Mary Mary's new video-GOD IN ME. Too worldly?

Is this song too WORLDLY?

• It's lifting up God with an upbeat sound. All good to me!

Votes: 49 56.3%
  • No. We aren't to follow this world. Throwing "God" in it doesn't make it right!

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

divya

My response to this is the same as in an earlier thread, just to offer a verse for contemplation...

1 Peter 2:9 - But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

I pray that we as Christians truly realize who we are, who and what we are called to be.

But yes, there is an older thread about this song... There are some posts you may find quite interesting, including one where someone posted this link to a video where Mary Mary said that the CD has "club bangers." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXFwFK-InyU

Thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=312975&highlight=mary

mellowmel

I don't like this video. What's the point with all these secular artists in there, especially Kanye West along with his "jump off" Amber Rose who's a known bisexual. Why are we conforming and making club bangers?! I did like the song but after a while I'd rather listen to Marvin Sapp, Fred Hammond and the likes. I don't appreciate this video and all of this glamorous, material stuff. I thought the plot would be about 2 people who had this stuff but they would show them going home and getting on their knees to pray. Not some runway show with secular artists in the audience. And why are they dressed like that? That whole style was hip-hop and did not remind me that I was looking at gospel artists. As Tye Tribbett's song said as a Christian we must Stand Out. Not conform.

BeautifulFlower

I dont like the video because it just looks dumb but I love the song. The video is a bit weird with the type secular artist as well. But they have said (and say) the same thing Kirk, LeCrae, Tye Tribbett. I do believe in contextualizing the gospel and how when deliever the message (meaning using some cultural standards to deliever the message well keeping the gospel the same). The choice of artist in the video was not very good at all but I have no problem with the song.

Ramya

What on earth do they have on? It's just not age appropriate but anyway... I don't like the video or the song so... It is geared toward bipolar Christians-one foot in and one foot out at the club. :nono:

sholly6

I'm not sure what I think I'm in my forty's and came up in a Holy ghost church, maybe it's for the young people. :perplexed

BeautifulFlower

Thats another thing. I believe they have a tendency to try too hard with the imagine they give off. They are in their thirties and I find they dress like they are teenagers often. Its like dress your age please...

meka

I have no problem with the song or the video. Maybe the secular artists in the video are saved but not Christian??? Who knows.... I see nothing wrong with their clothes. Maybe they don't wanna dress like "adults". They are comfortable and it shows.

Sorry, Kanye is in the video. My bad..... but hey, he still may be saved...they don't always do EVERYTHING right.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

This is a comment from youtube I thought was interesting:

For everybody who is slow...the song is talking about those people who are in the secular world (i.e. Beyonce, Kanye) who does secular music, but they are people who believe in God. Mary Mary (who are gospel singers) decided to do this song for those people. The song is letting you know that Christians don't look or act a certain way. God is in everything that everybody does. Geesh...

meka

For everybody who is slow...the song is talking about those people who are in the secular world (i.e. Beyonce, Kanye) who does secular music, but they are people who believe in God. Mary Mary (who are gospel singers) decided to do this song for those people. The song is letting you know that Christians don't look or act a certain way. God is in everything that everybody does. Geesh...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I dont think that is what they are talking about...

PaperClip

Interesting responses.... and I'm a little surprised at what I'm going to say. I preface my remarks with this (which I said in another thread on a similar topic):

1. We need to STOP putting LABELS on these folk. Stop calling them "saved". Stop calling them gospel singers. If nothing else, they are ENTERTAINERS. They sing. I did not witness them repent and confess Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior so who am I to say if they are saved or not? I do not live their daily lives so who am I to know if they are living a life of holiness?

Now to the song/video:

1. The MTV generation has really removed the imagination and music appreciation from us. I couldn't understand the words for the video.

2. The song has a nice beat but couldn't make out the lyrics. Which is a downfall of some of this so-called "gospel" music: can't hear the lyrics because the music is too distracting.

3. The video is cute (models). I didn't think the clothes were age-inappropriate. It's a MUSIC VIDEO! With a fashion show concept.

4. And it's interesting that people see what they want to see. I didn't focus on the secular artists. I saw Kierra Sheard and Israel Houghton (my favorite!) So it's interesting where some placed their focus.

5. So overall, this video was not the worst offender in the gospel music genre but it's not my flavor.

ETA: the poll does not include a response that captures my sentiment on the subject matter.

*Frisky*

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I dont think that is what they are talking about...

hahahahaha..I wondered if anyone here would agree. As far as the video, I see both sides. It does appear secular being that various hip hop people are in the video and just the overall feel of it. Gospel music took this turn years ago though probably with Kirk Franklin or maybe even before him I am not really sure. It is the new generation of gospel music. I visited a friends church a month or so ago and she told me that I wouldn't hear any hymns at her church because they are very modern and it is a younger pastor and congregation. I didn't mind that but it just made me wonder if people get side tracked sometimes and they don't look at all aspects of what it means to serve God rather it be to sing a hymn or do something else "old school" as some people might see it. Sometimes going back to our roots in the church is what some people need.

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
:nono:

*sigh*

*sigh*

*sigh*

I don't like this video. I mean what's with all the boobs showing and they're huge boobs. That's something for private home entertainment for husbands.

Geesh :nono:

Last edited:

MorenitaBarbie

I think people are over analyzing the video and the song. How can expect to reach the people of the world while wearing choir robes, and singing hymns? That was one of the things the kept me running from the church for so long. I literally did not want any parts of heaven. Sitting there bored listening to angels sing all day was not my idea of fun. Hell seemed like more fun to me like one big party.

Somebody needs to let people who are not saved know that being a christian is fun, and that we serve a fun and loving God. And if God finds their video or song to be inappropriate wouldnt he be the one to deal with them?

Shimmie

Staff member
I think people are over analyzing the video and the song. How can expect to reach the people of the world while wearing choir robes, and singing hymns? That was one of the things the kept me running from the church for so long. I literally did not want any parts of heaven. Sitting there bored listening to angels sing all day was not my idea of fun. Hell seemed like more fun to me like one big party.

Somebody needs to let people who are not saved know that being a christian is fun, and that we serve a fun and loving God. And if God finds their video or song to be inappropriate wouldnt he be the one to deal with them?
I hear what you're saying MorenitaBarbie, and not too long ago, I was inclined to 'accept' that especially when Kirk Franklin came on the scene.

However, I know a lot a men who are 'not churched'. And the one thing they always say to me is this. "I appreciate you for being 'different'. You're not out here showing eveything and it makes me respect you and your God all the more and want to know more about your faith. "

These same men, share time and again about the 'Christian Entertainers', that they're no different than what they see in the street, so why bother with the 'change'.

Mary, Mary look like tramps in that video. It doesn't take a choir robe to not show your boobs and your butt and gut hanging out. It's just plain nasty looking. They know better and even the world knows better.

You wouldn't dress that way just to reach out to the lost. You have too much character to do so. And I don't have to know you personally to say this. It's just common knowledge.

All they're doing is encouraging the 'world' to come get a Jesus Pass and still stay the way they are. When a person's heart changes for Jesus, their behaviour, mindset and outward appearance changes with it.

It's just like Foxy Scholar shared, they are 'Entertainers'. Anybody can sing a Gospel song. It's a well know fact that most Black Folks can sing and dance. Okay, that's fine. But when we're out there ministering to the masses, we are too behave and dress accordingly; not look as if we're offering our bodies as a peep show on the side. That's just plain ridiculous. Mary, Mary knows better.

Even before I was living saved, I knew how not to dress. Mary Mary are dressing no different than folks who eat, drink, and sleep in bed with the world.

It's pitiful.

Sorry, MBarbie.... :Rose: It's not you, I'm venting about. It's just that seeing them in this video, made me wonder what's the real message? It's truly not Jesus. It's look at my boobs! Sing another song and leave Jesus out of it.

:meditate: I'm cool :lol:

Last edited:

tyte curlz

:look:Uh i agree somewhat with the post a sin is a sin is a sin, just bc they are on tv or in the music industry doesnt make their sins greater, we just notice them.

But what they don't know is when you go home
And get behind closed doors man you hit the floor
And what they can't see is your on your knees
So the next time you get it just tell em

its the GOD in me

Shimmie

Staff member
:look:Uh i agree somewhat with the post a sin is a sin is a sin, just bc they are on tv or in the music industry doesnt make their sins greater, we just notice them.

