Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2023

What would you like to address and improve as it relates to having luscious, healthy ends?

• Breakage

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Thinness

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Unevenness

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Split Ends

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Dryness

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • Roughness

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Knots

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Dullness

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density

Oh my goodness! This is about 6 to 8 inches of retained length!!! How much did you retain, please? Can you please share your routine in a nutshell because the results are AMAZING!!!​
Thank you! I retained approximately 5 1/4” in the back and on the sides. I retained 4” in the front. The disparity in length is due to muscle tension that I have within my forehead, temples, and parts of my neck.

I wash/condition weekly, but I rotate what I use to maintain protein/ moisture balance.

Current routine:
Prepoo- anything wet, lol, and hair oil. I prepoo to remove shed hair.

Week 1/3- Amika Hydro Rush shampoo and conditioner, Adwoa Baomint DC
Week 2- Amika shampoo and conditioner
Week 4- Olaplex #4, Amika shampoo, Adwoa Baomint DC, Olaplex #5, Amika conditioner

My hair was styled in mini-twists, WNG, two-strand flat twists into a bun, and I wore wigs. I washed my hair in 4 sections, whether it was in mini-twists/braids or free.
I used a clarifying shampoo once a quarter.
Micro-trimming was KEY to my retention. I had a small setback in my crown, because I didn’t microtrim that area for I was trying to get my layers to catch up. My hair is fine, so keeping my ends on a routine trim schedule is a must to minimize damage creeping up my strands. I microtrim during week 4 on blow-dried hair.

For 2024, I want to incorporate head massages and exclusively wear mini-braids under a wig. My goal is to minimize the growth disparity between sections of my head. I know that my hair grows in layers, but they would typically catch up to each other. That didn’t happen this year. Also, as mentioned in my previous post, I need to improve my overall health.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Thank you! I retained approximately 5 1/4” in the back and on the sides. I retained 4” in the front. The disparity in length is due to muscle tension that I have within my forehead, temples, and parts of my neck.

I wash/condition weekly, but I rotate what I use to maintain protein/ moisture balance.

Current routine:
Prepoo- anything wet, lol, and hair oil. I prepoo to remove shed hair.

Week 1/3- Amika Hydro Rush shampoo and conditioner, Adwoa Baomint DC
Week 2- Amika shampoo and conditioner
Week 4- Olaplex #4, Amika shampoo, Adwoa Baomint DC, Olaplex #5, Amika conditioner

My hair was styled in mini-twists, WNG, two-strand flat twists into a bun, and I wore wigs. I washed my hair in 4 sections, whether it was in mini-twists/braids or free.
I used a clarifying shampoo once a quarter.
Micro-trimming was KEY to my retention. I had a small setback in my crown, because I didn’t microtrim that area for I was trying to get my layers to catch up. My hair is fine, so keeping my ends on a routine trim schedule is a must to minimize damage creeping up my strands. I microtrim during week 4 on blow-dried hair.

For 2024, I want to incorporate head massages and exclusively wear mini-braids under a wig. My goal is to minimize the growth disparity between sections of my head. I know that my hair grows in layers, but they would typically catch up to each other. That didn’t happen this year. Also, as mentioned in my previous post, I need to improve my overall health.
Thank you for the detailed, thoughtful response. I appreciate it. One more request.....

You keep working on your overall health and getting off the blood pressure medicine.
Disparity???!! Girl, no one is thinking about a disparity. You have retained 4 to 5.25 inches: That is incredible!!!!!! You didn't do that with luck. That was accomplished via skill and knowledge.

"Micro-trimming was KEY to my retention. I had a small setback in my crown, because I didn’t microtrim that area for I was trying to get my layers to catch up. My hair is fine, so keeping my ends on a routine trim schedule is a must to minimize damage creeping up my strands. I microtrim during week 4 on blow-dried hair."

Can you walk me through your micro-trim process, as if you are teaching me how to do your hair, please? My Spidey senses are telling me this is very, very important for length retention. Your retention results speak for themselves.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Thank you for the detailed, thoughtful response. I appreciate it. One more request.....

