheduling and she had to go take care of children or something and said that she would call me back...never did. I just wrote you this book just so you could see what I’m up against.

Last edited:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Don't look at it like that. As long as your hair is in the state it is in now (meaning starter locks) and you have not cut them or shaved your head bald, you are making progress. It's all a part of the process for your hair to potentially loosen up some during a wash, especially the first wash.

Just remember to use low water pressure and be gentle when you do it. Focus the cleanser mostly on your scalp and don't disturb the coils as much when you wash. The cleanser will reach your coils when you rinse. It will also allow your hair to keep some moisture in and not dry out too much if you don't put the cleanser directly on your coils.

If they loosen up or unravel, just twist it back up or you can wait until your first retwist. You got this!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I’m formulating my plan. I’m going to use a mesh cap and a tint bottle to apply the shampoo. I’m going to do my best to palm-roll (been trying to practice):drunk: We gon see!

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I’m formulating my plan. I’m going to use a mesh cap and a tint bottle to apply the shampoo. I’m going to do my best to palm-roll (been trying to practice):drunk: We gon see!

Sounds good! Are you washing and palmrolling this weekend? Take lots of before and after pics. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm sure you are going to do a great job!

FlawedBeauty

But to answer your question, there's a few that I like. Let me go find some of their videos and post their names also. A good bit of them have Sisterlocks, microlocks or braidlocks, though.

I have posted about Dynamic Runner aka Dewdrop in this thread before. I don't think she posts much anymore but I like looking at her older stuff. I found her channel when I was on my first set and I used to follow her blog.

I also mentioned Ibyl and posted one of her vids in here, as well as Josette Bianca, Feneti, and KayaJourney. And of course, JoyceMD was interlocking before she combed hers out.

And Saleema Cartwright. She's also on IG. I believe I've also mentioned her in this thread before. This video might be appropriate for you since you want to interlock with 2pt and not 4pt.:

No worries, I knew you missed it. I was like hold up no like or comment, yea she must have missed it :lachen:

FlawedBeauty

I absolutely loved JoyceMDs hair. I watched a few of her videos before and must have never visited her actual channel because it was like literally two days ago I saw that she combed out her locs...well cut them after it ended up being too much work. I was like noooooooo!!! Then I saw on top of that she ended up relaxing as well. I was like lordt :nono:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
No worries, I knew you missed it. I was like hold up no like or comment, yea she must have missed it :lachen:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: LMAO right! Cause you know I don't miss nothing. But every once in a while a post will sneak by me in here and I have to go back and look. Thanks for tagging me because I didn't see the post before.

I always check to see if there are any new posts in this thread or posts I need to reply to periodically throughout the day. Sometimes I do crash pretty early or shortly after DS 1 goes to sleep but I usually catch posts made during that time the next morning or if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night.

But that question wasn't really a short answer type of question and ya'll already know how I go...:lachen:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I absolutely loved JoyceMDs hair. I watched a few of her videos before and must have never visited her actual channel because it was like literally two days ago I saw that she combed out her locs...well cut them after it ended up being too much work. I was like noooooooo!!! Then I saw on top of that she ended up relaxing as well. I was like lordt :nono:

Right!!!! Her locks were so dope! I'm really surprised she was unhappy with her locks and combed them out because in her videos she always seemed so happy with them and the way they were progressing, at least from the videos I saw.

And yeah, we were talking about her combing them out and going back to loose natural hair and now being relaxed earlier in the thread. You must have missed those posts.

But I always admired the fact that she was able to start her own locks by interlocking (her and Dynamic Runner) and I loved to see them change so much into what she eventually ended up with, even though her interlocks were so small.

I have said this before, but I really hope she ends up doing another set.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Girl, you are the Best! I have to say thank you for taking the time. Yes, they are in my area but the 1st and the 3rd on the list were where the person wouldn’t even call me back. I booked a consultation with her based on a recommendation and she wasn’t there when I arrived and someone else did the consult. I wasn’t impressed with that and spoke to the manager and she assured me that the recommended person would do my hair. She took my number and later called me giving me the stylist number and asking me to call her on her mobile. I called the number and spoke to the stylist and she apologized for missing the consult; we talked for a short time about rescheduling and she had to go take care of children or something and said that she would call me back...never did. I just wrote you this book just so you could see what I’m up against.

Wow....ok. That's crazy. I hope you left negative reviews everywhere possible so others can see how unprofessional they are. If you want to have a loctician on hand as a back up, I will keep looking for you.

But it sounds like you are all set to self-maintain and I think that's really important, too. Trust me, you are going to feel so happy, accomplished and proud of yourself after you finish palmrolling your last lock. There's no other feeling like it and you will remember that feeling forever.

FlawedBeauty

Right!!!! Her locks were so dope! I'm really surprised she was unhappy with her locks and combed them out because in her videos she always seemed so happy with them and the way they were progressing, at least from the videos I saw.

And yeah, we were talking about her combing them out and going back to loose natural hair and now being relaxed earlier in the thread. You must have missed those posts.

But I always admired the fact that she was able to start her own locks by interlocking (her and Dynamic Runner) and I loved to see them change so much into what she eventually ended up with, even though her interlocks were so small.

I have said this before, but I really hope she ends up doing another set.
Ok. I'm just going to have to go back and read this whole damn thread cuz I'm tired of the 'youwouldaknownthisifyoureadthedamnthread' shade I keep getting :lachen:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Well...1st ever retwist is in the bag. My palm rolling technique sucks but I got em done. I’m proud of the effort. I look like an alien with these 50-11 dozen clips in my head. :abducted: I’m now under this tabletop hairdryer I just bought at Sally’s today which will be returned tomorrow! I had forgotten how inconvenient they are to use. I’m gonna buy a free standing dryer to replace my old one that died. I’m about to drink a Stella and hope for the best. On the plus side, I love Design Essentials products! I’ll come back with before and after pics-good, bad or ugly.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Ok. I'm just going to have to go back and read this whole damn thread cuz I'm tired of the 'youwouldaknownthisifyoureadthedamnthread' shade I keep getting :lachen:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I hollered! But I wasn't trying to shade you at all; I'm sorry if it came off that way. :lachen:

I think you would love it, though. I know I did. I also plan on reading the other old threads about locks but this one keeps calling me. :lachen:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Well...1st ever retwist is in the bag. My palm rolling technique sucks but I got em done. I’m proud of the effort. I look like an alien with these 50-11 dozen clips in my head. :abducted: I’m now under this tabletop hairdryer I just bought at Sally’s today which will be returned tomorrow! I had forgotten how in convenient they are to use. I’m gonna buy a free standing dryer to replace my old one that died. I’m about to drink a Stella and hope for the best. On the plus side, I love Design Essentials products! I’ll come back with before and after pics-good, bad or ugly.

Congratulations!!! Now that's what I'm talking about. See, I knew you could do it. I bet you feel like a new woman. :toocool::afro:

Don't worry about technique; it will get better with time. Keep going! Now you should go back down to that salon and stunt on all of them like Julia Roberts did to that uppity old bitty in "Pretty Woman" who didn't want to wait on her kind in the high-class department store.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer

You did a great job for your first try. Don't be so hard on yourself! It looks good. Please remind me, how long had it been between your install and this first wash and retwist?

I struggled with my technique and ended up with some coils with a “bubble” about an inch from my scalp. I didn’t post a pic of those because I’m probably going to have to “retwist” those. Otherwise, I’m good with my first effort.

You don't have to retwist those unless it's really going to bother you. Those bubbles are going to be the places where buds can start forming. You just gave them a headstart.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
You did a great job for your first try. Don't be so hard on yourself! It looks good. Please remind me, how long had it been between your install and this first wash and retwist?

You don't have to retwist those unless it's really going to bother you. Those bubbles are going to be the places where buds can start forming. You just gave them a headstart.
Thanks @shortycocoa I was at the end of week 3 (Monday). I’m going to check the bubbles today to see if they look too messy. They may have smoothed out over night. Since I can’t really style it now, I need to at least look presentable at work. They are used to me in twists for weeks at a time and they’ve only ever seen me as a natural. We’ll see. Overall I’m happy with my results and glad I’m not going to have to pay $60+ every 3 weeks or so and I will get better at it.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Congratulations!!! Now that's what I'm talking about. See, I knew you could do it. I bet you feel like a new woman. :toocool::afro:

Don't worry about technique; it will get better with time. Keep going! Now you should go back down to that salon and stunt on all of them like Julia Roberts did to that uppity old bitty in "Pretty Woman" who didn't want to wait on her kind in the high-class department store.
You are too daggone funny!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Omg you did a great job!!! I'm inspired to maybe try to do my own retwist if my loctician doesnt shape up.

What design essential products did you use?
I used the Oat Protein and Henna shampoo first and then the Honey Cream moisture retention shampoo and then the Almond and Avocado mousse. I used a mesh cap so I didn’t disturb my coils too much. For the most part, most of my coils stayed intact. I have a looser curl pattern in the front and those tried to unravel but I expected that.