But what they don't know is when you go home
And get behind closed doors man you hit the floor
And what they can't see is your on your knees
So the next time you get it just tell em

its the GOD in me

Why do Christians hide behind this just to justify their worldly behaviour?

Ummmmm, ask me how I know.

That's all I 'm saying.

tyte curlz

Why do Christians hide behind this just to justify their worldly behaviour?

Ummmmm, ask me how I know.

That's all I 'm saying.

im not sure what you mean...
but i didnt take it as in hide.
It should be seen in all that you do that you are Christian

Personally when i met "crusaders and bible thumpers" as a child i would always wonder why they did this and did that and didnt live 100% to GODs word and so forth. But as a young adult i see how it can turn into a judgement about every little thing you do. "oh your not living for GOD!" "Whould a Christian behave like that?" "That's not in the bible" most believers that i come across would rather show their devotion only to the lord and not to us. JMO

meka

How are Christians supposed to look? I understand modesty but your modesty may not be someone else's. Christians right here on this very board gossip and do everything else but people are supposed to know you are Christian? You have to listen to what folks are saying not how they look. You are to be who you are 24-7. Whether its for your husband or not. You are to be the SAME. Some talk about the beat of the song and how "wordly" it sounds. Nowadays, EVERYTHING is sounding the same. Secular artists have often said that they get their influence from gospel artists. So what's the difference?

inthepink

How are Christians supposed to look? I understand modesty but your modesty may not be someone else's. Christians right here on this very board gossip and do everything else but people are supposed to know you are Christian? You have to listen to what folks are saying not how they look. You are to be who you are 24-7. Whether its for your husband or not. You are to be the SAME. Some talk about the beat of the song and how "wordly" it sounds. Nowadays, EVERYTHING is sounding the same. Secular artists have often said that they get their influence from gospel artists. So what's the difference?

I disagree with this. What you show/do for your husband doesn't need to be what you show to the outside world. For example, if you dress sexy for your husband, you don't need to dress sexy everyday for the outside world just be "who you are." :nono:

meka

I disagree with this. What you show/do for your husband doesn't need to be what you show to the outside world. For example, if you dress sexy for your husband, you don't need to dress sexy everyday for the outside world just be "who you are." :nono:

Their sexy may not be your sexy. I just wonder who makes other folks the authority on what people wear and whether it's inapporpiate.

inthepink

Their sexy may not be your sexy. I just wonder who makes other folks the authority on what people wear and whether it's inappropriate.

I don't think anyone has any authority except God.

ETA: I was just giving an example regarding husband/wife and sexiness.

Shimmie

Staff member
How are Christians supposed to look?

I understand modesty but your modesty may not be someone else's. Christians right here on this very board gossip and do everything else but people are supposed to know you are Christian? You have to listen to what folks are saying not how they look. You are to be who you are 24-7. Whether its for your husband or not. You are to be the SAME. Some talk about the beat of the song and how "wordly" it sounds. Nowadays, EVERYTHING is sounding the same. Secular artists have often said that they get their influence from gospel artists. So what's the difference?
Not like a street munchkin begging for attention.

Proverbs 31 says it all. It wasn't her exposure of her bosom that gave her virtue, it was her character.

Ce-Ce Winans is a perfect example of humility and Christianity in public ministry. She brings the attention where it belongs, which is upon God in worship, honor and praise.

It's a lie to think that we have to compromise virtue to gather those lost in the world. What this type of dress says to the young and lost is that, you don't have to change a thing. Stay the way you are. Keep your tat's and your cracks with your low rider jeans, keep showing your belly and by all means let the boobs hang out to play.

There's a dress code for Ministry which is indeed Ministry. :yep: It's not rocket science. Even sinners know the difference.

God has blessed me and He has allowed me to be beautifully endowed, but it's for my husband to see. And just because someone disagrees doesn't make it any less right. When men and women are in Ministry, they are to present themselves as such and not less.

How is a man supposed to focus on Jesus when a huge pair of boobs are jumping up in his face? Or a shaking booty. It's no different than the club. He's not going to take Jesus seriously. It's one of the reasons, these men do come to Church and think they can still have sex outside of marriage with the 'Church' sisters. Afterall, they don't look nor act any different than what they have in the clubs. The jumping and the bumping are all the same. Jesus is just a label to them, not a broken spirit nor a contrite heart, which is what God desires and requires.

These men are not planted by the waters but by lust of the eye and it's not a game. This Jesus message becomes lost to them. The same applies to these Christian men who dress with the tight jeans, open shirts, and so on. The girls looking at them are not into receiving Jesus so much as they are looking to be scored by one of them.

And before anyone jumps in to share about a big mass of hearts that come to the Altar for salvation. The question is , "How many stay there and to what measure have they surrendered their all to Jesus?".

Our clothing does make a difference. There's a time and a place for everything. When one is 'Ministering', than the dress code calls for such.

I understand women who wish to look attractive, and I also understand a casual relaxed dress code, I'm one of them, but there is a standard that needs to be honored in the name of Ministry. When I 'm ministering, I'm not out in my Dance class leotards or tight capris. There's a place for that in my class, but it's not in public Ministry.

Mary Mary are not built to wear the expose' of their excessive cleavage. Even my children know that. Folks aren't dumb. They know. Even the folks in Church who 'object' to what I'm saying know this. It's just plain common sense, that's all.

Blessings....

hurricane

We now have Christians who want to express their individuality with the way they dress, look, and sound. I don't like it. When you are ministering you should decrease and God should increase. Too much us and not enough Him. People become upset when corrected because this is " their " style. ( Arrogance/Pride).

When you meet Queen Elizabeth there is certain protocol because you are in the presene of royalty ( here on earth ). Why should the Father be any different?

MA2010

We now have Christians who want to express their individuality with the way they dress, look, and sound. I don't like it. When you are ministering you should decrease and God should increase. Too much us and not enough Him. People become upset when corrected because this is " their " style. ( Arrogance/Pride).

When you meet Queen Elizabeth there is certain protocol because you are in the presene of royalty ( here on earth ). Why should the Father be any different?

Gone and preach Hurricane!!! I agree with all that.............:grin:!!!

I don't care for the song or the video :nono:. Just my honest opinion.

Shimmie

Staff member

Good for you! :clapping: This is the Gospel Truth, Hurricane. And you just 'blew' the devil away with it, too, with his lying self.

I was just talking to my daughter about this topic of discussion and she said exactly what you shared above. "Too much us and not enough Him." And she also shared how there are some people who get upset when corrected, because they don't want to change or feel convicted.

You're so right about protocol and the Queen. My Pastor tells us all the time, that if we can give honor to those in authority here on earth, how much more should we then give unto the Lord? For He is MORE than Worthy to be honored and praised. Praise Him! Bless the name of Jesus!

The world laughs at us. They think we feel that we are 'missing' something in our faith and that we come to the world for completion.

A guy told me once that he didn't see much point in coming to Church because it wasn't much different than what he was seeing in the clubs. Men want to respect women and they 'do' respect women who show respect for themselves.

We don't needs boobs and butts as 'fish bait' for Jesus. It's by His Spirit, which will draw them, saith the Lord.

:grouphug2:

Last edited:

MA2010

Good for you! :clapping: This is the Gospel Truth, Hurricane. And you just 'blew' the devil away with it, too, with his lying self.

I was just talking to my daughter about this topic of discussion and she said exactly what you shared above. "Too much us and not enough Him." And she also shared how there are some people who get upset when corrected, because they don't want to change or feel convicted.

You're so right about protocol and the Queen. My Pastor tells us all the time, that if we can give honor to those in authority here on earth, how much more should we then give unto the Lord? For He is MORE than Worthy to be honored and praised. Praise Him! Bless the name of Jesus!

The world laughs at us. They think we feel that we are 'missing' something in our faith and that we come to the world for completion.

A guy told me once that he didn't see much point in coming to Church because it wasn't much different than what he was seeing in the clubs. Men want to respect women and they 'do' respect women who show respect for themselves.

We don't needs boobs and butts as 'fish bait' for Jesus. It's by His Spirit, which will draw them, saith the Lord.

:grouphug2:

I don'y feel like I am missing out on anything. I'm learning each and everyday to forget my flesh and just follow Christ.

I have family members that chastise me to this day because they just don't get why they as Christians can't go to clubs, booty shake, "drank", and carry on like everybody else.

"Christians" can do what they please, but I know that God has set me apart from that when I was saved by the blood of Jesus Christ :yep:. My convictions are just that........MINE!!!!

............let me go humble myself Shimmie. You got me all worked up. :grin: