Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

mz.rae

I can’t believe I am 20 months loced! You all weren’t lying when you said time goes fast! On a side not a few weeks ago I made the mistake of wearing a scarf around my neck and got so much lint in my hair! I spent a few hours picking it out of my hair after I washed it. I don’t know if I got it all out or not.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Yay!!!!! Congratulations @FemmeCreole.....enjoy your journey! You look so fresh-faced and happy. How do you feel? It looks like you're off to a good start. But you dead wrong for coming in here without a pic of that grid, girl!...:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Don't mind me....ya'll know I love a seeing a fresh grid....:lachen:
Just for you! I’m alone so that’s the best I can do.

Attachments

• 1B92C149-04CA-4B98-9672-44AD05161D7F.jpeg
    1B92C149-04CA-4B98-9672-44AD05161D7F.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 88526714-7FB4-4E2D-8DB8-F4AECC3F7633.jpeg
    88526714-7FB4-4E2D-8DB8-F4AECC3F7633.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 33

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I don’t know why I can’t seem to be able to upload some of the other pics.:ohwell: Anyway, my locs aren’t perfect and that’s okay with me. This is the longest that my hair has ever been in my life! :yep:

We've all had the same challenges and frustrations uploading our pics. LHCF just won't let us be great. :lachen:

I remember where you started from and pre-locks when you kept your hair in twists a lot so I'm super excited for you. Your hair will continue to get long, long, long and I'm here for it!

Platinum

We've all had the same challenges and frustrations uploading our pics. LHCF just won't let us be great. :lachen:

I remember where you started from and pre-locks when you kept your hair in twists a lot so I'm super excited for you. Your hair will continue to get long, long, long and I'm here for it!

Thank you, Sis! :kiss: If I knew in 2008 what I know now, I would have stopped trying to save my severely damaged, relaxed hair, BC'd, and just lock it. I love it! Its the best thing that I could have ever done for my hair.

BillsBackerz67

You should definitely fluff them, shake them out or run your fingers through (gently). A light mist of water or steam from the shower also works. Otherwise, if you continue doing that, it could lead to flat locks.

I have to stay on top of that with my son's hair, especially since he's so young and still at that age where he lays on the back of his head a lot. When he wakes up from naps and sleeping overnight there's at least three rows of locks that are flat all the time. Basically anywhere he lays and presses his head his locks will be flat in that area. It goes away after I hit them with some moisture.
And early marrying of the roots. It hurts! Lol

BillsBackerz67

I’m loving everyone’s updates! Everyone’s hair is progressing beautifully:love4: I can’t helieve in 5 months I’ll be at the 3 year mark. It’s crazy! Time is just flying. My last retwist was the last week of September. I’m thinking maybe next month I’ll go to my loctitionZ

I also washed my hair (only retwisted the edges) after almost 1.5 months...sounds gross but its been so cold that the thought of washing my hair was agonizing. I don’t suffer from itchy scalp or smelly hair otherwise I wouldn’t have gone that long.

I invested in a soft bonnet attachment to attach to my hand held dryer and it’s been a god send. I’m now at the length where air drying is no longer an option.

As far as deep conditioning, it’s a no for me. All I can foresee in the future with that is buildup with stiff locs overtime if I did that with my hair. Instead I use regular rinse out conditioner by Trader Joe’s and I use about two quarter sized amounts.

I don’t slather my hair with or let it sit for a prolonged period of time. 10 minutes in the shower and that’s it. Sometimes I even dilute it.

I tried a thorough final rinse with 2 gallons of cold distilled water for the first time and I will definitely be doing that from now on. I have hard water and I noticed a significant difference in how my hair feels vs not using it.

A8DCF944-3341-4CEE-B681-10416D2A29ED.jpeg

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I’m loving everyone’s updates! Everyone’s hair is progressing beautifully:love4: I can’t helieve in 5 months I’ll be at the 3 year mark. It’s crazy! Time is just flying. My last retwist was the last week of September. I’m thinking maybe next month I’ll go to my loctitionZ

I also washed my hair (only retwisted the edges) after almost 1.5 months...sounds gross but its been so cold that the thought of washing my hair was agonizing. I don’t suffer from itchy scalp or smelly hair otherwise I wouldn’t have gone that long.

I invested in a soft bonnet attachment to attach to my hand held dryer and it’s been a god send. I’m now at the length where air drying is no longer an option.

As far as deep conditioning, it’s a no for me. All I can foresee in the future with that is buildup with stiff locs overtime if I did that with my hair. Instead I use regular rinse out conditioner by Trader Joe’s and I use about two quarter sized amounts.

I don’t slather my hair with or let it sit for a prolonged period of time. 10 minutes in the shower and that’s it. Sometimes I even dilute it.

I tried a thorough final rinse with 2 gallons of cold distilled water for the first time and I will definitely be doing that from now on. I have hard water and I noticed a significant difference in how my hair feels vs not using it.

View attachment 439537
Beautiful locs

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer

View attachment 439537

Your hair is gorgeous!!!! It looks so lush and healthy, too. Your regimen definitely agrees with your locks and that's all that matters.

