Long hair ladies: when did you START to get the mixed question?

envybeauty

Ya know. The .........."you got indian in you or something" ........the "you must be mixed right"...............the "you all Black"...........type questions. :look:

They irk me and yet, surprise me, each and every time. Which happens more frequently these days. Coworkers. Friends of friends. Strangers.

I think for me, it started around APL. The "Indian" in you question came from a friend's boyfriend. Prefaced by the "is that all yours" question that came out of nowhere after my friend left the room. :ohwell:

I can't wait until longer hair on a BLACK woman is the freaking norm. Ain't no one asking Miss Molly if she is really Blonde or is her hair really that straight. :rolleyes:

nappystorm

I get the mixed question alot (no matter my hair length) but people swears it's because of my facial shape and eyes. I don't see it.

I did get the "is that a jherri curl" question when I first went natural and that was soon followed by "are you mixed".

nappystorm

I must admit, however, when I see a Miss Molly with a dunk I start wondering the same thing...but that's a whole nother topic

MizAvalon

Never, since it's pretty obvious that I'm not. I do get asked whether or not I am American sometimes though.

Digital Tempest

Been getting it since I got out of the TWA stage (along with the "ARE YOU GROWING DREADS/TWISTING" because my hair forms a lot of perfectly tight spirals), and my hair still isn't that long.

In fact, a co-worker the other day asked me if my hair was real because she wanted a weave that looked like my hair. When I told her "yes, it's real," she asked me what I did to get it curly. I told her I just let it grow, and that I was really following a really simple regimen, especially now with my pregnancy and the apocalypse that's going on at our place of business.

Then she said, "Are you MIXED with SOMETHING?" I asked her: "Why I gotta be mixed?" Her response is that she only saw "mixed kids" with any kind of curly hair and that she wanted to go natural but she didn't think she would have hair like mine. She said she thought her hair would be wavy, and she didn't want wavy hair. She wants curly hair like mine. I told her that you never know, but I'm sure that her hair would be beautiful regardless. She told me I talked her into going natural. LOL. I barely said anything.

Qualitee

Well Im mixed :look: and most people in my family has long hair with a 3a,b or c texture. But I hate the way people think all because you have long hair you're mixed! I cant wait to see all the brown sistas on here get to WSL!!!!!!!!!

CurlyMoo

Well Im mixed :look: and most people in my family has long hair with a 3a,b or c texture. But I hate the way people think all because you have long hair you're mixed! I cant wait to see all the brown sistas on here get to WSL!!!!!!!!!

You can be brown and mixed. It really doesn't matter what the color is people are going to be surprised now that many Black women are reaching longer lengths with their hair. Black folks have a lot to learn about our own people. Sad but true.

cottoncoily

When I was relaxed and wore braidouts people would ask me if I'm mixed or African (Ethiopian or Somalian). Partly because of my face shape and partly because of my hair.

Latomian

Earlier than I can remember. My father once told me a story about when he was out grocery shopping with me and a friend asked him whose baby I was. Then a man was trying to convince my father that my mom cheated and I wasn't his kid b/c he is dark skinned. It breaks my heart b/c I LOVE my daddy!!!

Miamori

I get asked that a lot, and my hair hasn't been to APL or longer since I was a little girl. If I say no, I often hear a suggestion that "maybe it's Native American" and I am just forgetting, or "Indian" (as in from India), or is my family Ethiopian?

How the heck are you going to suggest to me what on earth I am? I know best, thank you very much, and I said NO.

[ I do have a Native American great-greatgrandmother (passed - we are still trying to find out her history though... we think she was N.A. and black or African maybe because she was SO dark. She was TBL or HL. She may have just been Native American though, who knows... I've often suspected the family made up that she's part Native American to explain away her hair though... the only reason I dont completely dismiss it is because it's undeniable that her daughter, my greatgrandmother, is a great deal Native American), majority Native American greatgrandmother (living), and another greatgrandmother living who is some part Nativev American. But that is all. ]

Forever in Bloom

Earlier than I can remember. My father once told me a story about when he was out grocery shopping with me and a friend asked him whose baby I was. Then a man was trying to convince my father that my mom cheated and I wasn't his kid b/c he is dark skinned. It breaks my heart b/c I LOVE my daddy!!!

Are you serious!? :blush: That is ridiculous :nono:

vpoetic

I always got the what are you mixed with question since I was little. Not are you mixed, but what are you mixed with?? I think it was also because my noise is a little pointed.

Nice & Wavy

I never get asked this question by black folk...it's always hispanic's that come up to me speaking spanish and when I tell them I don't understand....I get "The Look"...LOL

Whatever....it don't matter...we are all the same in God's eyes. He doesn't see one above the other!