You keep working on your overall health and getting off the blood pressure medicine.
Disparity???!! Girl, no one is thinking about a disparity. You have retained 4 to 5.25 inches: That is incredible!!!!!! You didn't do that with luck. That was accomplished via skill and knowledge.

"Micro-trimming was KEY to my retention. I had a small setback in my crown, because I didn’t microtrim that area for I was trying to get my layers to catch up. My hair is fine, so keeping my ends on a routine trim schedule is a must to minimize damage creeping up my strands. I microtrim during week 4 on blow-dried hair."

Can you walk me through your micro-trim process, as if you are teaching me how to do your hair, please? My Spidey senses are telling me this is very, very important for length retention. Your retention results speak for themselves.
I will see if I can find a video or I may make a video.

faithVA

I straightened my hair Monday and finally trimmed my ends. I used my SplitEnder which I still really like. If this one ever breaks I will definitely buy another.

But my ends are in good shape. I only had to take off 1/2" which is good for me. The shorter my hair is the more splits I have. So I am hoping to have fewer splits next year. I will just keep doing what I'm doing.

Chicoro

I will see if I can find a video or I may make a video.
Thank you. I think your gains and retention are incredible. Couple that with the fact that you are on blood pressure medicine which so often impacts the hair. Now, to have almost six inches of retention AND to be on medication, that some pure magic, baby!

I KNOW it's not magic and it's analysis, knowledge and process. That's why I think it is so important to be shared and documented.​

Chicoro

I straightened my hair Monday and finally trimmed my ends. I used my SplitEnder which I still really like. If this one ever breaks I will definitely buy another.

But my ends are in good shape. I only had to take off 1/2" which is good for me. The shorter my hair is the more splits I have. So I am hoping to have fewer splits next year. I will just keep doing what I'm doing.
Congratulations to you!

Can you share what you are doing to retain your longer length, please?

Last edited:

Chicoro

I straightened my hair & trimmed my ends today.

This is from July 11th after my big chop & transitioning for 26 months

View attachment 493403

This is from today
View attachment 493405

The bulk of your hair moved from the first line to the fourth line on that shirt. That's a gain of about 3 to 4 inches. ANOTHER ONE who has grown and retained ALL her length!

You, too, what was your process? How did you do this? Wow!

Chicoro

Come on over to the 2024 thread if your are interested.

faithVA

Congratulations to you!

Can you share what you are doing to retain your longer length, please?

I guess I could have done a better update. :lol:

I'm not doing anything special. I stay consistent and keep it simple. Every 4 to 7 days I cleanse and condition and I always use a moisturizing shampoo for my last wash. It has helped with dryness. I use K18 every month which has fix bond issues as a result of coloring my hair.

I only use a leave in or gel when styling and keep my hair in twists or wash and go.

The most shampoo, K18 and straightening on low heat have been the things that have given me the best result.

Just going to do the same next year.

Chicoro

I guess I could have done a better update. :lol:

I'm not doing anything special. I stay consistent and keep it simple. Every 4 to 7 days I cleanse and condition and I always use a moisturizing shampoo for my last wash. It has helped with dryness. I use K18 every month which has fix bond issues as a result of coloring my hair.

I only use a leave in or gel when styling and keep my hair in twists or wash and go.

The most shampoo, K18 and straightening on low heat have been the things that have given me the best result.

Just going to do the same next year.
Thank you for responding in detail!

VinDieselsWifey

The bulk of your hair moved from the first line to the fourth line on that shirt. That's a gain of about 3 to 4 inches. ANOTHER ONE who has grown and retained ALL her length!

You, too, what was your process? How did you do this? Wow!
Thanks!
I mainly keep my hair either in twists or mini braids under wigs & hats. I’ve been pretty consistent with my vitamin regimen (multi-vitamin, MSM, marine collagen, biotin, bamboo extract).
I wash & deep condition 1-2 times a week. I seal with Shea butter. I use growth aids but I haven’t been consistent with them. I use homemade Ayurveda products. I mainly use my fingers to detangle.

VinDieselsWifey

Awesome progress in just 5 months!
You were just creeping past the first line and now you're creeping past line 3? That's fantastic!

Also, I love the art on your wall!
Thanks!
At first I didn’t think I had made much progress but when I saw my pic from July I see that I have.

I love that pic on my wall also. I saw it somewhere online and had to have it.

Chicoro

Thanks!
I mainly keep my hair either in twists or mini braids under wigs & hats. I’ve been pretty consistent with my vitamin regimen (multi-vitamin, MSM, marine collagen, biotin, bamboo extract).
I wash & deep condition 1-2 times a week. I seal with Shea butter. I use growth aids but I haven’t been consistent with them. I use homemade Ayurveda products. I mainly use my fingers to detangle.
Thank you for the detailed response. By the way, your hair looks super thick, too. Great job with your hair.

Question: Can you share your growth aids? Did you use an Ayurvedic oil? What does it contain? How do use it? How often do you use it?

I hope I’m not bothering you. It’s just that you have had such phenomenal growth in such a short time.

After these questions, I’ll try to leave you alone.

I keep asking people because the details are what are so important. Tiny tweaks or even the order in which processes are performed can make huge shifts.

I see and look for patterns. That’s why I keep asking people what they did, what they are doing and what they are using.

VinDieselsWifey

Thank you for the detailed response. By the way, your hair looks super thick, too. Great job with your hair.

Question: Can you share your growth aids? Did you use an Ayurvedic oil? What does it contain? How do use it? How often do you use it?

I hope I’m not bothering you. It’s just that you have had such phenomenal growth in such a short time.

After these questions, I’ll try to leave you alone.

I keep asking people because the details are what are so important. Tiny tweaks or even the order in which processes are performed can make huge shifts.

I see and look for patterns. That’s why I keep asking people what they did, what they are doing and what they are using.
Thanks.

For my Ayurveda products, I make tea rinses and infused oils (amla, brahmi, bhringraj, neem, fenugreek, hibiscus, curry leaves, kapoor kalchi, aritha, shikakai)

I also do henna masks around every 4-6 weeks.

I try to use my Ayurvedic tea rinses weekly, but I’ve slacked off the last few months. I make two separate tea rinses, one for cleansing (kapoor kalchi, aritha, shikakai) and one for conditioning/strengthening (amla, brahmi, bhringraj, neem, fenugreek, hibiscus, curry leaves).

I pre-oil with extra virgin coconut oil, then use the cleansing rinse, let it sit about 10-15 minutes, then rinse it out. Then I’ll use the conditioning rinse, let it sit about 20-30 minutes, then rinse & deep condition.

I’ve been using Camille Rose Cocoa Nibs & Honey growth serum off & on. It has Ayurvedic ingredients.

I’ve been using my stash of X-Cel 21. I usually add some rosemary & peppermint essential oils to it. I’ve also mixed it with Bondi Boost Intensive Scalp Spray.

I haven’t been as consistent with all these products as I would like, but I’m going to try next year to use my growth aides daily & my Ayurvedic rinses weekly.

Chicoro

Thanks.

For my Ayurveda products, I make tea rinses and infused oils (amla, brahmi, bhringraj, neem, fenugreek, hibiscus, curry leaves, kapoor kalchi, aritha, shikakai)

I also do henna masks around every 4-6 weeks.

I try to use my Ayurvedic tea rinses weekly, but I’ve slacked off the last few months. I make two separate tea rinses, one for cleansing (kapoor kalchi, aritha, shikakai) and one for conditioning/strengthening (amla, brahmi, bhringraj, neem, fenugreek, hibiscus, curry leaves).

I pre-oil with extra virgin coconut oil, then use the cleansing rinse, let it sit about 10-15 minutes, then rinse it out. Then I’ll use the conditioning rinse, let it sit about 20-30 minutes, then rinse & deep condition.

I’ve been using Camille Rose Cocoa Nibs & Honey growth serum off & on. It has Ayurvedic ingredients.

I’ve been using my stash of X-Cel 21. I usually add some rosemary & peppermint essential oils to it. I’ve also mixed it with Bondi Boost Intensive Scalp Spray.

I haven’t been as consistent with all these products as I would like, but I’m going to try next year to use my growth aides daily & my Ayurvedic rinses weekly.
Thank you!
It looks there is NO commercial shampoo, or no shampoo of any kind in your regimen. Is that correct?

VinDieselsWifey

Thank you!
It looks there is NO commercial shampoo, or no shampoo of any kind in your regimen. Is that correct?
I forgot about my commercial shampoos.

I use Morrocco Method clay shampoos diluted with water when I’m not using a tea rinse. I have no problem using this weekly.

I’ll also use Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo or The Mane Choice Heavenly Halo shampoo (both diluted with water) when I want to use actual shampoo, maybe 1-2 times a month.

I’ll use Redken Cleansing Cream or Joico K-pak Chelating shampoo to clarify, maybe every 6-8 weeks.

When I’m using heat I’ll use Olaplex shampoo or Redken Extreme shampoo. I only use heat 3-4 times a year.

I use the matching conditioner when using shampoo.

I use medium/heavy protein once a month. I use Joico K-pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor, Redken C.A.T, Aphogee 2-Step, or Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair.

I use light protein weekly/every 2 weeks. I use Millcreek Keratin.

For deep conditioner I use SheaMoisture Manuka Honey, The Mane Choice Heavenly Halo, Joico Moisture Recovery Balm.

Chicoro

I forgot about my commercial shampoos.

I use Morrocco Method clay shampoos diluted with water when I’m not using a tea rinse. I have no problem using this weekly.

I’ll also use Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo or The Mane Choice Heavenly Halo shampoo (both diluted with water) when I want to use actual shampoo, maybe 1-2 times a month.

I’ll use Redken Cleansing Cream or Joico K-pak Chelating shampoo to clarify, maybe every 6-8 weeks.

When I’m using heat I’ll use Olaplex shampoo or Redken Extreme shampoo. I only use heat 3-4 times a year.

I use the matching conditioner when using shampoo.

I use medium/heavy protein once a month. I use Joico K-pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor, Redken C.A.T, Aphogee 2-Step, or Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair.

I use light protein weekly/every 2 weeks. I use Millcreek Keratin.

For deep conditioner I use SheaMoisture Manuka Honey, The Mane Choice Heavenly Halo, Joico Moisture Recovery Balm.
Thanks. Commercial Shampoo use is minimized to about 1 to 2 times a month, if I don’t count the clay wash or the clarifying shampoos.

yamilee21

@Lylddlebit ...

The scene opens on a wide leaf strewn, expanse of yard...

From stage left confidently walks in this Sun-lit, Goddess-like, Magnificent Creature with a Perfectly Proportioned Body

Over Six Minutes of Deliciousness and More than 15 Swings of Hair with Parting and Bunning and Dropping in One Single Video!

Then, astonishingly she announces, "I'm Done With Challenges -FO' EVA!" in a Thunderous mic drop.

WHAT! An Experience!!!

I didn’t even need to rewatch, that’s how accurate @Chicoro’s commentary is! :lol:

Chicoro

As promised. I am toying with the idea of a youtube channel with the way I do hair stuff. Testing it out. Here is the video you requested.

Quit toying and quit playing around...

And

just do it! :giggle:

Ooooooo, now that bun drop video is going to stay up through perpetuity. :roadrunner::roadrunner::roadrunner::roadrunner:

Runs to go post the video in the 2024 thread!

Last edited:

MzSwift

Trying to finish updating all of the threads and challenges I participated in this year.
I have really enjoyed participating in this challenge with you ladies. I loved the humor and how helpful you all are in here. I learned so much from you ladies in this thread, thank you so much!! :love2:

OK, here are my results from focusing on physically protecting my ends and remembering to add extra product to them. I also included bun baggying at night and overall GHE, which both helped to keep my ends moisturized and no breakage! I did a trim after I took these photos to start the new year off w freshly manicured ends.

For reference, I'm braided up 99% of the time. I rarely wear my hair loose. And I only straighten to for EOTY/Progress/Challenge photos. And then I braid it right back up, lol. I like it braided. :biggrin: So I don't have photos focusing on my ends but I think the overall improvement in my hair can still show through!

Dec 2022- after cutting out my locs that year

1704135175441.png

Dec 2023

1704135221264.png

1704135139027.png

1704135555786.png