BillsBackerz67

Your hair is gorgeous!!!! It looks so lush and healthy, too. Your regimen definitely agrees with your locks and that's all that matters.
Thank you so much! I look forward to your advice on here all the time! Maybe you or anyone else can help me out with this? So I want to venture into twist outs but I’m finding that the last 2-3 inches of my hair are way too thick to even twist around each other once you get the 2 locs twisted together.:bangdesk: I don’t think it would be as bad if my hair was longer but since it’s still on the shorter side, it will be very noticeable

Someone on IG suggested rubber bands but that only helps it stay secured. Either way the last inch or two of my hair still wouldn’t be crinkly. So I’m like hmmm the only thing I can think of is individual pipe cleaners on each one? I don’t freaking know lol.

94200949-D9C5-4249-8F66-E77761F8D91E.jpeg

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Thank you so much! I look forward to your advice on here all the time! Maybe you or anyone else can help me out with this? So I want to venture into twist outs but I’m finding that the last 2-3 inches of my hair are way too thick to even twist around each other once you get the 2 locs twisted together.:bangdesk: I don’t think it would be as bad if my hair was longer but since it’s still on the shorter side, it will be very noticeable

Someone on IG suggested rubber bands but that only helps it stay secured. Either way the last inch or two of my hair still wouldn’t be crinkly. So I’m like hmmm the only thing I can think of is individual pipe cleaners on each one? I don’t freaking know lol.

View attachment 439663
This is shorter?:drunk:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Went for my last retightening for 2018. This time it felt like my loctician was pulling my brains out. :( My scalp isn’t sore or tight but I was not happy with how rough my she was when she was cleaning up my parts. She said I had a lot of new growth and it was thick. After I told her to ease up the rest of the appointment went ok. She said my hair looked good and ok’d me to use a rinse but only a rinse to cover the grays at my hairline. I’m considering going every 7 weeks vs every 6.

FlawedBeauty

Sooooo question. When do interlock start doing something? I feel like I'm going to have these lil braid looking things forever lol. My coiled ends are getting frizzier but the interlocs are like fresh looking :lachen:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I had to clean up the bubbles. I rinsed my hair and applied a little bit of shampoo, lathered and rinsed it really well. I didn’t mess with trying palm-rolling because i think my hair is too short for me to do it successfully. I just coiled in the same direction as they were started and clipped them down. It took me about an hour. I replaced my standing hair dryer so I’m drying right now. I’m feeling pretty good about it now. I haven’t taken a picture this week so it’s time.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer

View attachment 439663

I'm glad to help! Someone made a post about this recently on FB but nobody had solutions.... I think you should try the pipe cleaners, either individually on each lock (but I think that might give you a more curly set, not crinkly) or you can twist two locks together and then at the point where the two fat ends are too thick to be incorporated into the twist I would take one pipe cleaner and wrap it as tight as you can around each one. Try to do it when your hair is wet or damp also and that might also make it easier to work with your hair and it will also help the style set.

Re: the rubber bands--you're right. They will only help them stay secured but they're probably going to be too flimsy to create crinkles or a wave pattern in your hair. You might need to try using something else that is stronger and will create enough pressure to make the crinkles/waves in your hair. Try using elastic ponytail holders or cut up nylons/pantyhose if you have some on hand.

I know that when I put my hair in ponytails for bed, that bend is still in my locks the next morning, especially if the ponytails were really tight. It goes away after I've been in the shower and gotten my hair wet.

I can't wait to try twistouts (and other styles like bantu knots/knot outs) myself, but I have the same problem with my slim thick locks. :lachen:

I also think I need to wait for my locks to mature more, for the twistouts, anyway. I attempted to do a style with knots but I couldn't quite get the thick ends to stay in the knots. I know if I had more time to experiment I could do it. I already know I have to use hairpins to secure them.

Getting back to your dilemma, these videos might help, though.

Here's NaturalBeauty0214, but her locks are not as thick as yours at the bottom. I also think you can use some type of sturdy wire, maybe from a craft store, in place of the wrap a lock tool.:

loc'dandloaded:

Harpo, who dis woman????? My slim thick lock twin in EVERY way! :lachen: She started her locks the same way I started mine (with two-strand twists) AND we have the same number of locks. I don't think she interlocks, though.

Your ends are thicker than hers, but I just wanted to give you a visual. I also think if you approach it the way I mentioned (twisting wet or damp and twisting tight, then securing the very end with rubber bands) you can get the look you want.

She starts sectioning her hair off to twist around 6:05.

I would have loved to see the take down of this, but she doesn't have a video of that that I could find. She does, however, have a 3-strand twist tutorial. That might work for you also, if you wanted to try that.:

And here's the takedown:

There were a couple other videos I saw, but this YouTuber stood out to me the most. If she can get her hair in a twist out, there's hope for us. :lachen:

Making A Woman:

(Braidout)

(Retwist and braids)

https://youtu.be/64f3S03Gl9c

If you want me to post the other videos I found, just let me know. Their hair was not as thick as yours, but still might be helpful in terms of seeing technique. But these should be enough to get you started.

I hope that helps and definitely come back and show us how yours turned out!

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Last edited: