Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2023

What would you like to address and improve as it relates to having luscious, healthy ends?

• Breakage

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Thinness

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Unevenness

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Split Ends

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Dryness

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • Roughness

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Knots

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Dullness

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

Lylddlebit

Oh and I also need your full wash day playlist @Lylddlebit :giggle:

Here are some
My Crown-Kelly Roland
Flip My Hair-Jessie James Decker
Put your records on-Corrine Bailey Rae
Video- India Arie (like it better than "I am not my Hair", though that one is ok)
Cloud 9-Donnie(My favorite neosoul artist of all time. Totally underrated)This is my favorite hair song on this list, but it is more of a proud natural/black pride song than a silk press song. That is the only reason I didn't use that in the video.

Keep Your Head Up- Andy Grammer
Hair-Chaka Khan
My Hair-The Maine
There Goes My Baby-Usher “like waterfalls her hair fall down to her waist…and I get a taste girl”
Forever Amen- Randy Travis (that was almost my first dance song at my wedding"...honey I don't care I ain't in love with your hair and if it all fell out, I’d love you anyway)..I have loved that song for as long as my memory goes back.
Playin’ in her Hair-Dream
Let your hair down-Dwele (I like most of the songs he sings).
Let your hair down-Magic
Let your hair down-Temptations
I love me-Cupid
Free Your Mind-En Vogue
Everyday people-Sly and the Family Stone
Afro Puffs-Lady of Rage
That thing-Lauren Hill
Poetry-Javier
Perfect-Johnny Gill

The Beauty Within-Dead prez
Love my hair- Mickey Guyton

Not all of them are direct hair songs, but all of them are reminders of why I love my hair and enjoy what it can do and what it is regardless to what is popular or what others think about it.

There are a LOT more but the ones I listed will get you started.

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

@Lylddlebit could you a short clip on how you screw that bun holder back in? I thought you were gonna do it when you put your hair back in the bun, but you tricked me :lol:
Sure, but I need a little bit of time. I edited the bun drop on Vimeo to fix typos on the credits and reached the 3 video limit (even though it was just the same video reposted twice when I edited out my mistakes). I might have to use youtube. I will update soon. Let me get it together for you.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
As promised: My Bun drop. Outside in natural light, so I would not have to worry about lighting or glare.

I put my camera on the rail of my wraparound porch and filmed this in my backyard. It is temporarily posted on vimeo, but it is just so you all can see it. I used two of my wash day songs, lol, hopefully it is not pulled before you can see it.

I pressed my hair and cut it on Thursday. Went back in on Friday and cut it again. I planned to cut for perfect shape but I don't have any splits or knots so I stopped here. My hair isn't styled in any of the photos or videos here. It is just pressed combed down and trimmed. I didn't even use a brush. I didn't do any ends tricks or filtering on any of the phots of videos. I didn't use any special treatments on my ends (just my regular deep conditioner all over during the wash process).

This time Last year for comparison:
I see the difference.

For 2024 I am enjoying my hair, I will still post but no challenges for me(I will still be doing personal challenges for my daughter though).
***I pressed my hair this flat on purpose, for the end of the year trim. It always gets fuller a few days later, when some of the product wears off, but it retains movement even if I am heavy on my cream leave in(used it's a 10 a small amount of chi silk infusion before pressing). In the video you can tell it is a lot fuller than it actually looks when it is laying flat and combed straight down. Both the video and final cut photo were taken today 12/23, no retouches or ends tricks. Added a photo of my September 2023 press for comparison(a softer press).

She did NOT come to play, but to slay.

And folks is dead.

With an EPIC Bun Drop Video

Showing Hair Around 26 inches to 28 inches Prior to Trim and Putting Wigs to Shame

Chicoro

@Lylddlebit ...

The scene opens on a wide leaf strewn, expanse of yard...

From stage left confidently walks in this Sun-lit, Goddess-like, Magnificent Creature with a Perfectly Proportioned Body

Over Six Minutes of Deliciousness and More than 15 Swings of Hair with Parting and Bunning and Dropping in One Single Video!

Then, astonishingly she announces, "I'm Done With Challenges -FO' EVA!" in a Thunderous mic drop.

WHAT! An Experience!!!

Last edited:

Chicoro

My thoughts:

-I need to tailor my regimen to my level laziness. There were times that I really didn’t have the desire to do my hair, but I still wanted to retain length and improve hair health. I had to find processes that would allow me to be successful.
-I went back to shampoo, because it supports my laziness. I just switched my shampoo to a more moisturizing product (Anika). I only clarify my hair if needed.
-Microtrims are necessary if I’m wearing my hair loose ( WNG, mini-twists/braids). I can stretch out my trims if my ends are tucked in.
-My blood pressure medication has been wreaking havoc on the density of my hair. I’m now concentrating on losing weight, in hopes that I can get my blood pressure under control and will no longer need medication.
-I now have staple products that keep my hair moisturized and provide protein. No more new friends.
-Mini-twists/braids are awesome! I can wear them under a wig when they get too frizzy. The take down is a beast, but worth it.

Overall, I’m happy with the progress I made. I’m happy for the recommendations and encouraging words from the crew. I really appreciate you guys!

My progress: Jan 1st and Dec 20th

Oh my goodness! This is about 6 to 8 inches of retained length!!! How much did you retain, please? Can you please share your routine in a nutshell because the results are AMAZING!!!​

Lylddlebit

@Lylddlebit ...

The scene opens on a wide leaf strewn, expanse of yard...

From stage left confidently walks in this Sun-lit, Goddess-like, Magnificent Creature with a Perfectly Proportioned Body

Over Six Minutes of Deliciousness and More than 15 Swings of Hair with Parting and Bunning and Dropping in One Single Video!

Then, astonishingly she announces, "I'm Done With Challenges -FO' EVA!" in a Thunderous mic drop.

WHAT! An Experience!!!

You're wonderful. I appreciate the value of the challenge. My first hide your hair challenge in 2009 was the first time I saw retention when trying to grow my hair. The second challenge was the first time I met a hair goal. This one made growing out my last setback fun BUUUUU-UUUUT I stick to them when I do them, even if breaking the rules would be better for my hair than following the rules or keeping my hair put a way a little longer would break the timeline of the reveal. So I do better"letting it rock" when my hair is in a good place and just giving it what I see it needs on wash days. 2024 hair will still be fun, but more chill.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

I don’t know what I want to do with my hair in 2024. Either I can seriously try to grow it out with washing 2x a week and bunning. Or get a cut with an amazing shape and wear it out all the time.

Right now my hair is in good condition, but it doesn’t look good when I wear it out. And if I’m going to cut it to make it look good I may do something extreme like the cut below. But I’m worried that a shag may be a lot of maintenance both for styling and regular cuts.

IMG_2498.jpeg

ckisland

Congratulations!

To what exactly would you attribute this healthiness?
2 things I think have helped:

1. Realizing that my hair isn't indestructible LOL! 450 on a titanium flatiron is the point of no return. So when I do flatiron, I push it to 440 but not beyond that.

2. Switching from blowdrying and flatironing weekly (even though it's faster) to rollersetting mainly with flexirods. They get my hair straight without the heat.

Chicoro

2 things I think have helped:

1. Realizing that my hair isn't indestructible LOL! 450 on a titanium flatiron is the point of no return. So when I do flatiron, I push it to 440 but not beyond that.

2. Switching from blowdrying and flatironing weekly (even though it's faster) to rollersetting mainly with flexirods. They get my hair straight without the heat.
You minimized heat!

Chicoro

That is my favorite Christmas movie and that is my favorite song from that movie!!
‘I’m Mister Heat Miser, Mr. 101!’,sing it boy!

Kindred Spirits and Souls, we are, you and l! Well, well, well!

A Year Without a Santa Claus is the movie, right? Heat Miser is one of two brothers, I think. He’s a hard sell and a shrewd negotiator, even as it pertains to snow and cold.This is my favorite song, too.

A close second would be,”Isn’t It Cozy in Here”, sung by that Mole from Thumbelina. I believe it too is another Jules /Rankin and Bass production just like the other stop motion movies such as the one with the Heat Miser.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

‘I’m Mister Heat Miser, Mr. 101!’,sing it boy!

Kindred Spirits and Souls, we are, you and l! Well, well, well!

A Year Without a Santa Claus is the movie, right? Heat Miser is one of two brothers, I think. He’s a hard sell and a shrewd negotiator, even as it pertains to snow and cold.This is my favorite song, too.

A close second would be,”Isn’t It Cozy in Here”, sung by that Mole from Thumbelina. I believe it too is another Jules /Rankin and Bass production just like the other stop motion movies such as the one with the Heat Miser.
I love the Rankin/Bass stop motion movies, but I’ve never seen Thumbilina. I’ll have to look for that one.

Chicoro

I love the Rankin/Bass stop motion movies, but I’ve never seen Thumbilina. I’ll have to look for that one.
Found it: It's a sequence in a film called, "The Day Dreamer". I think it's a series of vignettes, maybe.

Here's the link: The song, "Isn't Cozy," starts around the 30 minutes.

The Daydreamer 1966 Animated Jack Gilford MKV Pt 02​